Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless E-REVO Problem. Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brushless E-REVO Problem. Need HELP!

When I bought it used, the guy had already pretty much melted the slipper gear, I ran it on fully charged 3S 5000 Lipos yesterday after tightening the slipper a little bit more, run OK for a little bit then WRRRR it was slipping pretty bad. So I shut it down.

Took apart the slipper gear, it was melted and the bolts on it had even melted and moved, the plate was scorched up a little bit, anyway replaced EVERYTHING in the slipper because I bought a full replacement one even the back plate and little pin I installed were new, SO I PLUGGED the ESC from the MOTOR, BUT....I forgot how they went back on? I tried what I thought at first and all I get it 6 BEEPS and a FLASHING GREEN LIGHT, no throttle or reverse response at all tried looking all over on hwo it's connected and it seems there are some differences so i'm a bit lost. Anyone know which goes in what plug? Looking down over the motor it goes LEFT to RIGHT in colors WHITE, RED, BLACK.

Anyone have any ideas? I even switched the batteries and checked that the traxxas connection is solid, it even sparks a little pop everytime i plug in the second battery so powers going through there.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Brushless E-REVO Problem. Need HELP!

calibrate your ESC with your radio...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM
JUCD VPR

Ok i'll try that. Does it need to be done everytime it gets disconnected? I'm headed to go calibrate it now so we'll see.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM
JUCD VPR

What is the proper wire plug in sequence?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Bump * still trying to figure this out.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM
ScottKelly911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump * still trying to figure this out.
I can't help you but if you ask this on the Traxxas forum http://monster.traxxas.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 Ibet you can get a quick answer. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
JUCD VPR

I can;t log into that because I have a yahoo e-mail and you need a e-mail you PAID for? Weird?

Anyway still struggling to figure out the problem.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I can;t log into that because I have a yahoo e-mail and you need a e-mail you PAID for? Weird?

Anyway still struggling to figure out the problem.
Thats really not that weird, they are just trying to cut down on spam. Nearly every internet provider will supply you a free e-mail. As an example I used my verizon.net email for the traxxas forum but my normal hotmail for everything else. No big deal

But back to your original question, the sequence doesn't matter in the MMM, plug them in any order and try it. If it works, you are good to go. If the motor spins in reverse just simply switch two of the wires and you will be fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
JUCD VPR

Nothing works, I plug it in, turn on the controller, then swoitch the truck ON< it beeps 6 times for it showing I have the 2 - 3 s batteries and then the ESC BLINKS GREEN, no response from the controller, when I push the button into reverse it blinks RED. So what do I do just attampt to reprogram it?

Which leads me to why do I need to reprogram it? Just because I unplugges the battery or is there something else that may be happening that I may not be aware of?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
BigTb17

Nothing works, I plug it in, turn on the controller, then swoitch the truck ON< it beeps 6 times for it showing I have the 2 - 3 s batteries and then the ESC BLINKS GREEN, no response from the controller, when I push the button into reverse it blinks RED. So what do I do just attampt to reprogram it?

Which leads me to why do I need to reprogram it? Just because I unplugges the battery or is there something else that may be happening that I may not be aware of?
Is it possible you bumped the trim or possibly even the reversing switch on the transmitter? Just unplugging and re-connecting things shouldn't cause you to have to re-calibrate it (not saying it never happens, just that it's not a given that if you disconnect things you will definitely have to re-calibrate/re-program). Does the steering work?

When you are refering to the wire colors are you talking about the motor wires, or the ESC wires where they plug into the receiver? The motor wires being wrong would make the motor spin backwards, but wouldn't stop it from working (unless it was a sensored system).
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

Is it possible you bumped the trim or possibly even the reversing switch on the transmitter? Just unplugging and re-connecting things shouldn't cause you to have to re-calibrate it (not saying it never happens, just that it's not a given that if you disconnect things you will definitely have to re-calibrate/re-program). Does the steering work?

When you are refering to the wire colors are you talking about the motor wires, or the ESC wires where they plug into the receiver? The motor wires being wrong would make the motor spin backwards, but wouldn't stop it from working (unless it was a sensored system).
Well now I'm a bit worried now, I did tug on the motor wires a few times on accident when I was trying to install the new Slipper gear so I hope I didn't do anything to the motor or ESC wires?

But YES I was referring to the motor wires. When I plug them in , in any order I get all 6 Beeps, but the green light flashes over and over, when I hit the REVERSE it blinks RED. So no, no motor spins in either direction. I did not check the steering but I don;t think it worked either but i'll check when I get home. All I get are blinking lights. I ran the truck the day prior and it SCREAMED across the field and worked well but still had a slipper problem, ever since I unplugged the motor and installed the new gear I have had the problem.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
BigTb17

Did you actually even disconnect the wire going to the receiver (from the ESC)? If not, then that isn't likely the issue (though it might still be worth making sure it didn't get pulled loose or anything). However, if that was plugged in backwards it could cause an issue similar to what you are experiencing.

If the steering works then I would simply start by re-calibrating. Just make sure your throttle trim is centered first. If the steering doesn't work then it becomes more important to know whether or not you unplugged the receiver wire. If you did, then hopefully it's just connected wrong. If you didn't, then there may be another issue.

Is this a stock E-Revo (with the Castle brushless system)? If so, I'll check mine (same Castle system, just not on a Revo) when I get home, because I can't remember if the steering actually works before the ESC arms or not. I think so, but I want to be sure before telling you to use it as a diagnostic aid. If nobody else knows off hand and posts here before I get home, I'll check mine and post.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
JUCD VPR

I just got home, PLugged in the motor wires WHITE< RED
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

Ah HAH I feel like an IDIOT. I MUST have bumped the trim, I just looked at it again running over the posts again. I returned it back to the original "Middle" position and the truck made the start up bleraereererer and BAM she's working like a dream again! Now I need to go test out and properly break in the new spur gear.

THANK YOU and sorry for my foolish mistake. I appreciate all the help, I feel like a noob again lol.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
BigTb17

No problem. Glad it was something simple.