Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Maxamps Out of their Mind????

Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

ORIGINAL: Access

Again if you look here:

http://access.time.angelfire.com/bat...t_data_01.html
Angelfire? What is it, 1995? Or did you have to move it from your GeoCities site? [sm=lol.gif]

haha... Just playin with ya man. [&:] Anytime I see something hosted on angelfire, I have to comment on it. Takes me back to the good old days of the web, in fact.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redfisher-

Did your wife go into real labor yet? I have been away all day but just I got back. I wanted to see if you had headed to the hospital.

By the way, I had an old boat that I just sold from 1957 that is called a "Red Fish". Does that have anything to do with your screen name?

-Austin
Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
mechanizeddeath

Welcome back Austin.

I figured you'd vacated the thread. [&:]
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: austinelse

redfisher-

Did your wife go into real labor yet? I have been away all day but just I got back. I wanted to see if you had headed to the hospital.

By the way, I had an old boat that I just sold from 1957 that is called a ''Red Fish''. Does that have anything to do with your screen name?

-Austin
No not yet [] And she looks angry, Soon I hope. Redfisher was one of the first guys in canada to have a fishing show that i watched as a kid and loved it.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Testing complete.

Lipo Test #2

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/
Yeah, well that's bloody useless isn't it.

A 30 amp load test. Great. Obviously they've never heard of a Savage Flux, which is going to pull a bit more than that, and happens to be a bash truck.
Its not useless. It shows relevant results without overly stressing the packs. Now read this article when they test a pack at its rated max amp draw...

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/dischargin...c-lipo-at-30c/
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Testing complete.

Lipo Test #2

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/
Yeah, well that's bloody useless isn't it.

A 30 amp load test. Great. Obviously they've never heard of a Savage Flux, which is going to pull a bit more than that, and happens to be a bash truck.
Its not useless. It shows relevant results without overly stressing the packs. Now read this article when they test a pack at its rated max amp draw...

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/dischargin...c-lipo-at-30c/
No, it's useless. The test does not reflect any real world situation you would ever see in ground rc and is therefore irrelevant. Plus it is common knowledge that lipos warm under load and perform better at those warmer temperatures, were all the packs pre warmed before test to make surethat the crap ones didn't warm up under load and get an unfair advantage over the better ones that remain stone cold due to the pansy amp rate? Besides which as they cannot say what brand of lipo pack it was (almost certainly a knock off chinese jobby) it is difficult to tell whether this is an accurate reflection on the lipos on the market today or whether they picked the test lipo because they knew it would fail spectacularly. Wouldn't be surprised to find out they used ma lipos. There are lipos that will do that pull easily, elite 35c cells are popular with the boat guys cos of their gnarly performance under extreme continuous load.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Redvanmafia

for the guy that just wants to run his e-maxx or savage rustler stampede or whatever 1:8th 1:10th and smaller. cheap lipos are fine, i bought one 150 dollar pack once and it was dead in a year a trakpower 4900 2s, i paid 90$ for my 4800 30c 3s, and its lasted 2 years and shows no signs of stopping and delivers crazy power,
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
n19htmare

This reminds of my days in car audio. There was (and still is) a company that swore up and down their products being better than the others (Elemental Designs). They came out with a new cone design, a flat honeybee nomex cone that they made sound like their cutting edge technology that they spent allll their time and money into R&D.
IF you know subwoofers, you know there are not many parts to it, Theres the basket, the cone, the surround, spider, coil and magnet. mixing and matching different parts gives you different results in wattage handling, air displacement etc.

The funny thing is, the supplier and manufacturer of these subwoofers are based in San Diego (Where I live). I had a good relationship with the workers/engineers there. Basically, You go in, they lay out a bunch of parts and tell you how you want to mix and match. Basically they have their own coil/magnet combo and you're just picking AESTHETICS.

eD decided to go with the nomex cones (they were a new design by this distributor, eD had no part in designing them but they claimed they did as MaxAmps is claiming many things).

To prove my point a few of us guys went into this distributor/manufacturer and ordered 100 subwoofers we designed (as in just mixed and matched) and sold them at a much lower cost. SAME PRODUCT FROM SAME PLACE.

What did it all come down to? MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING. eD was and still is a good marketer to NOOBS, kids, etc.

Just like Maxamps is a good marketing company to noobs. No one with half a brain would buy Maxamps, other then the spoiled kids with their parents money to blow.

I'm a business major, and have put a lot of it to practice.

The way I see it, their supplier in china laid out some options, Maxamps got some sample cells and picked out the cells they liked and voila. There you have it. Overpriced, over-marketed chinese cells that go in about every other lipo.

any idiot with slight electrical knowledge/some soldering skills can order some cells (they wanna sell, they'll sell to anyone buying bulk) and make the same damn packs.

Me personally, I don't have to the guts to sit there and lie out of my teeth about how I designed and have strict requirements for my cells and how they're made just for me and no one else can get them blah blah blah and turn around and charge obscene prices for them.

Good luck but I'm VERY happy with my blue hippos and my zippys.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life.I almost thought i would have to
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

Thank you for bringing this thread back to life.I almost thought i would have to
This thread should be stickied. But then again, MaxAmps advertises on RC Universe as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
mechanizeddeath

hahaha it's baaaaaaack...

in every industry, there are brands that push the limits of sanity with their pricing. i do agree with the recent poster in that home and car audio have some of the worst offenders though. Monster Cable is one company I'd love to see disappear entirely.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
plasma 327

Hey Fella's .... I got a Maxamp pack just to try it out.. It is 4200 ss harcase 2s 7.2 pack vs my Protek 2s 7.4 5000 pack..
I charged it ran it and it performs no better or worse than my Proteks.. Runtime was with in 2 minutes + or - of the Protek packs..
Protek packs cost $79.00
Maxamps pack cost $149.00
I can post pics if some of you would like...
Thanks,

God Speed

Chip
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM
n19htmare

Maxamps is to the LiPo world as Bose is to the audio world.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: plasma 327

Hey Fella's .... I got a Maxamp pack just to try it out.. It is 4200 ss harcase 2s 7.2 pack vs my Protek 2s 7.4 5000 pack..
I charged it ran it and it performs no better or worse than my Proteks.. Runtime was with in 2 minutes + or - of the Protek packs..
Protek packs cost $79.00
Maxamps pack cost $149.00
I can post pics if some of you would like...
Thanks,

God Speed

Chip
Keep us updated on the longevity please. I'd like to see how it holds up in the long run.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM
rc18junky

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

maybe but you don't need to pay 300.00 for bose qc3 headphones if i just want to jam to some mp3s
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

maybe but you don't need to pay 300.00 for bose qc3 headphones if i just want to jam to some mp3s
my point exactly. You don't need to pay $300 for lipos when $50 ones will do just as well if not better.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hmm anyone else having trouble refreshing this page?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
n19htmare

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Hmm anyone else having trouble refreshing this page?
I'm not sure but people should definitely keep bumping this thread lol.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hellacool

I guess I will drop in my 2 cents. I am very new to Lipo and have been doing tons of research. After reading several forums I discovered HobbyKing. The prices there look great and their batteries seem to get good ratings from actual users. I was sold. Since I had nothing for Lipo I was going to have to buy everything including all the connectors to make the HK batteries work with my e-revo. All said and done, 2 x 5000 MAH, 2S 30C Lipo's, charger (DC only) all needed connectors and express shipping I was looking at $155, not bad for an initial purchase. On a whim I went to my local Hobby Town and they had behind the glass the new Venom Lipo's. 5400 MAH, 2S 20C for $54 per. Not a bad price at all. They also had the Triton EQ AC/DC charger for $110, I know way more than the chargers HK sell but it is AC/DC and I can get instant help from my Hobby shop. Ultimately I Purchased 2 Venom batteries, the Triton and some connectors for $230 out the door (I had some $5 off coupons from my e-revo purchase). Yes I spent $60 dollars more then if I had bought from HK but 1 - I supported my LHS and 2 - I can get easy replacement/help if needed. The point to this whole diatribe is that prices are really coming down, they may never be as cheap as HK but the little extra is worth it too me to be able to support my LHS, have instant access to help/replacement stuff and good old instant gratification. I am sure MaxAmps are very good batteries but based on the tests on Big Squid RC the Venoms are pretty good and I can not envision MaxAmps being worth 2x as much, I think if MaxAmps wants to be more successful or remain successful they either need to lower prices or offer lower cost alternatives, with so many companies offering far cheaper Lipo's it is very hard to swallow MaxAmps prices. During my research I knew I would never buy from them just because of price, it is a big concern for me.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
ludeman

Argree, I dont mind supporting my LHS provided I get better service, conveince etc.
I think we all need to take a look at paying a little more to help support local wherever possible. Thats not just buy American that goes for all countries.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Well thats good for a complete lipo setup.For the extra 60 i wouldve bought from my lhs too.But alot of us just want a battery or 2, and most of my packs have been in the $10-20 range.Not bad vs even brands like protek, thats still enough of a difference to make me go hk.Even though brands like that have great lipos, i think ill stick with hk and take my chances.Now if they had the same battery spec wise at my lhs, for $15 or so more, id go that.But most are $100+ and i really cant afford to spend that.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 PM
rc18junky

maxamps factory
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM
e123

Somebody needs a hobby...or, another hobby I guess.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: e123

Somebody needs a hobby...or, another hobby I guess.
lol agreed. I think everyone needs to stop acting like children at this point and just give the topic a rest. We all realize that there are mixed opinions about MA's pricing and practices. So no point in beating a dead horse any further with things like very poorly made harrasment photos.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
hakmazter

Well, now you have proven your ignorance. There is a certain point where people can complain for whatever reason against a company and to a certain point, it might be legitimate. Doing everything you have done and continuing on about it proves you have a personal vendetta against maxamps for some reason and all your rants should be disregarded from any potential customers who are reading this.

1.) Maxamps is unquestionably the advertising leader in the industry and at $2000 per page per magazine per month on average, you can see where a lot of their money goes.

2.) Maxamps supports our industry as much as any other company by sponsoring race events, rock crawling events, and other events. I do not see zippy sponsoring races, etc...

3.) Maybe you should look at the other side of the coin and think if they had more support from American consumers, they would not have to run their operations out of a house.

4.) Considering they are primarily mail order and sell to hobby stores, do you think it would be wise as a business model for them to set up shop next to McDonalds? I wonder how many people in Washington would stop by to buy rc car and plane batteries?

5.) Unless it is Tower, Horizon, or Amain, most stores are ran out of homes. I could name several, but what is the point?

6.) I say support them if you can because there is more than one person there and what that means is that they have created a job for a US citizen. If you cannot support them for financial reasons, then at least don't bash them because of their marketing plan and where they want to place themselves in the industry.

7.) There is always going to be a highest price and a lowest price brand for every product. Value is what counts most of all and some think that the online support, the sponsorships, the new technology they are involved with are worth the extra price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.