Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Maxamps Out of their Mind????

Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

ORIGINAL: plasma 327

Red, Do you race?
Just the cars that go in front of my home....
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
fasttrack22
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>

Quantity Stock Product description Price Weight
<input onblur="function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}" size="2" name="25913817" value="1" type="text" /> BK N6000.2S.25 - Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2S 25~50C Lipo..
This item is on backorder*
$32.37 423
<input onblur="function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}" size="2" name="25913853" value="1" type="text" /> OK ACC6 - Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charge.. $22.99 437
<input onblur="function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}" size="2" name="25914797" value="1" type="text" /> BK LPGUARD18x22 - Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack
$1.99 75

If I want to get a Lipo battery for my slash is this a good bet? What shoud l use for a LVA on my car?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

Is that your only argument you have left now is ''do you race''? You only tested the maxamps packs and 1 other company so how do you know any other batteries that might be a fraction of the cost will perform the same or better? I am completely happy with the 7 batteries I was able to purchase as to the 1 maybe 2 I would have gotten from maxamps, and I can run all 3 of my trucks for a long time.
There is no argument.. I am only stating my opinion and my experience as it pertains.
It makes a huge difference under racing conditions or basing conditions. SO yes, "do you race" is pertnent question. Under bashing conditions any pack will do and brand is irrelevant. Under racing conditions is absolutely imperitive that you have the best batt in the final laps! Read around the post I did buy two turnigy packs and did post about them. One arrived and it was DOA. The other lasted about 20 cycles and fell off dramaticaly. I called Hobby King about them and i got tuff S^&T from them..Look around the posting and see for your self. i am telling of my testing under purely race conditions only. I have a backyard track and some friends have turnigy 5.0 lipos. On my 4200ss i can run almost 1 1/2 times the pack of their turnigy length wise.

What are you baseing your analagy on ? Do you bash or race? How many different brands have you tested? Under what conditions?
How long of a time period? How many cycles? Fill us in?????
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Red, Do you race?
Just the cars that go in front of my home....
Then i believe any brand and pack will make you very happy. Go racing and you will see the difference i believe..
Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: fasttrack22

>

Quantity Stock Product description Price Weight
<input onblur=''function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}'' size=''2'' name=''25913817'' value=''1'' type=''text'' /> BK http://<font color=''#810081''>N6000... Lipo..</font>
$32.37 423 [img][/img]
<input onblur=''function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}'' size=''2'' name=''25913853'' value=''1'' type=''text'' /> OK http://<font color=''#810081''>ACC6 ...harge..</font> $22.99 437 [img][/img]
<input onblur=''function anonymous(){validateNumber(this)}'' size=''2'' name=''25914797'' value=''1'' type=''text'' /> BK http://<font color=''#810081''>LPGUA...cm Sack</font>
$1.99 75

If I want to get a Lipo battery for my slash is this a good bet? What shoud l use for a LVA on my car?
If you are just bashing with your buddies all of the above will be fine for you. have fun..
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
FoamyVictim

I like my new nano-tech packs. I have about 30 cycles on the 4S 4500, and about 15 on the 4000 2S pack. I race and practice often, so I'll have that 60 cycle range pretty soon. I couldn't care less about the warranty, because I can buy several packs for the cost of just one comparable "Name Brand" pack. So if my $17 pack dies within a year, I'll buy another. I can buy FOUR of them and still not spend as much $$.

I bought a "Name Brand" pack for my 8ight E when I got it. Shortly after, I got a zippy pack, because I couldn't justify another $230 for a battery. I paid $50 for it, and guess what... The "Name Brand" pack lasted a few weeks, then started having problems. The balance wire broke off inside the hard case. When I called the company that made it, they told me I had two choices. Send it in and wait to hear back or crack it open, and fix it myself. I chose the latter and even then the pack crapped out within a month or two. The Zippy pack STILL works to this day, trouble free.

Now why on Earth anyone would pay 4-5 times the $$ for the something that does exactly the same thing... is a mystery. No warranty, spiffy label or lofty performance claims are worth that kind of price gouging. Its just a battery... I race; not bash or play, not stare at it on a shelf... I actually RACE these things. Running them back to back with my name brand packs, I kick myself for not trying the Hobby King packs sooner. The airplane guys have been using these things for longer than I have, and with the same results. We all wonder why we didn't try a zippy pack sooner. [8D]
Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I like my new nano-tech packs. I have about 30 cycles on the 4S 4500, and about 15 on the 4000 2S pack. I race and practice often, so I'll have that 60 cycle range pretty soon. I couldn't care less about the warranty, because I can buy several packs for the cost of just one comparable ''Name Brand'' pack. So if my $17 pack dies within a year, I'll buy another. I can buy FOUR of them and still not spend as much $$.

I bought a ''Name Brand'' pack for my 8ight E when I got it. Shortly after, I got a zippy pack, because I couldn't justify another $230 for a battery. I paid $50 for it, and guess what... The ''Name Brand'' pack lasted a few weeks, then started having problems. The balance wire broke off inside the hard case. When I called the company that made it, they told me I had two choices. Send it in and wait to hear back or crack it open, and fix it myself. I chose the latter and even then the pack crapped out within a month or two. The Zippy pack STILL works to this day, trouble free.

Now why on Earth anyone would pay 4-5 times the $$ for the something that does exactly the same thing... is a mystery. No warranty, spiffy label or lofty performance claims are worth that kind of price gouging. Its just a battery... I race; not bash or play, not stare at it on a shelf... I actually RACE these things. Running them back to back with my name brand packs, I kick myself for not trying the Hobby King packs sooner. The airplane guys have been using these things for longer than I have, and with the same results. We all wonder why we didn't try a zippy pack sooner. [8D]
Great. I am glad you are happy with them. I cannot argue with you as your experience is good and they work for you...My experience with them was the opposite so I will use what i feel is the best for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
fasttrack22

thanks I appreciate it!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: fasttrack22

thanks I appreciate it !
Sure thing.. Go sling sme dirt bro!!! Have Fun!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Pecanpatch

Plasma 327,
I was just looking at your photo gallery.....
Awesome vehicles man , Just awesome......
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Do you do any machine work yourself?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

Plasma 327,
I was just looking at your photo gallery.....
Awesome vehicles man , Just awesome......
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Do you do any machine work yourself?
Hi Pecanpatch,
Thanks, I actually need to update my gallery.
Some parts I have made on CNC but just spot pieces....
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM
FoamyVictim

I like my new nano-tech packs. I have about 30 cycles on the 4S 4500, and about 15 on the 4000 2S pack. I race and practice often, so I'll have that 60 cycle range pretty soon. I couldn't care less about the warranty, because I can buy several packs for the cost of just one comparable ''Name Brand'' pack. So if my $17 pack dies within a year, I'll buy another. I can buy FOUR of them and still not spend as much $$.

I bought a ''Name Brand'' pack for my 8ight E when I got it. Shortly after, I got a zippy pack, because I couldn't justify another $230 for a battery. I paid $50 for it, and guess what... The ''Name Brand'' pack lasted a few weeks, then started having problems. The balance wire broke off inside the hard case. When I called the company that made it, they told me I had two choices. Send it in and wait to hear back or crack it open, and fix it myself. I chose the latter and even then the pack crapped out within a month or two. The Zippy pack STILL works to this day, trouble free.

Great. I am glad you are happy with them. I cannot argue with you as your experience is good and they work for you...My experience with them was the opposite so I will use what i feel is the best for me.
Yup, I get on a high horse about it, because people will complain about not being able to afford to be competitive. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Sherv

I race gas/nitro. Not electric. A maxamp battery will not win you a race just because its maxamps. Period. Unless you are comparing it to a falsely advertised cheap lipo battery that doesn't deliver the C rating it was "advertised" at.
The difference between a good lipo pack and a "maxamps" lipo pack can not be seen by the naked eye. It's all in your head.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
plasma 327

ORIGINAL: Sherv

I race gas/nitro. Not electric. A maxamp battery will not win you a race just because its maxamps. Period. Unless you are comparing it to a falsely advertised cheap lipo battery that doesn't deliver the C rating it was ''advertised'' at.
The difference between a good lipo pack and a ''maxamps'' lipo pack can not be seen by the naked eye. It's all in your head.
I race nitro and electric.. I can and have seen the difference first hand in lipo packs.. There is a difference at the end of a race in cheap lipo and higher end lipos.. When at the electric race events you see SMC ThunderPower Maxamps etc.. not turnigy rhino etc.. Would you use traxxas nitro over Byrons or O'Donnells?("It's in your head") No, I think not and neither would I..
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
redfisher1974

Im still confused with the answers we were given about why maxamps was not in the big lipo shootout, bigsquid said maxamps did not want to be in it but maxamps says that it was bigsquid that would not let them in it...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

My experience with Maxamps has been that they did not live up to their stated C rating. I had one fail prematurely that was ran in a parrallel configuration- the other battery is still fine. I have 25 turnigy packs or so now. I have had one that would not balance I sent it back and received a credit for it. All the others I have deliver at or beyond the stated c rating and capacity. I used to run thunder power packs and they were good, but with the price of the turnigy ones, it is hard to justify anything else. I would not buy another Maxamps at any price.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im still confused with the answers we were given about why maxamps was not in the big lipo shootout, bigsquid said maxamps did not want to be in it but maxamps says that it was bigsquid that would not let them in it...
I'm still confused as to how the MA owner stated they do not believe in C-rating in this thread saying there was no standard for it, were bashing manufacturers that use it, but their new pack has "true 150C" rating on it.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6500HC-111-Pack.htm

Impressive 975A's according to the calculation that works on every other brand battery
So the MA battery should be able to replace the Lead-acid battery in my car no problem with that C-rating
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM
redfisher1974

I will give them credit for taking a product from china and marking it up well over 100% and selling them...if I could do this I would.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
FoamyVictim

I will give them credit for taking a product from china and marking it up well over 100% and selling them...if I could do this I would.
Normally, that would be cool... but here's the problem. There's a perception that you "need" these kind of batteries, or you "need" to spend that kind of money to get good batteries. Nothing could be further from the truth. You don't "need" to spend $100-$250 on a battery. You don't "need" 150C to be competitive on the track. So when I hear people comment "I can't win a race, I don't have good enough batteries" I LAUGH!

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it must be said. Otherwise, the hobby would shrink through attrition.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Normally, that would be cool... but here's the problem. There's a perception that you ''need'' these kind of batteries, or you ''need'' to spend that kind of money to get good batteries. Nothing could be further from the truth. You don't ''need'' to spend $100-$250 on a battery. You don't ''need'' 150C to be competitive on the track. So when I hear people comment ''I can't win a race, I don't have good enough batteries'' I LAUGH!

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it must be said. Otherwise, the hobby would shrink through attrition.
People have to blame something cause most are not man enough to say they are at fault
Which is easier blame $20 batteries or say it was your fault.
Prime example my sister rear ended someone a few weeks back, she blamed the car's brakes for acting up... When she was driving 45 while it was raining, and based on how she normally drive she was probably not even 2 seconds behind them...

RC racing is 90% driver 10% vehicle
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
redfisher1974

Sister's what are they good for?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Sister's what are they good for?
Only thing mine is good for is raising the insurance premium for the cars seeing were on the same policy
Other than that uhhh... can't think of a damn thing
Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
FoamyVictim

Not to go TOO far off subject... But if you have a hot older sister, you get to attend some really great parties. I had two friends in HS in that predicament... worked really well.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Not to go TOO far off subject... But if you have a hot older sister, you get to attend some really great parties. I had two friends in HS in that predicament... worked really well.
no my younger sister is not hot in the least. shes 24, and looks 14(she gets carded EVERY TIME she buys booze)... Actually the cop that was taking the report for the accident thought she was only 16 and just started driving, and almost chocked when he saw her age on the license.
She also sadly has no hot friends, and does not party, unless you consider her and her friends shooting each other in CoD...

So like I said there is no use for her
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Pede_VXL

OK, does anyone have any links or official results of any battery pack tests or shootouts that were conducted that included MaxAmps in them?

So far, I see that MaxAmps has China-made cells in them. But on the positive side of the coin, they DO have a few minutes worth of wiring and shrink wrapping done to them in the USA. Good to hear of some American involvement.

In addition, they have a warranty and customer service plan that appears to be STELLAR... UNTIL you research the warranty specifics and compare overall pricing between warranty expenses and the price of similar packs. On the warranty, realize that you have to PAY for the replacements after a year. The replacements, that increase at yearly intervals, are MORE COSTLY than just buying another manufacturers China-cell'd pack brand NEW!! As the years increase, you can buy SEVERAL other brand packs for the replacement costs of the SINGLE MaxAmp pack!!

So, do we at least have a TEST or positive official results somewhere that at the very LEAST show MaxAmps to be head-and-shoulders above the rest? In MY opinion, for that price, they better not just be head-and-shoulders above the rest, but they better TOWER over the rest because in my opinion, it is WAY more advantageous to just buy several other manufacturers packs (that ALSO have China-made cells in them) and have them available if any were to fail. Therefore, in all reality, there really is NO NEED for customer service or any warranty at all when you can stock up to the ceiling on other brand packs for the same price!!

As it is right now, I am just not seeing any advantage to MaxAmps packs whatsoever, but I may be wrong with that assumption. Is there something that suggests otherwise? Thank you in advance for any answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.