Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Maxamps Out of their Mind????

Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

copied From RCBro's, i thought they where some huge company[X(]

What's funny too, is that MaxAmps operates out of a frickin' 2 car garage, I swear to god. When my dad gets back from his business trip, I'll get the pics from him because he visited them on a business trip to Spokane. They have three guys with some stations, and a seperate room to do packaging. The worst thing is that they order their cells in bulk from China, so their packs are literally the exact same as everyone elses except the shrinkwrap. And their so called "Water-sealed Packs," aren't even waterproof. They told my dad himself that they believe it's waterproof, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33488.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1440941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24363.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1440942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64803.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1440943  
Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i saw my $30 soldering iron in the picture lol
Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redfisher 007-

That's our shop. I would not swear to God if I were you.

Out to the left you might see a little bit of the track in the back too. We have production and shipping downstairs and sales and marketing upstairs. We are living the American dream out here. If any one of you would like to stop by and check out the place, feel free. You can run a few laps on our track while you are at it.

Yes, we get our loose cells in from China. Yes we build the packs here at our shop using name brand components. The are not the "same" as anything else on the market.

No they are not packs in the boxes you see there in the picture, they are loose cells. That is why you also see a welder and several soldering stations.

You act like your secret spy dad came out and tricked us into showing him around or something. You are cracking me up.

We use to have a commercial building out in Beaverton, Oregon as some of you know. We decided to make the move out here to Nine Mile Falls because I could buy property here with a shop on the same land as our home. That way the guys come out here to work and I walk about 20ft or so to work everyday from my house. Most days I can be found hanging out with my kids at the track, working on rc cars, planes, or boats, or replying to secret spy threads on RCU.

If you all want to see more pictures of who we are and what we do, let me know...or I guess you could just call 007's dad up and see if he has some other secret spy pictures to post online. Maybe next time he comes by I will give him something to take a picture of

By the way, if there is any question about the "waterproofness" of our packs just take a look on youtube. Several guys have done underwater testing of the packs.

-Austin

Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: austinelse

redfisher 007-

That's our shop. I would not swear to God if I were you.

Out to the left you might see a little bit of the track in the back too. We have production and shipping downstairs and sales and marketing upstairs. We are living the American dream out here. If any one of you would like to stop by and check out the place, feel free. You can run a few laps on our track while you are at it.

Yes, we get our loose cells in from China. Yes we build the packs here at our shop using name brand components. The are not the ''same'' as anything else on the market.

No they are not packs in the boxes you see there in the picture, they are loose cells. That is why you also see a welder and several soldering stations.

You act like your secret spy dad came out and tricked us into showing him around or something. You are cracking me up.

We use to have a commercial building out in Beaverton, Oregon as some of you know. We decided to make the move out here to Nine Mile Falls because I could buy property here with a shop on the same land as our home. That way the guys come out here to work and I walk about 20ft or so to work everyday from my house. Most days I can be found hanging out with my kids at the track, working on rc cars, planes, or boats, or replying to secret spy threads on RCU.

If you all want to see more pictures of who we are and what we do, let me know...or I guess you could just call 007's dad up and see if he has some other secret spy pictures to post online. Maybe next time he comes buy I will give him something to take a picture of

By the way, if there is any question about the ''waterproofness'' of our packs just take a look on youtube. Several guys have done underwater testing of the packs.

-Austin

if you read the first line, it said I copied the following post from RCBro's. So being the nice guy that I am, I will allow you to apologiez Austin.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
austinelse

Got it.

So you are not the real 007....

He is still out there. He could be spying on me right now!

Sorry for the misunderstanding redfisher1974...
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Brainanator

Well all I know is that the guy that runs Maxamps is a smart-ass, so I like him! (sorry, still won't buy your packs...but at least I think you're funny)
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
redfisher1974

Got it.

So you are not the real 007....

He is still out there. He could be spying on me right now!

Sorry for the misunderstanding redfisher1974...
No worries, I'm just wasting time as my wife goes in and out of false labour. Your a good guy for standing up to people ( which is what you have to do when you charge so much more for packs) and keeping a level head.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
redfisher1974

I must say this is a fun thread if anything. I should stop busting your chops.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
austinelse

When is she due? False labor sucks! Are you at least close to the hospital? We have a 14 month old so I know what you are going through. Take all your aggression out on me and not your wife
Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM
redfisher1974

When is she due? False labor sucks! Are you at least close to the hospital? We have a 14 month old so I know what you are going through. Take all your aggression out on my and not your wife
she is due tomorrow, And yeah we were sent home once already from the hospital, shes 3cm dillated with on and off contractions. lucky we live 4 blocks from the hospital.
Hopefully tonight, We have a 2 year old aswell and they are a handful
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
mechanizeddeath

1. Why are MaxAmps packs more expensive?

A. We build the packs here in the USA so our costs to build the packs are much higher than having them built overseas. It literally costs us 20 times as much labor to build a pack here.
I just noticed that RCU ate my reply that I made a couple days ago. Guess I'll rewrite some of it, since I've been following this thread.

Anyway, all I said was that the argument can pretty much end with that line of the quote. USA assembly costs are ridiculous, whether the assembly takes place in a two car garage or a facility covering two city blocks. I live in a state that was built upon manufacturing, nearly every city made something, from the furniture coming out of Grand Rapids to the cars coming out of Detroit. The cells might very well be the same as in a $10 lipo, but at least you know the assembly is decent. That's mostly the problem I've found with Chinese goods: terrible assembly quality, particularly when it comes to soldering. I've seen solder spattered all over the place, flux everywhere, and giant globular cold joints the size of a small mammal just waiting to break off. The big three may have tarnished the reputation of American made goods with their shoddy cars, but everything other than vehicles are and were always made to the highest standards here.

Those high standards are particularly useful during competition. To me, these expensive batteries fall into the category of what I like to call "point zero zero zero one second upgrades."

That said, MaxAmps batteries really aren't for me. I don't race, I just bash, and I certainly don't intend to buy a $200 battery only to put it into a "what would happen if" scenario that is all to common when I bash. [&:] Better to have it be a stick pack NiMH or maybe one of those $10 lipos.

If I were a racer though? Heck yeah. I'd be all over these because in that case, those .0001 seconds sometimes do count.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:29 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: overrev

But I,m not the only person that doesn't like tamiya or other companies for that matter. most people just don't say anything. I didn't until now.
Thats news to me. The only people I ever see complaining about Tamiya are people who A) never owned one and haven't given them a chance, B) had a bad experience with 1 of their products and never gave them a second chance, or C) are traxxas fanboys who have never owned one.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: samguan

Source: http://www.rcbros.com/forum/forum_po...?TID=6922&PN=1

Funny email from Jason at MaxAmp, the moderator on the forum compared a HobbyCity lipo to MaxAmp Lipo. Jason got mad and wants his account be removed from the forum. All moderator did was just comparing their prices and stated nothing bad about MaxAmp.

-Message from MaxAmp-
After reading this and seeing that your mods started it I'm requesting my account with your forum be removed. We don't want to be associated with a site that finds this type of thing ok.

Best regards,

Jason

To MaxAmp: with email like this, you have ABSOLUTELY no credibility, trust , nothing.

Well looks like everyone was correct in saying they get their lipos from China just like everyone else . I really don't see how MA can claim they have better quality cells that "nobody else has" if they are ordering them from China. Unless there is some super secret factory over there that nobody but MA knows about and where quality control is magically better than the rest of the country, I have to call BS.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

I race as a second Hobby, both SC and 1/10 scale Buggy, and not one person runs Maxamps. You see alot of Orion, Trakpower, Zippy, Turnegy, Tinergy, and a few I have never heard of before, and I have not seen anyone with any edge because of batteries. The only person I have ever seen with a Maxamps pack was a newbee that did not know any better when he purchased them. I myself run TrakPower, and have got my A** handed to me once in while by Zippies down the straightaway. Normally I run Trakpower, but I slowly have converted to cheaper packs.
Maxamps is all hype in my firm opinion, and that's all. Sure its nice to Buy American made when you can, but there are times when Buying American made is not worth the Extra cost. The Cells are all comming out of the same factories anyhow.
If they sold packs in the same ballpark price wise, I would be willing to try them, but not at there current prices.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Lilredmachine

Well, not to change the subject too much here... I've had 4 tamiya cars, and all have had the same issue in that after a reasonable amount of use the cars are always worn out. Not undriveably, but all the joints are cack, screw holes elongated and they have all the precision of a chinese made watch after it has been hit with a hammer. Not to mention that generally the original performance of the vehicles is poor. Admittedly this is generally because they tend to be more scale than their competitors, but I still find it a poor excuse. I have a CC-01, race prepped M-03, Frog and a TT-01 by the way. All are interesting in their own little ways, but they are by far the poorest performing rcs I own.

Anyway, Austin, how do you sleep at night? Is it on top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies? I know that a bulk buyer can spec a lipo pack with the factories in China and Korea. I also now that those with deeper pockets go to Korea, as that is where the best lipo cells are produced... Someone I know out in Japan has had it done before. However it does not mean they are going to be any better than the rest of the cells on their production line. There really cannot be that many places to source lipos from that will deal with RC needs... Most are involved in military and oem (phone/appliances etc.) operations. First time I've seen it admitted that these are chinese cells also. It's always been assumed by me but never confirmed till now. I know that pack assembly is important, but seriously? HOW MUCH to solder some chinese cells together and wrap them in shrink wrap? I've done some myself and it is neither hard nor expensive to do. How do you really justify a $100 price premium over another chinese pack just because you've wrapped the cells a bit better? Also that is per pack... Man, are you paying your workers 70k a year? Tea lady on 40k a year? Shop dog got a solid gold water bowl for being a really good boy?

Also, as has been mentioned, Jason comes over as a thuggish bully. Whenever someone gets disgruntled or is pressured through a poisonous e-mail, it's usually his tag at the bottom. Do your business a favour, either keep him on a shorter leash or cut his internet connection. He's a lot of the reason that Maxamps has a bad name on a lot of the RC forums.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Lilredmachine

They could have a soel supplier, but it is doubtfull
Yeah, I'm sure there is a lipo factory in China that exists purely to furnish a two garage operation with average quality cells.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
cika
My Feedback: (35)

I think you guys are ok! I dont own MaxAmps as could never afford the prices in a million years. If I wasnt supporting my child and wife on crappy wages, I would buy them. But I think its good that your making it in todays market. Theres nothing wrong with operating outta a 2 car garage. You have to start somewhere. Im a happy user of Zippy lipos for $10-$25, as thats all I can afford. But when I recieve a battery thats junk from China, Im F'ed! It would cost me maybe more to return the battery and wait to months to get it, if I ever would ?? . I bet if I got a crap pack fromyou guys, this wouldnt be an issue.  But I think everyone should leave these guys alone. There making money, supporting there family and doing what they love. Thats great! If I could I would in a miniute. I do think they could make there batterys a little more affordable, but if poeple buy em, then sell em they should! As long as there quality lipos and nimh cells, then wheres the problem??? No one is attacking the other companys(SMC,Team Checkpiont,etc) that make $75 and $90 lipos! Max Amps, Keep living the dream and doing what you love! Maybe someday I will be able to get better off financially and my wifes surgery will fix her and she'll get back to work and I will be the proud owner of your packs. As I here people use them for a long time without any problems! And there darn good batterys!  I know I went against the crowd, but it needed to be said!  

Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Arct1k

Guys - I think everyone (including Austin) understands you can buy cheaper packs from Hong Kong.

That is not Maxamps' business model - Austin has decided he WANTS to charge a premium (and a significant one - I'm sure he's looked at the prices on Hobbyking) to be able to run a business in the US employing US workers which serves a different segment of the market.

I don't see Hobbyking advertising in RC Driver or RC Car Action or sponsoring racing/crawling event - Without that advertising the magazines and competitions wouldn't happen - That is where some of your money goes... I didn't see a Corvette in the driveway

Coincidentally I had a maxamps pack die on Friday - I feel pretty confident that the guys will take care of me and thats worth extra $'s to some.

Whilst only 10% of my packs are Maxamps I certainly wish Austin and the team the very best - Without them I know the RC scene would be much worse off!

Cheers guys

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Lilredmachine

No one is attacking the other companys(SMC,Team Checkpiont,etc) that make $75 and $90 lipos!
Think about what you are saying... Go on. Thought about it? Ok, well I'll explain it on the off chance you haven't figured it out yet.

Companies like SMC, Team Checkpoint, CBP etc. get chinese cells ready built into packs and charge $75-$90 for them, with a warranty and customer backup. They are more expensive than HK lipos as you are paying for a brand name you can trust, you have a contact point and generally the product is a bit better as these companies cannot afford to develop a bad rep.

Maxamps get chinese cells, build packs (but with brand name parts, so roughly 4 inches of wire, a connector and maybe a square foot of shrinkwrap) and charge $150-$250, with a warranty (to safely cover up the fact that they are chinese cells) that ensures that even if Maxamps have to give you 3 lipos within that 3 year period, they are still probably breaking even on the amount you paid for the first one. The amount you pay for the lipo pack is dramatically overblown. You are paying for a warrantee and to be falsely reassured that you have bought 'the best' lipos on the market.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
cika
My Feedback: (35)

I started a new trend! This needed to be said!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 PM
mechanizeddeath

Why do Tamiya for/against debates always seems to surface whenever quality and/or cost are discussed?

I love mine, especially the Grasshopper. It's one of my oldest RCs and the only one that has never, ever broken in any manner that required more than Shoe Goo to fix.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

Why do Tamiya for/against debates always seems to surface whenever quality and/or cost are discussed?

I love mine, especially the Grasshopper. It's one of my oldest RCs and the only one that has never, ever broken in any manner that required more than Shoe Goo to fix.
I know right!

Nobody (atleast I'm not) is bashing the fact that Maxamps opperate out of a garage. That doesn't matter as long as they have the proper equipment to do the job. Heck, I'm sure its a lot cheaper to build a garage and run your buisness out of there than renting a building. The things I don't get is how they can claim they have cells that nobody else has, when it has been proven and admitted by Austin himself that they are chinese made cells. I'm not debating that the packs themselves aren't built better. I'm sure they are much better quality wise since they don't have them produced on an accembly line and they only have 3 employees. Quality control is much easier when things are built by hand and your employees actually care. But I find it hard to believe they are getting cells that are not sold to anyone else and that they are greater quality than any other chinese made cell. Theres no way the producer of these cells could make enough money to stay afloat if they only sell to one small company. The fact that they don't have any solid data to back up their claims of superior performance and that they beat around the bush every time data is mentioned, is what makes me hesitant to believe their cells are really as good as they claim. The pricing is way over inflated for the same chinese cells that everyone else has. The warranty is a great thing (can't stress that enough), but not if the customer service and product doesn't back it up.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Pecanpatch

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

I also fly planes and have had 3 or 4 outrunner motors from hobby king and they all turned out to be junk.
Hell one of the motors I got from HK was full of metal chips.

I stick with e-flight motors now and they are about 4 times as much. But they stand behind they're product. and revenues go to an American company, Horizon Hobbies.

Years ago I got out of the RC hobby cuz all I had was cheap junk. I fought with K&B and Fox engines and junky Kraft radios and crashed some good airplanes because of it. When I got back in the hobby I decided I wasn't gonna use Junk.

If I see united hobbies or Hobby King or Turnigy on my buddies merchandise I just shake my head. Its just a matter of time and its headed for file 13 with no recourse.

I've won races because guys and there crappy HK batteries poofed on them.
I've won combat matches several times because the opponents had *****ty HK components on there plane.

Keep using that crap and it just makes you the Next Loser!

Eat it Yoshi!

Feel better?
Absolutely
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Pecanpatch

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

1. Why are MaxAmps packs more expensive?

A. We build the packs here in the USA so our costs to build the packs are much higher than having them built overseas. It literally costs us 20 times as much labor to build a pack here.
I just noticed that RCU ate my reply that I made a couple days ago. Guess I'll rewrite some of it, since I've been following this thread.

Anyway, all I said was that the argument can pretty much end with that line of the quote. USA assembly costs are ridiculous, whether the assembly takes place in a two car garage or a facility covering two city blocks. I live in a state that was built upon manufacturing, nearly every city made something, from the furniture coming out of Grand Rapids to the cars coming out of Detroit. The cells might very well be the same as in a $10 lipo, but at least you know the assembly is decent. That's mostly the problem I've found with Chinese goods: terrible assembly quality, particularly when it comes to soldering. I've seen solder spattered all over the place, flux everywhere, and giant globular cold joints the size of a small mammal just waiting to break off. The big three may have tarnished the reputation of American made goods with their shoddy cars, but everything other than vehicles are and were always made to the highest standards here.

Those high standards are particularly useful during competition. To me, these expensive batteries fall into the category of what I like to call ''point zero zero zero one second upgrades.''

That said, MaxAmps batteries really aren't for me. I don't race, I just bash, and I certainly don't intend to buy a $200 battery only to put it into a ''what would happen if'' scenario that is all to common when I bash. [&:] Better to have it be a stick pack NiMH or maybe one of those $10 lipos.

If I were a racer though? Heck yeah. I'd be all over these because in that case, those .0001 seconds sometimes do count.
I'm glad you re-posted..... I am a racer and I appreciate Maxamps and their business model.
I am a machinist and die maker........ ask today's High school kids if they can even tell you what that is.....
It's a sad state of affairs.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

If im correct, and i believe i am but correct away.Theres 3 lipo factories in china.HK owns one, and has contracts with the other 2.So, if im right, which i think i am.Think about it...Same cells as hk.[X(] Shocker there.And i prefer to pay $20, as opposed to $150-$250, and have to resolder a connector or slap a drop of solder on a cold joint...Am i the only one that feels this way?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.