Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Maxamps Out of their Mind????

Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

we can create a business model less call the company ''rightamps'' we can all do the research and see what we come up with. that would be a good way to get some numbers and see if we can produce lipo products cheaper who wants to help with the research
Let say three.The longer we can screw hard working people out of their money for overpriced lipos the better!

I have a shed out back you guys can use to build em...My upstairs attack would make a great office space.And i have a spare room you can use as a shipping department.
ok look like we got our factory location well it be a 2 or 3 year lease
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
strtzpmp

and then with all the money we make we can buy ariel atoms and smoke a bugatti and vettes/lambos around the track could afford after too! man i would love to build 20-30 dollar batteries and sell them for 200-700 bucks...we'll call it overdrive batts...so new people with money will think they'll make there car fast, with our cs and warrenty...you break our battery in the field while driving normally (lol) and we'll build you 2 more for free!!!! we would still make a SH*IT load of money....how isnt maxamps? i would of rented a mall with 7 years of doing that by now....much more room there lol
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha... i love this thread.

Despite my balanced view on this (appreciate the product, but have no use for it personally) I think the only way this is going to end is with a proper test. MaxAmps is going to have to submit their batteries to proper testing, or these questions are going to continue to be brought up.

A few people have mentioned MaxAmps advertising, and I wanted to comment on that a bit. It's everywhere! In fact, it is so pervasive that I actually believed, up until quite recently, that ALL lithium chemistry batteries were around that same price. Imagine my surprise when I started hearing about those cheap HK lipos. Of course quality was the first question on my mind, but the point is that I'd never even considered anything other than NiCd/NiMH chemistry due to the prices I was seeing from MaxAmps. After all, if they're selling them for that much, everyone else must be too, right?

To put it another way and use an earlier comparison, imagine if you suddenly discovered that the Corvette or Lambo you've always wanted was actually the same price as a Kia, but one relatively small dealership had been advertising them for a much higher price for so long that you just accepted the higher price as fact. Yeah, you can imagine my shock. I'm surprised I went so long without finding out, but I just never opened any threads dealing with lipo - I mean if I can't afford it, why waste my time reading about it?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

ha... i love this thread.

Despite my balanced view on this (appreciate the product, but have no use for it personally) I think the only way this is going to end is with a proper test. MaxAmps is going to have to submit their batteries to proper testing, or these questions are going to continue to be brought up.

A few people have mentioned MaxAmps advertising, and I wanted to comment on that a bit. It's everywhere! In fact, it is so pervasive that I actually believed, up until quite recently, that ALL lithium chemistry batteries were around that same price. Imagine my surprise when I started hearing about those cheap HK lipos. Of course quality was the first question on my mind, but the point is that I'd never even considered anything other than NiCd/NiMh chemistry due to the prices I was seeing from MaxAmps. After all, if they're selling them for that much, everyone else must be too, right?

To put it another way and use an earlier comparison, imagine if you suddenly discovered that the Corvette or Lambo you've always wanted was actually the same price as a Kia, but one relatively small dealership had been advertising them for a much higher price for so long that you just accepted the higher price as fact. Yeah, you can imagine my shock. I'm surprised I went so long without finding out, but I just never opened any threads dealing with lipo - I mean if I can't afford it, why waste my time reading about it?

My first foray into Lipo was with Thunder Power - after a few years of reading about them I decided to go for it. TP seemed like the lipo of choice for most flyers at the time, and some used it in their Mini-T brushless trucks.

After plunking $90 at the LHS for a 3s 2100 mah 15C lipo (hah.......) I felt somewhat good. I charged it up, slapped it into my newly brushless upgraded Mini Super Sportster and went flying. Well about 8 minutes later I managed to crash the plane, along with the lipo. Imagining the worst, I panicked a little and ran around looking for my plane, and maybe the random smoke trail surely to follow after a 30 mph crash straight into a NEIGHBOR's yard.

I later bought a few more lipos, lost another expensive $45 TP 3s 1100 mah one as it dropped out of the sky from my plane (hah again), yah so you think that discovering $10-$20 lipos at HK was a shock 2 years later ...imagine being the neighbor who found the plane finally a few days later in their backyard.....on September 12th. Oh the lipo was damaged, it had a nice impression of the outrunner motor mount, and was leaking. But it didn't explode or catch fire much to my relief.

Like you I believed after seeing how all the lipos being advertised were high dollar, that that was just the way things were, and that anything cheaper was suspect and not worth the risk. Maxamps was a good value AT THE TIME in '07 compared to other vendors I saw. I bougth my 3s 5000 20C for $130 thinking I didn't get the best, but it's cheaper than what I saw and so was happy with the purchase. Hell I promoted them and recommended them to newbs who would ask about lipos on this very forum at that point, until later someone pointed out to me that they are more expensive and their quality was suspect...after which point I had discovered HK and now I recomnend HK after owning 5 for $130.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

imagine being the neighbor who found the plane finally a few days later in their backyard.....on September 12th.

That mustve been fun lol
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Slo-V Flyer

imagine being the neighbor who found the plane finally a few days later in their backyard.....on September 12th.

That mustve been fun lol
And I'm paki so yah I thought about it later.....
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM
qoisdhc oqina

That mustve been fun lol
And I'm paki so yah I thought about it later.....
[:'(] Not a god day for him lol
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
mechanizeddeath

Glad you recovered your plane. And also glad I'm not the only one who was convinced that the prices were as high as they were. I wonder how many other people out there have stayed away from lipo for the same reasons? Taking that thought further, could these commonplace advertisements even be holding back lithium adoption as a whole?

As for me, before I can do anything I need to invest in a proper charger and buy some of those battery alarms (or go brushless) as none of my brushed ESCs have a low voltage cutoff.

Going a bit off topic here: Is it common for batteries to fall out? I saw a YouTube vid where that happened to a guy, he had an onboard video camera and you just saw the plane get all goofy, then glide down into a tree. Like you, he was in the sky for about 8 minutes. [&:] Found the video again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcNTDC86GZ4

I lost a car once. Found it, but I've felt the panic. Dark Impact flew off into some thick brush, down a hill, probably hit something, and the battery became disconnected so I couldn't listen for it. I bet I searched for a half hour. Because it went down a hill I had no clue how far it tumbled or in what direction. I finally found the all black wheel sticking out of a pile of dead leaves, and I could just barely see it. That car is too dark to bash near a wooded area.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM
redfisher1974

I wonder if anybody is slapping a different sticker on zippys and selling them for the mark up? I do see zippys on Kijji and people want more then the new cost for them.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
redfisher1974

Now that where done bashing on maxamps I think we could start a thread on testing and reveiws for all the different lipos to give noobs a heads up.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Well my plane fell out of the sky because I was flying beyond my skill, and I get "radio controlled flight dyslexia" and mess myself up with direction orientation...the plane was inverted, and losing altitude, I panicked and PULLED UP which dove it straight down.... instead of rolling right side up and then leveling off....I loved that plane too, scale appearance and price point... the only thing I salvaged that still worked was a couple servos that didn't strip. This is before I began using $8 servos and cheap ESC/lipo. I lost $200 that day. For the second time. Hehe.

And no airplanes dont lose batteries that easily if you strap them in properly. My plane, a Slo-V (yup hence my name) had a lipo slung underneath its battery "tray thing" using rubber band and velcro strap. Unfortunately the way I had it done was so the battery slid forward and back with enough force. And yes I was doing loops and that ejected the battery into a tree patch and luckily my plane was powered off with the servos still in the tight turn/loop position, so it spiralled down gently, while my battery was NOWHERE to be found. I looked for smoke/fire again (haha shoulda known better) but till today it's missing, considering its a TP silver colored battery and would or should stand out in green grass...it's hard to judge distance in the air when you're standing 200 ft away.

And in a sense you're right, if the only advertising we ever see is of expensive lipos, then the perception might be that that is what they all cost, so perhaps the "mass" marketing of maxamps and other brand name lipos may have worked against people like you and me who cringed at the thought of crashing a $100 lipo in a car or plane.... at least for a while.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM
redfisher1974

hope someone didnt run over the lipo with the lawnmower
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
nitroexpress

Testing complete.

Lipo Test #2

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Nah the lipo fell in plain sight in a field/park thing and so hmm.. ok yah you're right a riding mower might chew it up before it gets a chance to show its fireworks. This lipo falling was last year so I doubt if it's still intact that it has any real charge left in it..what with all the weathering.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
redfisher1974

Nah the lipo fell in plain sight in a field/park thing and so hmm.. ok yah you're right a riding mower might chew it up before it gets a chance to show its fireworks. This lipo falling was last year so I doubt if it's still intact that it has any real charge left in it..what with all the weathering.
I was just trying to make a funny, Would be cool to find a lipo in my backyard.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I was just trying to make a funny, Would be cool to find a lipo in my backyard.
Hehe yah I know. I thought about it and it never occurred to me that a mower might cause some.. effects.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Testing complete.

Lipo Test #2

Good read. My favorite result:

3. Venom 5000 mah 20c- Wanna talk about a company that has some net message board haters? Well, it seems that everyone likes to tear Venom a new one on-line. Now, I’ve used a few Venom products in the past, and admittedly, the quality was not as good as I thought it should be, but here we are testing their new Li-po pack, and it flat out rips hard. The Venom nearly won the voltage under load test, yet had the second lightest weight, resulting in a phenomenal power to weight ratio. Combine that with a very attractive price, and you’ve got the makings of a winner on both the sales floor and in your truck. If you are looking for the best out of the budget packs, the Venom pack is it.
I'm kind of surprised at that. Everyone hates Venom!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Testing complete.

Lipo Test #2

Yeah, well that's bloody useless isn't it.

A 30 amp load test. Great. Obviously they've never heard of a Savage Flux, which is going to pull a bit more than that, and happens to be a bash truck.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Lilredmachine

I'm kind of surprised at that. Everyone hates Venom!
I'm not. I own two of those packs, they are around 2 years old now and are still better than most of my other lipos(Zippy/Turnigy/Vapextech/Thunderpower). I went 6 months without balancing them and when I did finally get them on a balance charger they were within 0.03 of a volt of each other. What they also don't mention is that they have a semi-hardcase (kind of like a thick plastic/rubber covering instead of shrink) that protects them from rubbing/impacts which makes it even more surprising they are the second lightest.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High power brushless motors are so damn expensive. I wish so bad I could just afford 1 for my Summit and 1 for my Emaxx... but alas I only can afford Feigaos and used Medusa motors.

Curse you Steve Neu for making such an expensive motor! You really need to make it cost $90 so I can buy one and we can all afford them then you won't be out of business which I think you are already heading for with your outrageous $190-$300 motors!
got a castle system with a NEU motor
motors decent the ESC is over rated IMO so your not missing much
To me the ESC is not worth the price it goes for, and I would never buy another from them. I only bought it cause of everyone saying it was great, and I usually won't bash I product till I try it (except in Exceeds case you can just watch a video to see how bad they are)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM
mechanizeddeath

I own Venom packs as well, though mine are NiMH. I have 4 of them, one older 6 cell pack with a Tamiya connector, a newer 6 cell with the "universal" connector, and two 7 cells with the universal. All are 3000mAh packs. I've only had them for a few months, but they seem to work well enough. They lack the fresh pack punch of the Traxxas 7 cell that came with my Stampede, but they seem to last a bit longer before flattening out.

Anyway, I can't complain.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

High power brushless motors are so damn expensive. I wish so bad I could just afford 1 for my Summit and 1 for my Emaxx... but alas I only can afford Feigaos and used Medusa motors.

Curse you Steve Neu for making such an expensive motor! You really need to make it cost $90 so I can buy one and we can all afford them then you won't be out of business which I think you are already heading for with your outrageous $190-$300 motors!
got a castle system with a NEU motor
motors decent the ESC is over rated IMO so your not missing much
To me the ESC is not worth the price it goes for, and I would never buy another from them. I only bought it cause of everyone saying it was great, and I usually won't bash I product till I try it (except in Exceeds case you can just watch a video to see how bad they are)
My post was pure sarcasm. Ok 89% sarcasm.

The Neu motors are supposed to be high efficiency designs, though the motor we get with the Castle MMM systems are a bit toned down in price due to quality. As for the MMM ESC I have not used one, however my MM esc performed well for over 2 years before I fried it running 4s without proper gearing...

Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM
strtzpmp

i have 3 3s2p 20c 6400mah packs and 2 are dead for no reason and the third is fine....they  havent gotten warm until now and power has been dropping....im guess short life when used a bit lol ive had them since feb. and ran them each about 10 times...LVC set a 3.2/cell
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Paron34
My Feedback: (1)

Ive always liked my Venom Lipo's aswell,their Nimhs were garbage but the lipo's seem as good as my Thunder Power lipo's.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Access

Again if you look here:

http://access.time.angelfire.com/bat...t_data_01.html

The trend I see is that the assorted "hobby people" brands (ie. impulse power, etc.) are better than the venoms I have tested (and often at a similar or better price point, especially if you wait for a sale). Granted I am testing the last-generation venoms and not the current ones.

The venom 20C batteries were actually only good for about 10C continuous, anything higher and they start to go overtemperature (above 130F) before the end of the continuous discharge test. The 'impulse power' 20C I had was easily on par with the older thunderpower 25C batteries. Of course neither one of these can even come close to the Thunderpower 40C 'race packs'.

here's an example of their current stuff:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/118160.asp
2200mAH 3s for $20. Deans plug already installed at that price.
watch for their sales and you can get some good deals for local stores.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.