Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HPI Blitz... any good?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HPI Blitz... any good?

Someone I know wants to trade me one of these for my cc01... can it handle a brushless system and take a beating like a slash? Usually I don't ask for opinions and just read the reviews, but I'm bored.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI Blitz... any good?

Yes and yes, Driveline is the same as the firestorm.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Budman68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest bolting through the engine mount with counter sunk screws and nylon nuts.  My Novak 8.5 vibrates the mounts right off, regardless of the amount of loctite you use.  Other than that, it's bulletproof.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM
billdozer1983
My Feedback: (27)

Yai have a novatech 3300 in mying it is fine it moves
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Budman68

I would suggest bolting through the engine mount with counter sunk screws and nylon nuts. My Novak 8.5 vibrates the mounts right off, regardless of the amount of loctite you use. Other than that, it's bulletproof.

Funny my havoc 8.5 has never came loose on my storm.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
john01374

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Blitz is a very good truck but it does need a couple of things right away. The stock servo is not very good and should be swapped out. It's slow and doesn't have the torque to point the wheels where you want them. A $20 traxxas 2075 is a great replacement. The Servo saver is also set very loose from the factory so it needs to be tightened up. Other than that I would just go over the entire truck and make sure all the screws are in place and tight. My truck was missing a number of screws and everything was loose when it came out of the box. Not sure if anyone else had these issues but I was shocked. It's common to have a few loose screws on any RTR but I have never before seen any missing. Maybe mine was assembled by someone having a bad day...

Other than the servo and missing screws my truck has been bullet proof. If you plan to do any racing you'll want better tires. So far I have not found a track that the stock tires work on. Just use them for the street and general bashing.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: john01374

The Blitz is a very good truck but it does need a couple of things right away. The stock servo is not very good and should be swapped out. It's slow and doesn't have the torque to point the wheels where you want them. A $20 traxxas 2075 is a great replacement. The Servo saver is also set very loose from the factory so it needs to be tightened up. Other than that I would just go over the entire truck and make sure all the screws are in place and tight. My truck was missing a number of screws and everything was loose when it came out of the box. Not sure if anyone else had these issues but I was shocked. It's common to have a few loose screws on any RTR but I have never before seen any missing. Maybe mine was assembled by someone having a bad day...

Other than the servo and missing screws my truck has been bullet proof. If you plan to do any racing you'll want better tires. So far I have not found a track that the stock tires work on. Just use them for the street and general bashing.
where did you get it from?
if it was a LHS maybe someone opened it and they just resealed it. I've seen places pull crap like that before try and sell returned or opened products as new that were missing parts
Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
proanti1

Well I will be throwing a JR digital in her before I even play with it... as with all my cars. I was looking at pics and it I have a question. The front hub runs a bearing'd spindle with a 12mm hex... Does this front hex match up with a pin like the rear? Because I plan on running 17mm adapters for buggy wheels and those need to have a pin in order to work properly.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:54 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

if it was a LHS maybe someone opened it and they just resealed it. I've seen places pull crap like that before try and sell returned or opened products as new that were missing parts
I stopped in a California hobby shop for some touring car wheels and fuel, they had a xxxnt kit at a great price, marked down like 30%... said it was brand new but couldn't sell for whatever reason. Got home (Washington) and the a arms were missing, the tires were already glued to the rims (horribly), the instruction booklet was missing, and one of the hardware bags. Called up the hobby shop (Modesto Hobby Craft), the dude tried to play it out like he didn't know what I was talking about... eventually I got him to let me ship it back and return my money.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
john01374

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I bought it locally but I was there when it came out of the shipping box from HPI. I saw the guy at the hobby shop pull the box out and sit it on the counter. It was brand new never opened. Sometimes those kinds of thing just happen. Not a big deal for me but those kinds of issues might turn a newbie off to a brand pretty quick.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Budman68

Turn it up to 11 Not sure what my issue was or is, but the first couple of stock plates kept stripping out the cover screws. Ordered the STRC plate and I kept losing the mount screws. Finally just added bolts and nylon nut.

Note to Thread starter. If you want out of control and the ability to jump a house, install the Havoc Ballastic 8.5. This is one fast set up.
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

I would suggest bolting through the engine mount with counter sunk screws and nylon nuts. My Novak 8.5 vibrates the mounts right off, regardless of the amount of loctite you use. Other than that, it's bulletproof.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
ScottStaypuff

I originally bought my E-Firestorm on a whim basically. It has been awesome, so durable and handles well! I always thought ithey should base a SC on it. So when the Blitz came out I had to get one. IMO it handles even better, I'm not sure if its the longer wheelbase but it is so smooth to drive. I'm very happy with it.

Now if they would come out with 4wd versions I'd be in paradise!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

I love the Blitz. We are running it with a stock motor and can keep up with most of the other short course trucks with it. We are putting a Tekin brushless set up in it. I think it will be the fastest 2wd sc truck on the track after that.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 PM
redfisher1974

Turn it up to 11 [img][/img] Not sure what my issue was or is, but the first couple of stock plates kept stripping out the cover screws. Ordered the STRC plate and I kept losing the mount screws. Finally just added bolts and nylon nut.

Note to Thread starter. If you want out of control and the ability to jump a house, install the Havoc Ballastic 8.5. This is one fast set up.

Thinking about it doesnt the blitz have a different motor plate with a heat sink? And my havoc is turned up to the max on 2s with a 21 pinion.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Budman68

The stock plate didn't, but the STRC does. Sounds like we are running the same combo. I stepped back to a 19T to keep the the thermo protection from cutting in.Does yourswheelie really bad?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
redfisher1974

For a good 75 feet, The wheels on my bonzi bar are worn down[&:]
Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Budman68

Same here....with the body on it's seems worse. I got a laugh when my son passes a guy doing a wheelie at the track. I hate to get rid of it, but we need to thin the herd and he drives the SC10 a lot better.

For a good 75 feet, The wheels on my bonzi bar are worn down[&:]