Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

IF you have not already done a brushless conversion yourself. I say this only because the experience is amazing. I have a 3905 Emaxx that I got on a trade off the marketplace and I wanted to convert it to brushless. Throughout the whole time of ordering and waiting to receive the parts for the conversion I was always kicking myself in the back of my mind for not just getting a Brushless Emaxx or a Savage Flux.

Through all the headache of a brushless conversion being done by an RC beginner (taking things apart, mounting new things, SOLDERING) I have to say once the car runs, all the headache is worth it. Brushed motors are OLD TECHNOLOGY and the difference between them and brushless motors is like NIGHT AND DAY. My Emaxx running a 540 size 2600kv Turnigy inrunner through a HK150a esc with only 1 7.2v 4600mah battery is faster than my Emaxx with twin titans and 2 7.2v 4600mah battery's

Hold up,

Brushless motors with half the power are faster than brushed motors with twice as much power? Whats going on here?!!

Not to mention with the brushless motors the car runs much quieter, doesn't cog at all and is just way more enjoyable to drive. I think if you care about this hobby and want to have as much fun in it as possible, you shouldn't drive a brushless car until you've driven a brushed motor car and you should convert said car to brushless yourself. After your finished you'll be preaching like me for sure. That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.

The reason why I was running only one 7.2v nimh was only to test out the esc, I thought if I was lucky it would turn the motor slighty so I could at least tell it was working but little did I know that with only 1 battery the damn thing would be faster than its stock counterpart with 2 battery's! This is madness! Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
FieroMan121

Default RE: Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

+1 ppl need to stop expecting things to be handed to them and instant gratification. electric conversions are so much fun even if you just use over sized brushed motors

ppl need to put down their slashes, pull their cooling heads out of butts and pick up a dremal and a screwdriver!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
scoobs92

brushed motors will always have a spot in the hobby because they are great for beginners and for people that are not looking for high speed and are also on a budget i have a soft spot for them beacuse for a long time that is all we had or nitro my son's first rc was a brushed pede and in 5 yeqars or maybe ealier my other little one will learn on a brushed motor then move to bl
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
deviltrigger529

I had sort of the same experience; I started out with nitro a few years ago and it wasnt for me, sold that and got into 1/5th scale gas, loved it but too expensive had alot of down time waiting for parts. In the meantime I bought a used slash 2wd with a vxl system already installed and loved it. The fiance did as well and I got her a used stock XL-5 slash and the difference between the 2 was crazy. Neither of us could wait for the titan to crap out so we could upgrade hers to brushless as well(luckily it didnt take long ).

And finally, I just recently had the itch for something bigger and 4wd so I ended up getting an emaxx 3905 roller off ebay for $170 shipped and threw the MMM combo in it and had myself a brushless edition emaxx for around $380, minus the dumb stuff which I dont really care for anyway.

And BTW, I'm fairly new to the hobby as well and there wasnt that much involved in doing a BL conversion, even on an emaxx. Take out old esc and motor and put in the new ones and calibrate...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Specialzed
Banned

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529
And BTW, I'm fairly new to the hobby as well and there wasnt that much involved in doing a BL conversion, even on an emaxx. Take out old esc and motor and put in the new ones and calibrate...
oh baby italics for emphasis , my experience was I guess just not as good as yours. I didnt have the right tools and I still cant mount my esc properly without a dremel that I dont intend to buy anytime soon. Take off the body and its the ugliest thing you've ever seen, despite the fact that it works perfectly . I cannot wait until "savage boy" (guy in my neighbor hood that runs his savage all the time loud and annoying) comes out again with that damn savage, it will eat my electric dust!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
ozzie-crawl

when i first started with rc cars there was nothing but kits,no rtr, taught me a lot in building and how to repair my own car at 14 years old.
that was in the early 80s,the quality and power of the cars these days is out standing.
i had my hyper short course truck on the onroad track a few days ago just playing around,there was a guy with a nitro 1/10 touring car (cheap bv1)who coundnt keep up with me
even on the straights with a 2 speed my car was quicker on 2s,think he would have cried if i dropped a 3s in
Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Specialzed
Banned

ORIGINAL: ozzie-crawl

when i first started with rc cars there was nothing but kits,no rtr, taught me a lot in building and how to repair my own car at 14 years old.
that was in the early 80s,the quality and power of the cars these days is out standing.
i had my hyper short course truck on the onroad track a few days ago just playing around,there was a guy with a nitro 1/10 touring car (cheap bv1)who coundnt keep up with me
even on the straights with a 2 speed my car was quicker on 2s,think he would have cried if i dropped a 3s in
Thats pretty amazing because 1/10 scale touring cars tend to be quick from what ive seen. Hope my 2s 5000mah's come tomorrow, they are ready to be used [>:]
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

There is nothing wrong with a little maintenance on your motor..... Brushed can be just as fast as brushless. Dont be fooled though brushless does it more efficiently.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
ozzie-crawl

ORIGINAL: Specialzed

Thats pretty amazing because 1/10 scale touring cars tend to be quick from what ive seen. Hope my 2s 5000mah's come tomorrow, they are ready to be used [>:]
yea but he had crappy tyres,couldnt drive,mind you i was on dirt tyres
on road track,quick lap in my car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoaXXcpuEe0
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
jd31

thing about nitro,
it may be outdated but imo having owned both a bl truck and a nitro one the nitro kicked *****,
sure it wasnt as fast or quiet as the bl but the noise, mixed with headaches
makes it the most fun segment for bashing IMO
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
The Mad Modder

+1 Same here. RTRs seem perfect for beginners, but they take away the knowledge of how your car works that you get when you build it. I see so many newbies bringing their stampedes and slashes into the LHS for even the simplest of repairs. It's even worse that they have to shell out $30 an hour(with a minimum of $30 even if it doesn't take a full hour).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
proanti1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you have not already done a brushless conversion yourself. I say this only because the experience is amazing. I have a 3905 Emaxx that I got on a trade off the marketplace and I wanted to convert it to brushless. Throughout the whole time of ordering and waiting to receive the parts for the conversion I was always kicking myself in the back of my mind for not just getting a Brushless Emaxx or a Savage Flux.

Through all the headache of a brushless conversion being done by an RC beginner (taking things apart, mounting new things, SOLDERING) I have to say once the car runs, all the headache is worth it. Brushed motors are OLD TECHNOLOGY and the difference between them and brushless motors is like NIGHT AND DAY. My Emaxx running a 540 size 2600kv Turnigy inrunner through a HK150a esc with only 1 7.2v 4600mah battery is faster than my Emaxx with twin titans and 2 7.2v 4600mah battery's

Hold up,

Brushless motors with half the power are faster than brushed motors with twice as much power? Whats going on here?!!

Not to mention with the brushless motors the car runs much quieter, doesn't cog at all and is just way more enjoyable to drive. I think if you care about this hobby and want to have as much fun in it as possible, you shouldn't drive a brushless car until you've driven a brushed motor car and you should convert said car to brushless yourself. After your finished you'll be preaching like me for sure. That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.

The reason why I was running only one 7.2v nimh was only to test out the esc, I thought if I was lucky it would turn the motor slighty so I could at least tell it was working but little did I know that with only 1 battery the damn thing would be faster than its stock counterpart with 2 battery's! This is madness! Has anyone else had an experience like this?
+1

Brushless is destroying the racing part of the hobby... an expensive "stock" system puts out double the power of a 27t motor. I remember being able to throw my rc10lss in my backpack, head to the track and race on like 8 packs I charged the night before and race competitively in stock class for hours. Now all these people are running $200 systems within the same class as my $65 brushed motor and getting pissed when I don't move when they try to lap me. Brushless is totally moving the hobby away from beginners and people with shallow pockets.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Aren't there like a dozen different racing classes? Why on earth don't they differentiate between brushed and brushless? When even a cheap BL setup will blow a good brushed setup out of the water, it seems like they shouldn't be allowing them to run in the same class.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
savagecommander

right- brushed and BL shouldnt be in the same class. and you cant say BL is taking the sport away from ppl with shallow pockets, BC mine are about as thin as they get and i picked up a 3500kv motor and 4s esc for less than $80...i run my rustys wheels off with it... pretty soon the price gap will break and there wont really need to be brushed motors anymore
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

its a help to me for cars to come prebuilt since i build rc airplanes and i build wood crafts for a hobby as well. so I take no issue with RTR brushless or anything else for that matter. someone somewhere may want to put their time somewhere else. im not planning on going brushless anytime soon though on my cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
grimgard

HUH? This thread is all over the place. Buy what you want, run what you want, and STFU this is Amercia land of the free!

I own way to many RC's half are brushed and half are brushless and some are RTR's are some are built by me, and you know what I like them both [X(] I love my brushed Slash because when all the people running brushless slashes they keep over shooting the jumps and crashing at the corners because they are going to fast I keep on the track and win! My Brushless RC's are fun for bashing and pulling wheelies and racing on the bigger 1/8th scale tracks.

This is not rocket science so stop patting your self on your back because you were able to use a Hex wrench, solder a few wires, and apply sticky tape.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
cumquat

Hold up,

just what this hobby needs, another "brushless is god" fanboy. i would bet my last dollar you have never even ran a nitro let alone owned one. nitro is still dominating the 1/8th scale racing scene for a reason.

when you race the savage make sure you record it and your face, i want to watch the savage pass your maxx and the look on your face when it happens.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

right- brushed and BL shouldnt be in the same class. and you cant say BL is taking the sport away from ppl with shallow pockets, BC mine are about as thin as they get and i picked up a 3500kv motor and 4s esc for less than $80...i run my rustys wheels off with it... pretty soon the price gap will break and there wont really need to be brushed motors anymore
some of us dont even have$ 80 for a bl system. i have to save for 2 months for that and thats only if i dont spend any of my money.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: cumquat

some of us dont even have$ 80 for a bl system. i have to save for 2 months for that and thats only if i dont spend any of my money.
this is true- but there are BL systems on the market that are the same power and cost $150 - all im saying is its becoming more and more affordable.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

this is true- but there are BL systems on the market that are the same power and cost $150 - all im saying is its becoming more and more affordable.
I bought a Firestorm roller, brand new.

added this esc
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8993

and this motor
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6673

total price was less than the RTR Firestorm Flux, but while the rtr version does 55kph, mine does 110kph.

I'd never buy an RTR brand name car, because they're over priced, and under performing!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
blank916

ORIGINAL: grimgard

HUH? This thread is all over the place. Buy what you want, run what you want, and STFU this is Amercia land of the free!

I own way to many RC's half are brushed and half are brushless and some are RTR's are some are built by me, and you know what I like them both [X(] I love my brushed Slash because when all the people running brushless slashes they keep over shooting the jumps and crashing at the corners because they are going to fast I keep on the track and win! My Brushless RC's are fun for bashing and pulling wheelies and racing on the bigger 1/8th scale tracks.

This is not rocket science so stop patting your self on your back because you were able to use a Hex wrench, solder a few wires, and apply sticky tape.
Amen brother......to each thier own.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Paron34
My Feedback: (1)

Brushless are quieter ?? mine are alot louder both my MM 5700 and Novak Ballistic 8.5T hmmm maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paron34

Brushless are quieter ?? mine are alot louder both my MM 5700 and Novak Ballistic 8.5T hmmm maybe I'm doing something wrong.
depends if you have a plastic spur it will be pretty quiet
On the other hand my Brushless RC's that have a metal spur are louder than my Nitro MT2

Other than that this threads pretty amusing

Side note Mad Modder if the hobby lost the RTR's and the newbies that have more money than common sense,who can't do the most basic of repairs, I'm guessing a quite a few LHS's would probably go under pretty fast. Most hobby shops I've seen make a some good income doing those easy repairs which helps keep them in business.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Lilredmachine

Wha? Brushed to brushless isn't a conversion[sm=75_75.gif]

Besides, there are plenty of ways to get a brushed rc to do brushless speeds. A big block E-maxx with twin 970s is easily capable of 45mph. It's no where near as efficient, obviously, but 45mph is 45mph. Open class touring cars with low turn brushed motors are capable of 60+mph, they just need the motor rebuilding every few runs.

Brushless isn't faster than brushed par se, it's simply easier for the plebs that know stuff all about the hobby to throw money at. The RTR brushless is the ultimate lazy man's perfromance device.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
FieroMan121

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Hold up,

+1

Brushless is destroying the racing part of the hobby... an expensive ''stock'' system puts out double the power of a 27t motor. I remember being able to throw my rc10lss in my backpack, head to the track and race on like 8 packs I charged the night before and race competitively in stock class for hours. Now all these people are running $200 systems within the same class as my $65 brushed motor and getting pissed when I don't move when they try to lap me. Brushless is totally moving the hobby away from beginners and people with shallow pockets.
funny thats what ppl were saying when brushless first hit the scene

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.