Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official MONSTER XX Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
4goodbuys2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official MONSTER XX Truck Thread

I didn't say it wasn't durable I just know what I would of done to it if I was 10.
The one thing I was worried about are the dogbones.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM
J.D.T

several companies make cvds for the df 02 and if you use tamiya part 53790 outdrives you can use df 03 cvds, front shock tower can be taken care of with aluminum or carbon fibre, I use both actually, the cf mounted to the front of a aluminum one, no problems since.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73349.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1486557  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

several companies make cvds for the df 02 and if you use tamiya part 53790 outdrives you can use df 03 cvds, front shock tower can be taken care of with aluminum or carbon fibre, I use both actually, the cf mounted to the front of a aluminum one, no problems since.
probably the best bet I bent my alum shock towers (dunno how seeing I didn't hit any large bumps) Now I took some T5(maybe T6 forgot what its 3mm think though) alum and cut it out to the shape of the shock tower and mounted it similar to how you did the CF mount. I had issues bending the alum I cut with a hammer when I made a chassis so the df-02 should have no issues with it

ORIGINAL: 4goodbuys2

I didn't say it wasn't durable I just know what I would of done to it if I was 10.
The one thing I was worried about are the dogbones.
Cheaper than the Tycos I owned as a kid. I had probably 10 of the tycos that cost more than this particular RC. I broke most of em. $120 Tyco Lamborghini I broke the front wheel hub on one, and other I lost control (gotta love tycos crappy controllers), and it went full speed into a curb shattering its front end completely off. In the end I took the 2 and combined them into one. Trashed gear box's on a few of em too.
Lets face is $120 a pop for breaking one part or $99 and $5 parts which is cheaper, and more economical

Side note I've yet to lose a dogbone on the df-02 they are very well fitted. Seriously there is like 0 play.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Omega-Tron

I just found this truck at Target today and couldn't believe it was the Tamiya DF-02 chassis! (my dad has a Grevel Hound) 

It looked like a well built kit (as in, not just a cruddy knock-off).  I too would be interested in seeing what the differentials look like (metal gears or not, etc.) if anyone who has this truck wants to disassemble theirs.  

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

dunno on their site for parts they show metal diff gears, no idea whats in it
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Omega-Tron

Ah, sure, didn't think about just checking the parts on their website. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
RC MACHINES

I spoke to customer service. They said that the parts on the site are the parts in these 1:10 MONSTER XX vehicles. The only thing that is different is that there is a larger motor that actually comes in the vehicle ( 550 type motor ) verses the motor on the website ( 540 type motor ). Even better! 

I double checked this on the packaging this vehicle comes in and it also says the motor is a 550 motor. This thing runs pretty fast and goes through grass and dirt really well since it's all wheel drive. 
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Tempted to pick one up for the hell of it to see how well its made, their parts might be a good alternative to having to order DF-02 parts from tamiya. Might make a decent alternative to always recommending stampedes, and stuff for low cost entry level.

Might wait till next month seeing I already blew $200 on parts already. Unless I happen to drive by a target in the mean time than I'd just buy it
Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 PM
RC MACHINES

Hey Syco VeNoM - lots of Target stores around so it is easy to drive by one and be tempted. Ha! ha! 

If you do pick one up, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. I'm just a novice driver, but mine seems to be holding up really well. Now if that tree will just stop jumping in front of me. Lol. 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: RC MACHINES

Hey Syco VeNoM - lots of Target stores around so it is easy to drive by one and be tempted. Ha! ha!

If you do pick one up, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. I'm just a novice driver, but mine seems to be holding up really well. Now if that tree will just stop jumping in front of me. Lol.
Well I know of 4 the closest is around a mile out of my way the others are farther, that one usually looks like it was ransacked, half the packages ripped open etc...

I one is on my way to the LHS but I have not had a real reason to go there recently (haven't needed to test fit any parts). Although in a few weeks I will for bearings for my DF-02 when I get my CVDs in

BTW the curbies are worst they just seem to pop up out of nowhere and break front A-arms Only issue I've had with a tree was getting my savage out of one after I got it stuck on a branch.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
RC MACHINES

Now that's one I have got to hear about. What did you do.... power your Savage up a tree and got it stuck. Ha! ha! Or did you jump it and get big air into a tree? Ha! HA! If you did jump it into a tree, did you get a video? 
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Krazy Chicken

saw one of these at the target by my house also, it does look promising, except that the box was smassed like it fell off the shelf, and looked like it was missing the battery
Old 08-22-2010, 07:39 PM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: Omega-Tron

I just found this truck at Target today and couldn't believe it was the Tamiya DF-02 chassis! (my dad has a Grevel Hound)

It looked like a well built kit (as in, not just a cruddy knock-off). I too would be interested in seeing what the differentials look like (metal gears or not, etc.) if anyone who has this truck wants to disassemble theirs.

another iowa guy, which target was it at? I need to check the suburb targets as nothing on the south side yet.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
rclover96

have you took in water? i want to purchase but wondering is it durable?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Krazy Chicken

so is every one 100% sure it is a df02 w/ truck tires and body?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Omega-Tron

It was the Target in Sioux City. I actually bought it and returned it 2 hours later. lol I felt bad dropping the money at the time but I just sold one of my 1:1 cars so maybe I'll pick it back up if it's still there....

ORIGINAL: Omega-Tron

It looked like a well built kit (as in, not just a cruddy knock-off). I too would be interested in seeing what the differentials look like (metal gears or not, etc.) if anyone who has this truck wants to disassemble theirs.

another iowa guy, which target was it at? I need to check the suburb targets as nothing on the south side yet.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Krazy Chicken

lol i like how the box says "pro grade"
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

so is every one 100% sure it is a df02 w/ truck tires and body?
If you can't tell by looking at the assembled chassis, compair the extreme machines parts at the link earlier in this thread with the parts at tamiyausa

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58334

Tamiya has licensed the df 02 chassis before to tyco, they were branded as flashfire rc sold for $69.99, they had a odd battery setup but all the purple and while ones were df 02 chassis. The yellow and white was an older tamiya chassis. Amazon at one time sold these for $59.99 with free shipping.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image....L._AA300_.jpg
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Now that's one I have got to hear about. What did you do.... power your Savage up a tree and got it stuck. Ha! ha! Or did you jump it and get big air into a tree? Ha! HA! If you did jump it into a tree, did you get a video?
Easy
City made a BMX park in a heavily wooded area. The ramps are easily 10 feet high. Tree branches are like 5 feet over em. Launched savage around 10-15 feet higher and hit the tree and got its arm caught on a branch. Had to find a broken piece of tree (found a 15 foot or so branch) and had to climb one of the ramps near it to knock it down BTW the park is abandoned by bikers (I wonder why with branches 5 feet over the jumps) from what I seen of it, but the city keeps it maintained, and free from overgrowth . Don't do videos seeing I pretty much solo drive (don't know anyone with my poor schedule) so vids are basically impossible (last time I tried taking one I did a hour, and $10 in damage to my truggy)

rclover96 unless you waterproof it I wouldn't take it anywhere near water I doubt it will last very long (well maybe a second of 2)

Might go stop at target on thursday to see if they have any just for comparison tests
Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
RC MACHINES

Sounds like you have a great place to run some RC's. It be cool if you get get a video of it. Call it BIG AIR! 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds like you have a great place to run some RC's. It be cool if you get get a video of it. Call it BIG AIR!
It sounds better than it is. The ramps are basically too steep for most RC's to go up. Actually my savage had issues till I started driving up one ramp till it started slipping, than turning it around and using the momentum to catapult it up the target ramp. Nothing else I own can get halfway up the ramps (or probably survive the jumps if they did)

Most the time I just run my RC's in the street in front which is the main reason I got offroad RCs (Trust me if you saw how bad my street was you would understand why I needed off-road RC's to run on it )
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
The Mad Modder

If you can't tell by looking at the assembled chassis, compair the extreme machines parts at the link earlier in this thread with the parts at tamiyausa

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58334

Tamiya has licensed the df 02 chassis before to tyco, they were branded as flashfire rc sold for $69.99, they had a odd battery setup but all the purple and while ones were df 02 chassis. The yellow and white was an older tamiya chassis. Amazon at one time sold these for $59.99 with free shipping.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image....L._AA300_.jpg
According to a Tamiya rep I e-mailed a while back, the flashfire wasn't licensed.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

That Monster XX looks like a steal for $100. If Tamiya parts interchange, then I would not hesitate to buy one. A 4wd electric 1/10 truck RTR for $100 isnt bad at all. If im close to target, ill be looking to see if they have one just to check it out.

Eric
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
e123

Are the parts interchangeable? That seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: e123

Are the parts interchangeable? That seems like a pretty good deal.
looks like a perfect clone from what I seen in the pics & parts list hope to get one Thursday to do a comparison. I'll even do a complete tear down to make sure its a good copy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.