RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Team Losi XX Buggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10048261-team-losi-xx-buggy.html)

stw9495 10-04-2010 11:37 PM

Team Losi XX Buggy

1 Attachment(s)
I'm about to get this vintage Losi:

Attachment 2237807

From a guy my friend knows. He says its only been run once or twice since it was built. My main concern with this thing is the Hydradrive. I've read different things about it, I was considering leaving it unless I found a big problem with it. I think it's pretty neat, myself. I just want it for another vehicle...I like buggys, and this might be something I can let my uncle drive with me.

My only concerns are finding the fluid. They have some to give me, but I worry I may run out. (I read you can use the conventional slipper, though?)

Anyways. Not bad, hoping to give $100, guy wants $150.

Any thoughts? I could use some help here.<br type="_moz" />

smenton 10-05-2010 04:37 AM

RE: Team Losi XX Buggy

Alot like an Evader Bx, not a bad car to drive havent had any prblems with the hyrdra drive,

wouldnt really call it vintage though, Evader bought the design of losi, so parts are interchangeable etc..

kaiser01 10-05-2010 07:23 AM

the XX is the first "modern" buggy IMHO. most new designs owe alot to the XX.

it's a great car and can still be competitive. in fact last wednesdays buggy a-main at the local track was a battle between a XX and a new schumacher cougar sv. so the XX can still hang with the best of them.

don't worry about the hydradrive, being that it's not very used it will last a long time.

XX is alot better than an evader even though they are similar, the XX's materials are worlds better. losi really nailed it with thier high end molded components.

FoamyVictim 10-05-2010 09:59 AM

Yup, its a great car. I have two of them. One is pretty much functional. the other is a rolling chassis/parts car:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ht/XXbuggy.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ggytopless.jpg

Speaking of Vintage competing with modern cars. Here's a guy that runs an original RC10 in the mod buggy class:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...C10cropped.jpg

kaiser01 10-05-2010 10:12 AM

i actually tracked down my old XX, i'm going to buy it back from the guy.

a good driver can win with just about anything that was race bred.

heck i still race my jrx2 fom time to time in mod buggy and i'm in the process of building a rc10 to compete in mod buggy.

you can't beat "the oldies". http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 02:19 PM

Foamy, do you reckon the guy with the old RC10 realizes how much narrower he's making his car by using the B4 wheels?

That's awesome he still runs it [8D]

FoamyVictim 10-05-2010 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Foamy, do you reckon the guy with the old RC10 realizes how much narrower he's making his car by using the B4 wheels?

That's awesome he still runs it [8D]
I noticed that too, and I'm really not sure he knows(prolly does, he's been racing a while now). I don't know if he can find the old style wheels. Do you know of a place that sells the ones with the correct offset?

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 03:53 PM

No, can't :(

Just noticed though, put the B2's old wheels/tires on the B4, and it made it significantly wider. Otherwise ThunderbirdJunkie wouldn't have known.

CustomWorks may make some, actually...

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 03:57 PM

OH WAIT,

Duratrax Evader BX wheels
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWP3&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCXT5&P=7

FoamyVictim 10-05-2010 04:30 PM

Cool, I'll send him the info. Thanks man... I mean, thank the ThunderbirdJunkie. Since ThunderbirdJunkie is always in 3rd person. :D

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 04:40 PM

;)

Tell the guy to keep an eye out for some B2 transmission parts on his old-stuff searches [&:]

mc4798 10-05-2010 04:43 PM

Actually let me correct some issues concerning the rc10 and its wheels.

First the closest rc wheels are the evader nitro bx or if you want a better quality wheel thunder tiger phoenix buggy wheels are the same.
Pn # pd8982 and pd8979

You can use B4 wheels on your rc10,b2,b3 aslong as you use the b4 axles and cv's in the rear. Actually makes the buggy wider :)
From the pic it looks like he is running the b4 stuff.

I also think setup, driver makes alot more diffrence than buggy or truck. Local with a b3 won in a 13.5 class here.
If you cant setup your car or drive, it wont matter if you have a rb5 or a hornet. Your losing.

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 04:54 PM

mc, if you actually click the links ThunderbirdJunkie posted, you'll find they are links to Evader BX wheels ;)

If you think putting B4 axles and such in a B2 will make the buggy wider and have properly fitting B4 wheels, would like to know more. That's something ThunderbirdJunkie can do now :)

mc4798 10-05-2010 04:59 PM

Sorry Tbird, Didnt clink the linkys ;)

The reason it makes the rc10 wider is with b4 wheels. Sorry about that as I wasnt clear.

I can put up some pics later on this week. 12hr work days this week so not much time in the shop.

B3 and maybe b2 you can drop a b4 slipper/spur setup right in. Topshaft and all is a direct fit.

stw9495 10-05-2010 05:17 PM

Dang guys, you got all nostalgic on me!lol. This will be my first buggy, I'm glad to hear it's still competitive...Ilove the old stuff, especially when you can even beat someone with newer stuff out with the old technology. I'm still waiting on all my dealings to go through, but maybe I'll have it by the end of this week and Ican get some videos up of it running and everything. I'm really anxious to get it!

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mc4798

The reason it makes the rc10 wider is with b4 wheels. Sorry about that as I wasnt clear.

I can put up some pics later on this week. 12hr work days this week so not much time in the shop.

B3 and maybe b2 you can drop a b4 slipper/spur setup right in. Topshaft and all is a direct fit.
Knew that the topshaft is a drop-in...got the V2 slipper and MIP topshaft in a pile of parts that're gonna go into the B2. Still can't find a new B3 transmission case to drop new bearings, new idler, and a B3/4/GT diff into :(

It's weird that the B4 wheels would make the B2 wider...the B2 wheels stick out a LOT more on the B4 than the B4 wheels do [sm=confused.gif]

mc4798 10-05-2010 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: stw9495

Dang guys, you got all nostalgic on me!lol. This will be my first buggy, I'm glad to hear it's still competitive...Ilove the old stuff, especially when you can even beat someone with newer stuff out with the old technology. I'm still waiting on all my dealings to go through, but maybe I'll have it by the end of this week and Ican get some videos up of it running and everything. I'm really anxious to get it!

LOL, They are all good. I finished 4th with a evader in mod buggy. Faster than lots of b4's and losi's. Slower than a few also ;)

mc4798 10-05-2010 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Knew that the topshaft is a drop-in...got the V2 slipper and MIP topshaft in a pile of parts that're gonna go into the B2. Still can't find a new B3 transmission case to drop new bearings, new idler, and a B3/4/GT diff into :(

It's weird that the B4 wheels would make the B2 wider...the B2 wheels stick out a LOT more on the B4 than the B4 wheels do [sm=confused.gif]
Will the b3 tranny case work ? I would think so being how the idler and bearing sizes are the same.

the offset with the b4 wheels along with b4 axles (front) cvs rear are wider than b2/3

Cant remeber but may have to use the csater blocks also. Your gonna make go to the shop http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

Take a look at the tranny in the file

FoamyVictim 10-05-2010 07:39 PM

I finished 3rd the first race day out with my XX... [8D] These old cars are still competitive, and a joy to drive(with the right setup of course). Recently a guy brought out his old T3. Original tires, shock oil, springs, etc... just a 21.5 and lipo for modern upgrades. It was a BLAST to drive. Granted, with the 21.5 it topped out a little over 20 mph. :D It was just fast enough to be fun, but would carve the nicest lines through the bulk of the track. I couldn't catch him with my B4 and 10.5! [&:] I just barely kept pace! :)

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 08:15 PM

Will the b3 tranny case work ? I would think so being how the idler and bearing sizes are the same.

the offset with the b4 wheels along with b4 axles (front) cvs rear are wider than b2/3

Cant remeber but may have to use the csater blocks also. Your gonna make go to the shop [img][/img]

The B3 and B2 transmission cases are interchangeable as long as you use the correct diff (B3 has a 2.6:1 trans ratio, B2 is 2.4, smaller diff gear in the B2). Bearings are all the same. Have tried to find the TTR buggy parts, but can't find 'em in the US :(

mc4798 10-05-2010 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I finished 3rd the first race day out with my XX... [8D] These old cars are still competitive, and a joy to drive(with the right setup of course). Recently a guy brought out his old T3. Original tires, shock oil, springs, etc... just a 21.5 and lipo for modern upgrades. It was a BLAST to drive. Granted, with the 21.5 it topped out a little over 20 mph. :D It was just fast enough to be fun, but would carve the nicest lines through the bulk of the track. I couldn't catch him with my B4 and 10.5! [&amp;:] I just barely kept pace! :)
Nice.

I enjoy seeing the older stuff doing well. Just means its not all about money then.

mc4798 10-05-2010 08:25 PM

Cant remeber but may have to use the csater blocks also. Your gonna make go to the shop [img][/img]

The B3 and B2 transmission cases are interchangeable as long as you use the correct diff (B3 has a 2.6:1 trans ratio, B2 is 2.4, smaller diff gear in the B2). Bearings are all the same. Have tried to find the TTR buggy parts, but can't find 'em in the US :(
If your patient there coming to tower :)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...VSEARCH=pd7350

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-05-2010 08:47 PM

Oooooooooooooh this is good news!

Replacement parts aplenty!

mc4798 10-06-2010 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Oooooooooooooh this is good news!

Replacement parts aplenty!

Me thinks so too http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gif

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-06-2010 02:03 AM

Front shock tower doesn't look quite as tough as what's on the B2. Hmm.