RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Lipo Fire Destroyed my E-Maxx among other things (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10100355-lipo-fire-destroyed-my-e-maxx-among-other-things.html)

quickshot23 10-28-2010 02:02 PM

Lipo Fire Destroyed my E-Maxx among other things

I made a newbie mistake in charging my lipo unattended and with a less-then-great charger

Here is a link to blog.shophde.com/2010/10/12/charging-a-battery-while-sleeping-is-not-recommended/

Here are some pictures of the damage

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/IMG_1603.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/IMG_1582.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/IMG_1600.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/IMG_1601.jpg

Eman77 10-28-2010 02:19 PM

RE: Lipo Fire Destroyed my E-Maxx among other things

What was the pack capacity, what amps did you charge at? Did you have a balancer?

That's rough, man.

What charger did you use, for that matter?

SyCo_VeNoM 10-28-2010 02:22 PM

Charging the battery in the vehicle is a big nono. Even NiMh it was recommended you remove it prior to charging.
Charging when you are not able to see it is also a BIG nono.

Be glad you still have a house. I read another story about a guy that improperly charged his lipo being made homeless after his mistake.

redfisher1974 10-28-2010 02:33 PM

I have my charger and batteries on a sheet of glass from a old coffee table, works great.

Dale Gribble 10-28-2010 02:36 PM

I think it is imperative that you disclose the charger you used, the charge rate, the pack types, etc. I commend you for being forthright and honest; others try to pawn off these kind of mishaps as 'factory defects'.

That is scary right there...

Eman77 10-28-2010 02:38 PM

I'm really curious about the details on this one. You tend to hear these random "LiPo burned down my entire city block" stories, but with very little detail. As a result, everyone seems to think LiPo will burn down every other time you charge them.

More info is always helpful, to help prevent future problems.

Slo-V Flyer 10-28-2010 03:16 PM

Very interesting, unfortunate, and yet another good reason, to reinforce the practice and SAFETY measure of never charging a battery in a model, AND never leave a lipo battery charging unattended ESPECIALLY if you're heading to bed.

I believe more than a few forum members here have admitted to charging their lipos in their truck, and I'm not talking about noobs, but seasoned forumites with xx,xxx posts..you know who you are. I think if you are going to take risks, at least be prepared for the worst. I just don't see the sanity in leaving a $20 battery in a $300-$800 investment just because it takes 30 seconds to unplug it from the charger and slide it into the truck, or whatever any reason there is.

guver 10-28-2010 04:13 PM

Hmm, yae. Looks bad, why did it go burny?

ITS ME DAVID 10-28-2010 04:20 PM

In for more details.

4goodbuys2 10-28-2010 05:42 PM

I'm waiting for the details also before I buy a charger or lipos.

redfisher1974 10-28-2010 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 4goodbuys2

Please dont let this turn you away from lipo....

Dale Gribble 10-28-2010 05:49 PM

Honestly, it sounds like he plugged the batteries into a crappy charger and then went to bed. Don't get a crappy charger and don't plug the batteries in unattended and you will be fine. NiMH batteries (or any batteries) would do the same thing if not charged properly.

RobbieP 10-28-2010 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: quickshot23

I made a newbie mistake in charging my lipo unattended and with a less-then-great charger
I think we've all walked away from a charging pack from time to time, to get a drink or answer the phone or something.
So guys use "less-than-great chargers."

Oh - and aLipo fire didn't destroy your truck, you destroyed your own truck.
<u>The newbie mistake of charging the battery while it was in your truck.
</u>
We know what a burned up car looks like, but what about the other details?
Whatbrand of battery was it?
What brand of charger?
What charge rate?

4goodbuys2 10-28-2010 06:17 PM

It's not going to turn me away from lipo but it will change the brand I buy and the price range.
I was going to buy a hobbyking charger and a hobby king or turingy lipo pack but every time I went to buy them I had second thoughts.
I would like the questions that robbie and the others were asking to be answered.

inteva6184 10-28-2010 06:33 PM

I am in for more details.</p>

t9dragon 10-28-2010 06:34 PM

User error is one of the main causes for Lipo failures...

Slo-V Flyer 10-28-2010 06:46 PM

I left the dude a message asking about the details on his blog there. Seems like a troll post or just hasn't had time to get back on RCU.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-28-2010 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

User error is one of the main causes for Lipo failures...
yup
most I read are either they used a pack capable of 100amps continuous current in a 120-150A setup

One where the dudes who house burnt down he said he for got to change the charge current and had them charging at over 2C if I remember right where they were rated 1C, and left them unattended.

Some over discharge them.

Another is it gets damaged and they decide its still good and try and charge it.

I don't think I've read any I charged my lipo, followed proper care, use, and the instructions to the letter and my lipo exploded threads

4goodbuys2 10-28-2010 07:43 PM

Type (lipo fire e-maxx) on google search it's the same post posted on tons of threads and blogs?

Dale Gribble 10-28-2010 07:45 PM

I personally don't think those lipos look too bad. They are just puffed a little. I would slap those into another truck IMO.

4goodbuys2 10-28-2010 07:51 PM

I hope he doesn't leave us hangin on the details.

Slo-V Flyer 10-28-2010 07:55 PM

Type (lipo fire e-maxx) on google search it's the same post posted on tons of threads and blogs?

HMMMM looks like a spammer trying to get people on to his site there on the link above then? hmm.. He only made one post and hasn't replied back all day.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-28-2010 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

HMMMM looks like a spammer trying to get people on to his site there on the link above then? hmm.. He only made one post and hasn't replied back all day.
well at least its RC based not like yesterdays Hearing aids in India spam...

Cleared2Engage 10-28-2010 09:37 PM

It was just posted today at noon (my time). Not everyone can sit next to the computer all day and answer forum questions. I say give it another day or so before we start ostracizing him for not giving us the details ASAP.

armoredsaint 10-28-2010 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

well at least its RC based not like yesterdays Hearing aids in India spam...
damn i missed out on a good deal! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.gif