RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Stampede XL-5 Motor Worn Out? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10121153-stampede-xl-5-motor-worn-out.html)

cooldriver385 11-07-2010 06:15 PM

Stampede XL-5 Motor Worn Out?

Yesterday my friend pulled out his XL-5 Stampede along with me. He has not ran his a whole lot, compared to me, I've probably ran over 150 charges or so. And I noticed, his is WAY faster than mine. And WAY more torque. My guess is, that my motor has well reached the end of it's useful life? Is this most likely it? If it is, what is a good brushed motor? Or would the Power Up Program for the VXL system be a better choice? I will almost certainly not run LiPo if I get VXL.

dug44 11-07-2010 07:04 PM

RE: Stampede XL-5 Motor Worn Out?

Have you ever put comm drops in? How bout oil the shaft? Even though it is a sealed motor, it still requires maintenance.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=356

thehuntingterminator 11-07-2010 07:08 PM

most likely the brushes in the motor are becoming corroded, making them not as efficient. vxl has virtually no maintenance, but there's the cost too. i would recommend just waiting until u have 25 bucks and going down to the hoby shop and picking up another titan 550.

cooldriver385 11-07-2010 08:10 PM

I may try to go for VXL. I just use my Stampede on the week days to relax after homework. On the weekends, I pull out my Jato for intense action.

thehuntingterminator 11-07-2010 08:14 PM

cool. check my youtube channel. here's the url:<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Segoe UI'; white-space: pre; ">http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHuntingTerminator?feature=mexp#p/u</span>

cooldriver385 11-07-2010 08:21 PM

I like that background, original Stampede?

thehuntingterminator 11-07-2010 08:25 PM

ha, no, but i'm glad u liked my channel. its actually a rustler that has stampede tires on it. watch this vid and it'll tell u about it: <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Segoe UI'; white-space: pre; ">http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHuntingTerminator?feature=mexp#p/u/7/OlvPLwGrvSo</span>

cummins driver 11-07-2010 09:48 PM

If i were you I would swap batteries with him to make sure you still have the same results. Its possible the batteries are getting weak. The motor is also a possibility, just might want to be sure before you throw parts at it.

Eric

cooldriver385 11-08-2010 08:37 PM

I kind of can't do that because mine is an older model when it still ran the Tamiya connector and his is a bit newer with the Traxxas connector. I think we could just pull the connector off of his charger and try it. But ya, my 2 1800mAh 7.2V 6 cell NiCad Venom batteries may be going to hit the end. Although my motor may be it, because my motor makes ALOT more noise than his. His is pretty quiet compared to mine. So, motor worn out?

thehuntingterminator 11-08-2010 08:44 PM

it probably is. just save up 30 bucks or so and buy a cheap 7 cell, this will fix most of your problems. ever look at my youtube vids?

cooldriver385 11-09-2010 06:22 AM

Well not only that, when neither of them are running, and we just roll them, my motor makes more noise when it is rolling than his does.

thehuntingterminator 11-09-2010 05:15 PM

i'm sure ur motor is bad, but buying a 7 cell will make it perform like it did with a 6 since ur motor's bad. after awile just buy another motor. its what i'd do

Slo-V Flyer 11-09-2010 06:01 PM

Well, most likely it is both your motor and your batteries. Nicads don't last very long, especially if they are as old as they sound (1800 mah). :D They lose their punch and capacity and just don't have that performance any more when old. Try his motor/battery (you could simply swap your ESC and battery for his so you don't have to mess with plugs.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you swap to new Traxxas or Deans high current connectors. Tamiya connectors SUCKKKKK bad and will hog a lot of current due to their resistance. That is one more source of problem in your truck. They can and will often melt due to the intense heat build up from the heat at the connectors. I guess you've not used it in such bad situations to cause them to go bad, but it's a good idea to upgrade ESC and battery connectors yesterday. :D

SyCo_VeNoM 11-09-2010 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

I kind of can't do that because mine is an older model when it still ran the Tamiya connector and his is a bit newer with the Traxxas connector. I think we could just pull the connector off of his charger and try it. But ya, my 2 1800mAh 7.2V 6 cell NiCad Venom batteries may be going to hit the end. Although my motor may be it, because my motor makes ALOT more noise than his. His is pretty quiet compared to mine. So, motor worn out?
those batteries SUCK seriously I had one it didn't even charge up to 1100mah. Thing would go flat dead from "full" charge after 3 minutes. I was using mine in a roto start for my nitros(which is just a 550 motor connected to the battery) and it couldn't even turn over my nitro engines.

Let my nephew try it in his pede once when he was here it didn't even move his pede after the chargers claimed it was done...

BTW those batteries were charged 4 times only from new...

Heres a simple test take the motor out of the pede. Grab one of the good batteries and plug the motor wires straight to the battery. If it spins the motor still works.

And like slow-V said swap to traxxas connectors they cost $3 on ebay