RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Wires going into ESC will probably break off eventually... Best fix? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10130428-wires-going-into-esc-will-probably-break-off-eventually-best-fix.html)

maxwolfie 11-12-2010 01:26 AM

Wires going into ESC will probably break off eventually... Best fix?

So the fan wires on my ESC have come loose, and as such I can certainly see my battery wires doing the same over time. What's the best fix? I was thinking some sort of silicon/cement compound, not only to make sure the wires don't break off at the PCB, but also to aid in keeping any water or mud out of my ESC.. Only potential issue (at least that I can think of) is that this would probably reduce airflow to the underside of the heatsink and also, certain compounds might have a degree of conductivity (though I think this is a nonissue).

I don't think the ESC is going to miss the fan that much, but the battery is another story.

Thoughts?

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-12-2010 01:57 AM

RE: Wires going into ESC will probably break off eventually... Best fix?

Max, does this speed control have the wires soldered outside of the case or inside the case?

Have you disassembled it to inspect the solder joints yet?

maxwolfie 11-12-2010 02:32 AM

The joints are fine at the moment. - But I can see them coming off over time

The ESCis not sealed - Basically it's just a housing under the PCB itself (and around it, but not on top), then the heatsink on top of that. The area of the PCBwhere all the wires go into are fully exposed, i.e. you can see the PCB and solder joints with ease. There are some smaller servo/Rx etc. wires that I am more worried about.

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-12-2010 02:44 AM

Don't worry about it. Worst comes to worst, you can always resolder them. Is this a Hobbywing ESC?

maxwolfie 11-12-2010 04:30 PM

It's a Novatech B4718.. It's weird though, the motor wires ARE sealed in, whereas the other side isn't (which you can't actually see from the picture..)

What I'm looking for is basically the same/similar compound that they would have used for the motor side.

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-12-2010 06:16 PM

Pop the case apart, and resolder the joints. Shouldn't take any more than your iron. Pretty easy, once you're able to get the case apart, it'll be pretty self-explanitory :)

Otherwise, those things are really so cheap they're disposable...throw it in the gutta, and go buy anudda [&:]