RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Lipo balancing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10177391-lipo-balancing.html)

Redvanmafia 12-05-2010 08:16 AM

Lipo balancing?

Hey everyone i have a question, i have 4-5 lipos laying around i keep them at 75% charge when im not using them, my 2 turnigy nano-tech 5000 45c's hold a consistant 3.83 across all cells and are never very far out of balance. but i have this one rhino 4s pack for my 2wd slash that reads 3.92 on the first two cells and 4.13 on the last 2 cells(while charging) But time and time again the last 2 cells peak at 4.21v's and the first 2 cells peak at 3.96-98, im wondering if this lipo is going to "kick the bucket" Or possibly give me problems with it in the future. or if anybody has had this problem

t9dragon 12-05-2010 08:34 AM

RE: Lipo balancing?

Buy a seperate balancer and it should balance out all the cells..

gelbschnee 12-05-2010 08:39 AM

does your charger have a balance charge setting or are you just doing a regular charge?

guver 12-05-2010 10:05 AM

The state of balance tends to stay for long periods of time. This is why some get away without balancing at all and some get away with a single check every year without any balancing at all and some get away with a once per year balance.

In an ideal case the cells are "in balance" because they started out that way. In your case the cells are "out of balance" and will stay that way until balanced. Balancing the pack (at the full mark) will "fix" it. Otherwise it can be damaged due to 2 cells being overcharged or overdischarged.

cooldriver385 12-05-2010 03:12 PM

Wouldn't it make it all the easier to balance the cells every time you charge them?

redfisher1974 12-05-2010 03:24 PM

it would not hurt.

t9dragon 12-05-2010 08:58 PM

I balance my lipos before and after every charge.

Redvanmafia 12-06-2010 03:18 AM

Same here, thats why im wondering why my numbers are off,

guver 12-06-2010 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I balance my lipos before and after every charge.
It is a bad thing to balance pack before it is charged normally. Any "balancing" that is done at a discharged state will be "undone" when the pack is charged fully. Balancing a discharged pack really just "unbalances" a balanced pack.

To see if what I say is true simply start with a normal perfectly balanced pack that is charged. Use it normally or discharge it down to nearly empty. Note any imbalance. Charge the pack back up without balancing it either before or after. The pack should again be perfectly balanced when full.

guver 12-06-2010 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

Same here, thats why im wondering why my numbers are off,
Balanced by definition really means that all cells are 4.2 volts so if the numbers are off then the pack is not balanced. The number in your firat post are terribly imbalanced and really should be taken care of by simply "balancing" (and charging) the pack when full.