RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Stampede Racer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10183706-stampede-racer.html)

YaItsGotAHemi 12-07-2010 10:53 PM

Stampede Racer

OK so i sold my nitro vehicles and the ta-05. I kept the stampede. Was gonna be a basher and then caught wind of my local track coming back around.

First of all i am not looking for a super competitive truck just looking for something that someone would be astonished to see my lap times and see it is from a Stampede. And something that i wouldn't feel completely retarded running laps with. I am lowering the truck a little bit with shorter/stiffer shocks. It is an old MSC truck that now has the Velineon setup. Looking for some ideas that will make it more track ready.

What wheels should i look into? Buggy? Or standard stampede wheels? As far as stance goes i want the shorter shocks and i figure the proline pro-trac setup with jato arms. I will not extend the truck. i want to keep the turning radius as much as possible. I have upgraded servo already. Mainly looking for what i should do to get the chassis track ready.

TIGER76 12-08-2010 06:19 AM

RE: Stampede Racer

Stampede and racing dont really go together m8 shame really but the handling can be improved a little lowering the cg,and like you said using protracs will help but the front end is way to light on the pede.
FLM do some extended arms for the pede but are costly and are alloy.

YaItsGotAHemi 12-08-2010 08:26 AM

i know it is not a prime racer i know. but i just want something to run laps with.

kaiser01 12-08-2010 11:06 AM

put a rustler chassis on it.

YaItsGotAHemi 12-08-2010 11:18 AM

i was consiering that. but switching to the bellcrank steering makes it pretty expensive. So far the ideas consist of a piece of lexan from rear suspension to front to cover and protect body under chassis. lower it to sit the arms parallel to the ground and mount the battery under the chassis and further lower the body post and put a nice truggy look lid on it to get it low. and the jato arms. should i go to buggy wheels or keep the 2.2"s?

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-08-2010 11:37 AM

Putting a Rustler chassis and the Rustler bellcrank steering on the Stampede is expensive? What part of this could even be considered expensive? It's like $25 tops.

Kylar 12-08-2010 01:33 PM

you could get a used rustler roller or chassis for real cheap, check ebay, or the marketplace. Or you could always get a used t3/t4 or xxxt for cheap and put the Velineon setup in it. It the long run either of those option would probably be cheaper then buying wheels/shocks, etc. Plus then you could keep the stampede as a nice basher just throw a cheap titan 12t combo in it.

trackmaster 12-08-2010 02:00 PM

are you planning on racing it in any particular class because i have never seen a class that a stampede is legal to race. there are ways to convert it into a slash so you dont have to buy a 200 dollar slash and you can race it at pretty much any track

Redvanmafia 12-08-2010 02:41 PM

Haha stampede racing!, Its fun in the neighbourhood but i cant count on two hands how many times your gonna get whooped on the track:P imo

YaItsGotAHemi 12-08-2010 09:51 PM

i doubt it would win anything. But it is what i have right now. And i think it would be interesting. The questions at hand right now is; what wheel setup should i run? Have any ideas to protect a battery under the chassis in a light manner? I intend to pick up a suitable race vehicle. but my Sport Maxx was modified to replicate a race truggy. and i like that look. And the sport maxx was just a basher. that is primarily what the stampede is going to be. Just looking to change its look and its terrible handling characteristics. So any help in acheiving these goals would be great. And Thank you!

plasmaedge 12-08-2010 10:07 PM

run the shocks out a fair bit wider than it is already.<div>
</div><div>Run shorter shocks</div><div>
</div><div>add a lil bit of weight to the front end.</div><div>
</div><div>get these tyres </div><div>
</div><div>http://prolineracing.com/tires/bow-tie-2.8-30-series-off-road-truck-tires/</div><div>
</div><div>or</div><div>
</div><div>http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain/badlands-2.8-30-series-all-terrain-truck-tires/</div><div>
</div><div>or mabye some 2.2 tyres</div>

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-08-2010 10:52 PM

Bone stock Stampede XL5s would be fun for a spec class.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-08-2010 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

unless your the guy that has to flip the trucks over ;)

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-09-2010 12:32 AM

Nah, make the 1/8 guys from the last heat do it[&:]

kaiser01 12-09-2010 06:54 AM

my neighbor was able to pull off a b-main win with a pede, granted the field was mixed and there were alot of newbs. it was pretty funny, the crowd was cheering him on.

he spent less time on his roof then the rest of the field. lol

YaItsGotAHemi 12-09-2010 08:41 AM

well i am going to proceed onto making it into a racer. I know it wont be very competitive but it would be interesting. And after all it is just a hobby. I currently have the original 2.2's on it for wheels. Are buggy wheels smaller overall diameter? I am thinking on running 17mm adapters and some velocity v2 wheels. but just looking for the lightest wheel and tire setup.

I was looking going to try and get me a ruster front body post setup so i can lower the center of gravity some more.

ScottStaypuff 12-09-2010 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

My buddy races at a track in PA called RC Alley and they have a class called Mod Monster for 2wd monster trucks. Most of the trucks are Stampedes and most guys did the Rustler chassis mod and wide suspension arms. They're allowed to run any motor they want with a 2s lipo limit, rubber tires with a 4" minimum height I believe. When I went it looked like a lot of fun.

Lately they've been overrun with the SC phenomenon so mod monster hasn't been run much but I'm sure it'll be back. If three guys or more show up to the track with similar vehicles its a class for the night. (It's a pretty cool track) Indoor carpet offroad (has some removeable jumps) and the configuration changes every few months to keep it fresh. Sometimes he'll even change it a few times in a night though depending on what's running.

YaItsGotAHemi 12-11-2010 10:42 PM

took my first step forward in getting this on the road. Picked up a superbrain 977 charger and a couple of certech 4000mah 2s lipo. Next on the chopping block is the traxxas pro trac kit.