RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   fed up with this! need help choosing an esc (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10464695-fed-up-need-help-choosing-esc.html)

fighttheban 04-15-2011 12:05 PM

fed up with this! need help choosing an esc

Hi all I'm at the end of my tether with my rc equipment. I started out with a 100amp hk esc coupled with a 5.5t novak in a blitz which I bought second hand. After multiple runs through snow and using a 3s pack the capacitor fried then the whole esc failed. I knew I needed a weaker motor to draw less amps and a new esc so I went for a budget setup; an ezrun 9t (the ribbed 380 one) and an ezrun s-10 which could handle the amps supposedly . After a few runs with the 3s pack the motor was too hot to touch and thereafter it cogged heavily. Today the esc died in a puff of fire and smoke and, as much as I am loathed to make any moor poor decisions, I want to do this properly. Before the esc died I'd ordered an ezrun 17.5t for a tamer full size motor. I need advice on a new esc but I'm looking for reliability without a big price . I was looking at the ezrun sc8 but I'm open to the waterproof models from mtroniks . Before people jump in with recommendations for tekin or castle please bear in mind I'm a student and I've already wasted money on this truck, I just want something that works! If you've read this all I applaud you, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys .

Teknic 04-15-2011 01:21 PM

RE: fed up with this! need help choosing an esc

Not saying Castle and Novak don't fail, but would you rather keep wasting money on stuff that fails or save up a bit and get something quality and that has a warranty?

Eman77 04-15-2011 01:22 PM

Just curious - the ezrun 9T was a 380 sized motor running in a 1/10 SC? I'd think any 380 sized motor would die in an application like that. Gotta stick with a 540 can.

samguan 04-15-2011 01:46 PM

Are you running a 5.5T 540 Novak Motor, if so I think they are 7400KV which is way too high for an off-road truck.

For ESC, are you geared correctly?  I'm running the 100A HobbyKing ESC + Velineon motor on 3S without any problems.  I was using the SideWinder which was running too hot and put that into my crawler.  The 100A HobbyKing ESC is perfectly fine, runs very cool on mine.  Also, snow means water, you should becareful.

You shouldn't be going through ESCs like that if you are doing everything correct.  But again, it could be defective ESCs.  If you want guarantee or warranty, you can try the Mamba Max Pro.  I would skip the SideWinder ESC.

fighttheban 04-15-2011 02:05 PM

Thanks for the responses guys :D:D

Teknic- I'm not sure man, from what I've read theres problems either side, cheap HK or Castle stuff (lots of cogging issues I've read about with castle stuff) and to be honest I wouldn't live with myself (or my wallet) shelling out 130 sterling (212 dollars) for an ESC, it is ridiculously expensive here in the UK [:o] However the warranty definitely appeals I just can't be sure of the price [:@]

Eman77- I've learnt some lessons moving from nitro to electric, this was one of them! [:@][:@][:@] theres not even any chance of using it in a smaller kit now because its cogging like a pro, I think I overheated and damaged it [:@]. Just out of interest, what do you think of the 17.5t ezrun? the old one.

samguan- No, the truck came with the novak 5.5t but I didn't know much about ratings then. I geared the 9t with the 52 spur and 17t pinion on the blitz I think that was undergeared but I didn't want to overgear it if you get that [&:] Have you got a link to that HK ESC please :), what do you think about the sc8?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it :D

[8D]

samguan 04-15-2011 02:37 PM

This is the ESC, only get the 100A because it is the most reliable out of all other versions. I have been using for about one year now without any problems.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8993

And are you sure you have a Blitz? The smallest spur gear is at 77T.

Here is a video of mine.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yNtFhXQXQ[/youtube]

fighttheban 04-15-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks for the link, I've been looking at that one for a while now, what do you think of this one though http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10370

how do you know the 100 is the most reliable?
thx

FahrtAutoRC 04-15-2011 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get these. Trust me, top-o-the-line!

SyCo_VeNoM 04-15-2011 03:45 PM

The ribbed motor was a 35A motor which is suitable for on-road, or very light offroad use. That is why it fried. 2S on that rig would have probably been pushing the temps with that motor. it MIGHT have worked a little better with a 17t motor.

The HK esc probably died due to a short caused by snow seeing from what I remember they are not water proof (but outside marine ESC's I wouldn't trust the waterproof claim on ANY esc)

fighttheban 04-16-2011 02:14 AM

Thanks I can see how stupid I was using that combo now. I bought an ezrun 17.5 before my esc broke and because I've heard good reviews about it and it was a fair price I went for the xerun 80amp. This should work right guys ? [&:]

Haddi Taha 04-16-2011 02:47 AM

yep it should work.

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-16-2011 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Get these. Trust me, top-o-the-line!
YES!

redfisher1974 04-16-2011 09:41 AM

I still remember burning my finger on those.....

fighttheban 04-16-2011 09:50 AM

Cheers guys, just out of interest does anyone know if the xerun escs come wired with the motor wires or do you have to solder them on yourself

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-16-2011 09:52 AM

Just get a Tekin.

redfisher1974 04-16-2011 09:53 AM

Best of the best.

kaiser01 04-16-2011 09:54 AM

XE RUNS wires are soldered to the esc, you have to solder the wires to the motor.

also, keep your esc's dry, very dry.

fighttheban 04-16-2011 10:07 AM

I don't see the attraction of a Tekin at those prices TBJ especially here in the UK you can forget that man [:'(] what size pinion gear should I be running in the blitz because I heard somewhere undergearing can cause the motor to over rev or overheat?

fighttheban 04-16-2011 10:09 AM

Thanks by the way Kaiser that takes some of the work out for me and my poor soldering skills :(

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-16-2011 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: fighttheban

I don't see the attraction of a Tekin at those prices TBJ especially here in the UK you can forget that man [:'(] what size pinion gear should I be running in the blitz because I heard somewhere undergearing can cause the motor to over rev or overheat?
because you haven't run a good ESC. If you'd run one, you'd know the attraction ;)

Haddi Taha 04-16-2011 06:57 PM

the xerun esc are great don't worry about getting a tekin unless your a pro racer. I have lots of Hobbywing stuff and they are great except for the 380 in a 540 can stuff and the 35amp esc are not very good for anything heavier than a 1/10 buggy. I have owned 3 systems from hw and they are all great. I want a 120amp xerun system. Its costs a bit more than a sidewinder but it way better, it also is sensored.

Has TBJ used a HW Xerun before?

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-16-2011 07:39 PM

Nope, got no reason to buy one. Why would ThunderbirdJunkie waste $60 on something when he has no desire to own it?

Ya know, the same EXACT reason you guys don't buy GOOD ESCs.

Haddi Taha 04-16-2011 11:27 PM

That makes sense tbj. But really Hobbywing Xerun are very reliable and have lots of features (turbo software is nice) so they count as a GOODesc although they don't cost $300+ for a motor/esc combo.

fighttheban 04-17-2011 01:25 AM

I suppose it depends on seriously you take the hobby; brand loyalty and beliefs aside tbj all I want is a truck that runs well for bashing without dumping mega bucks

FahrtAutoRC 04-17-2011 04:18 AM

+1, Hence why my 4X4 and her Blitz both use MMP's

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: fighttheban

because you haven't run a good ESC. If you'd run one, you'd know the attraction ;)