RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   More power=new bandit :) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10517361-more-power%3Dnew-bandit.html)

hpiracr28 05-13-2011 06:09 AM

More power=new bandit :)

So a cell dies in my 8 cell 9.6v nimh and i am now modding it to be a 10.8v 5000mah nimh. It's going to be all new power for me. MaxAmps makes a 10.8v battery but the cost is out of this world! But whats new about that. Anyway just thought i would share my next project,although some might say its better to buy a lipo. To be honest i like nimh.

john01374 05-13-2011 06:59 AM

RE: More power=new bandit :)

If you are running a VXL model why not just get a 3S LiPo and be done with it. For the price you're going to pay for a max amp battery you can have a 3S Lipo, a Charger and a balancer and still have change left over.

Don't be surprised if the car isn't much faster on 10.8V NiMh. That pack is going to be heavy..

sloppyG 05-13-2011 07:48 AM

what exactly could you prefer about nimh over lipo?

hpiracr28 05-13-2011 08:12 AM

i dont like bothering with having to sit and watch a lipo and do all the other shi* with them. i wanna plug and walk away and not have to worry about overcharging and burning my house down. everyone told me the same thing when i bought the 8 cell nimh over my 7 cell. "it's gonna be a lot heavier". yea well that thing ripped a hell of a lot more with an 8 cell. a few ounces isnt going to affect it much. i kno it will some, but not enough to disappoint me.

deviltrigger529 05-13-2011 09:31 AM

You do realize you arent supposed to leave ANY battery alone while its charging right? I've had NiMH batteries explode while charging, its not just lipos that are dangerous...

sloppyG 05-13-2011 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

You do realize you arent supposed to leave ANY battery alone while its charging right? I've had NiMH batteries explode while charging, its not just lipos that are dangerous...
exactly, and a mix matched semi-homemade nimh pack is even more likely to explode than a regular nimh pack

mazdaprotege4 05-13-2011 10:27 AM

Get into Life batteries, lighter, good power and pretty cheap from Hobbyking

john01374 05-13-2011 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: hpiracr28

i dont like bothering with having to sit and watch a lipo and do all the other shi* with them. i wanna plug and walk away and not have to worry about overcharging and burning my house down. everyone told me the same thing when i bought the 8 cell nimh over my 7 cell. ''it's gonna be a lot heavier''. yea well that thing ripped a hell of a lot more with an 8 cell. a few ounces isnt going to affect it much. i kno it will some, but not enough to disappoint me.

I'll re-enforce what others are saying. You should never leave any batteries unattended while charging ever. The worse battery explosions I have even seen have been Nimh. LiPo's give to a ton of warning before something goes wrong where a NiMh simply explodes like someone places a M80 on your work bench.

Everyone talks about how dangerous LiPo's are but no one tells you about all the mishaps with their NiMh or the older NiCd. I had a NiCd pack explode in a grasshopper that was powerful enough to rip the body off the chassis. You're better off with LiPo for so many reasons. Make the change. NiMh is a dying technology.

hpiracr28 05-13-2011 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

exactly, and a mix matched semi-homemade nimh pack is even more likely to explode than a regular nimh pack
They aren't mix-matched. They are all the same size and brand and run time rating and volts. AND it will be professionally soldered with good wire. My dad does that. It's hard to get the wife to agree on me buying a new lipo and charger when i'm trying to buy a house. Just trying to work with what i got here. If i have extra good cells, why not replace?

robwiljas 05-13-2011 11:10 AM

Are all the cells the same age and have the same number of cycles on them? If not then it's still a mixmatched pack.

Also as others have said never leave any battery unattended while charging.

ThunderbirdJunkie 05-13-2011 11:37 AM

Subscribed for boom and banishment of RC from the abode.

sloppyG 05-13-2011 11:43 AM

they aren't mix matched, they're all cylindrical :D

BOOM!

guys2nv 05-13-2011 12:54 PM

I think your a pretty cool dude Hpiracr-But I'm gonna have to agree with everyone posting. Lipo's are far superior in every way to nimh and for what a really good nimh pack cost's I'd much rather get some 3s lipo's from hobbypartz or hobbyking. I do agree also that lipo's are no more dangerous then nimh when treated and cared for the right way. After a full pack on lipo the warmest I've felt a pack was like maybe luke warm water, My old nimh's on the other hand I couldn't even grab them after running in the same conditions.

electricrc68 05-13-2011 01:00 PM

hey im not gonna touch a lipo. i like my nimh. i see no reason for lipo when i just drive around the yard. i charge my NIMH in a box in my garage so if it explodes the box goes with it but i dont give a ****. :D

SyCo_VeNoM 05-13-2011 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: guys2nv

I think your a pretty cool dude Hpiracr-But I'm gonna have to agree with everyone posting. Lipo's are far superior in every way to nimh and for what a really good nimh pack cost's I'd much rather get some 3s lipo's from hobbypartz or hobbyking. I do agree also that lipo's are no more dangerous then nimh when treated and cared for the right way. After a full pack on lipo the warmest I've felt a pack was like maybe luke warm water, My old nimh's on the other hand I couldn't even grab them after running in the same conditions.
agree completely the most important part is in bold ;)

guver 05-13-2011 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: hpiracr28

So a cell dies in my 8 cell 9.6v nimh and i am now modding it to be a 10.8v 5000mah nimh. It's going to be all new power for me. MaxAmps makes a 10.8v battery but the cost is out of this world! But whats new about that. Anyway just thought i would share my next project,although some might say its better to buy a lipo. To be honest i like nimh.
What you are proposing if just fine. Best advice I can give is to discharge all packs before repair and then when repair is done give the pack a c/10 charge for 15 hrs.

SyCo_VeNoM 05-13-2011 02:43 PM

mixing batteries are a bad idea
If you do not impedance match the batteries in a pack it will fail (or a cell could explode)

guver 05-13-2011 04:14 PM

None of those cells are matched anyways. Cells in a series get all the resistance added up high IR cells can be paired with low IR cells. The low cell is the weakest link so to speak and is the determination cell for max current/temp.

deviltrigger529 05-13-2011 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

hey im not gonna touch a lipo. i like my nimh. i see no reason for lipo when i just drive around the yard. i charge my NIMH in a box in my garage so if it explodes the box goes with it but i dont give a ****. :D
Oh so you must not like more and consistent run time and way more startup punch... whatever, be happy with your mediocre batteries. All I do is bash and the second I tried a lipo my jaw was on the ground and I was sold, haven't touched a NiMH pack since.

electricrc68 05-13-2011 05:17 PM

well thats you. i like nimh and thats me. i just see no need.

robwiljas 05-13-2011 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

well thats you. i like nimh and thats me. i just see no need.

Have you ever run a LiPo in your car/truck?

electricrc68 05-13-2011 05:59 PM

no and i really don't want to. i don't want that much power.

Link119 05-13-2011 06:34 PM

I am happy with nimh too, because i dont have an esc with a lvc and the external ones are expensive. <div>I run the stock evader ext esc and it has a giant heatsink attatched to it.</div>

Brainanator 05-13-2011 06:40 PM

If you like NiMH stick to it, I won't tell you to change. I will tell you (like everyone else) lipo blows NiXX outta the water. Hobbypartz or Nitroplanes, or w/e site it is sells what they call "darkforce" NiMHs now, they seem to push a brushless revo around well enough for the first 5 minutes....that's as long as the review lasted, haha.

To each his own.

electricrc68 05-13-2011 06:52 PM

i might go with lipo in the future, but right now, i don't really need to. besides i have a bad habit of leaving my batteries unattended when charginghttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngry_smile.gif