RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Need some advice for buying an RC! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10566007-need-some-advice-buying-rc.html)

demon3200 06-09-2011 09:35 PM

Need some advice for buying an RC!

Hello, everyone! Just wanted to ask you all a question!

Recently, I was thinking about getting my first RC. As you can see by my identity, I have absolutely no experience whatsoever. However, I have done a lot of research, but I am officialy stumped. I am looking for something that, first of all, is electric. I want something that is able to run offroad, handle some bashing, but yet is able to pull off some speed runs. I also need something that can run in snow, and water, and heavy conditions. Unfortunately, we don't have much of a track here, which means that racing, while it is not my priority, is something that I could consider. I don't have a ton of cash to spend, so I can't buy something too expensive. Anything is all right, as long as it's electric, and it's quality. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help!<br type="_moz" />

Orion1024 06-10-2011 12:33 AM

RE: Need some advice for buying an RC!

I haven't kept up with what's available these days, but it seems to me you're looking for one RC that can do it all. I've never been able to find one model that can do it all. The problem I see is the desire for both speed runs and running off road (mainly snow). One thing I can tell you is that if you want to run in snow, it's going to have to be 4WD and have decent ground clearance. If it doesn't have both, you'll constantly be getting caught up. It will be interesting to see what people recommend here.

demon3200 06-10-2011 06:23 AM

Hmm... You're right, actually. So far, I haven't seen that many rc's that can do it all. Maybe I should just buy a vehicle for serious bashing. What do you guys think?

Chucksolo69 06-10-2011 06:27 AM

First of all, you don't specify a price range that is comfortable for you. However, I would recommend the brushless Traxxas 4x4 VLX Stampede or the Traxxas Summit. With the correct batteries these two trucks are wickedly fast. The Stampede is available in 2WD as well and in a brushed version. I think the full size Summit is only available with brushed 775 sized motor but the 1/16th model is available with the VLX brushless ESC and motor. Traxxas' 1/16th models can reach 50 MPH when geared correctly and two Traxxas NiMH batteries are run in series. You won't get the ground clearance with them,  although the 1/16th Summit may have enough. All of these vehicles are RTR. I have 5 of the 1/16th Traxxas models and they are all well built and very fun to run. I live in SoCal so I don't really have to worry about snow. All the Traxxas 1/16th models have water proof ESC, radio and servo so running them in wet conditions is OK; don't think they are submersible though. And yes, they are all 4WD. There are other great brands as well. I have run Associated, Losi, and OFNA brands as well and all are great vehicles; it all depends on how much you want or can spend.

Eman77 06-10-2011 06:29 AM

I say first figure out if you want that ground clearance or not, and 2WD vs. 4WD. That'll narrow things down. If you're not sure where you'll run it, something with a bit of clearance is a good idea (as opposed to a buggy, with very little....but excellent handling). I've always been a buggy fan, but they can't handle the terrain variety others can.

Something that would have great clearance and offroading ability is a 4WD monster truck....but those get real pricey, so keeping budget in mind, maybe steer clear for now.

Assuming the above, perhaps a 2WD Stadium Truck, or 2WD or 4WD Short Course (SC) truck is a good idea. Will handle better than a monster truck, and be a cheaper start for you. Many brands to choose from (HPI, Traxxas, Duratrax, Associated, Losi).

demon3200 06-10-2011 06:52 AM

Unfortunately, I only have $450 to spend, although I could go a little bit higher.

dbigfoot111 06-10-2011 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

First of all, you don't specify a price range that is comfortable for you. However, I would recommend the brushless Traxxas 4x4 VLX Stampede or the Traxxas Summit. With the correct batteries these two trucks are wickedly fast. The Stampede is available in 2WD as well and in a brushed version. I think the full size Summit is only available with brushed 775 sized motor but the 1/16th model is available with the VLX brushless ESC and motor. Traxxas' 1/16th models can reach 50 MPH when geared correctly and two Traxxas NiMH batteries are run in series. You won't get the ground clearance with them, although the 1/16th Summit may have enough. All of these vehicles are RTR. I have 5 of the 1/16th Traxxas models and they are all well built and very fun to run. I live in SoCal so I don't really have to worry about snow. All the Traxxas 1/16th models have water proof ESC, radio and servo so running them in wet conditions is OK; don't think they are submersible though. And yes, they are all 4WD. There are other great brands as well. I have run Associated, Losi, and OFNA brands as well and all are great vehicles; it all depends on how much you want or can spend.
how durable is the summit? overe the firestorm flux?

Churron 06-10-2011 07:54 AM

with that price range i would suggest a slash vxl 4x4, 379 on tower and that will give you some extra cash leftover i would pick up a couple lipos from hobbyking

It wont give you crazy ground clearance but it will bash really well and it would give you the option to race in the 4x4 sc class if you wanted

i would also suggest a firestorm flux or a stampede 4x4

idealy though if your bashing hard you want a savage flux, but that is out of your range

Roxon 06-10-2011 09:05 AM

stampede 4x4 vxl, insane fast on 3s, lots of clearance for 1/10, waterproof, in his budget 415 and i got a tower promo code for 50 off 300+ to its 011J7 its from june 5 should work. you will need to buy a $8 part the esc lift kit to run hardcase 3s cus they taller but hey ya still be coming in way under budget enough to get lipos and -maybe- a charger. i have the 2wd version and love it

Freezetron 06-10-2011 09:42 AM

I say a Stampede 4x4 fits your bill just perfect, figuratively and literally

1. Crap loads of hop up parts/mods
2. Cheap, easy and quick to maintain
3. Capable, all around basher thats waterproof *dont' go submerging it though*
4. Easy to find replacement parts at most local hobby shops
6. Adjustable for a variety of driving styles
7. Easy to setup up and tweak.

Slash is a good choice, but its not as capable of a basher as the Stampede is due to smaller tires and lower ground clearance. For a bit less upfront cost and less maintenance, the 2wd Stampede VXL is also a good choice, it just won't handle as well as the 4WD version will.

The Savage Flux's are insane bashers but are alot more money upfront and can cost more to maintain. Firestorm doesn't have as much track record as the Slash or Stampede does, nor does it have the aftermarket support either, or even close to it. Most HPI models are also not waterproof vs Traxxas which almost all of them are. The new firestorm E is waterproof but still suffers from the same drawbacks as I mentioned above.

To kinda see the difference between Slash 4x4s and the Stampede 4x4 in a track scenario, watch my vid below. The stampede is the black truck that looks dorky with the small tires on it. Either way, you won't find HPI's running in the snow outa the box. Again, the Slash will spank Stampedes on a track, but a Stampede will outbash a stock Slash without serious modification so it just depends what your going to be doing more of, there is no "perfect" do it all truck. Although I suppose the Rustler VXL would sorta fall into that category.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pb6TUXwnoI[/youtube]

Freezetron 06-10-2011 09:43 AM

damn double post

sloppyG 06-10-2011 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

For a bit less upfront cost and less maintenance, the 2wd Stampede VXL is also a good choice, it just won't handle as well as the 4WD version will.
disagree strongly

the savings is maybe $70 bucks, and the 2wd version is actually more of a pain to work on since it's such an old chassis

the extra money for the 4wd is well worth it, it's a much better RC

SyCo_VeNoM 06-10-2011 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

For a bit less upfront cost and less maintenance, the 2wd Stampede VXL is also a good choice, it just won't handle as well as the 4WD version will.
disagree strongly

the savings is maybe $70 bucks, and the 2wd version is actually more of a pain to work on since it's such an old chassis

the extra money for the 4wd is well worth it, it's a much better RC
agree with ya
have a slash 4X4(same setup as a pede 4X4), and a 2wd pede. The 2wd pedes transmission IMO is a bigger PITA, and takes longer to take apart, and reassemble than taking out, and reassembling the slash 4X4's 3 diffs.
Just remember the 2wd pede you are paying that much money for a RC that is 14 years old with a BL system slapped in it.
the 4wd pede will be able to do MUCH more than the 2wd

Freezetron 06-10-2011 11:10 AM

Valid points, i've only worked on my friends 2wd brushed Stampede a bit and I didn't find it that annoying. In the end, its what his pocket book can afford.

demon3200 06-10-2011 11:19 AM

Darn. If only I could get a Savage Flux! But what about the Savage 2305? Or maybe even a brushed e-revo? What do you think?

Freezetron 06-10-2011 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: demon3200

Darn. If only I could get a Savage Flux! But what about the Savage 2305? Or maybe even a brushed e-revo? What do you think?

Again, you'll need quality, high output lipos and two of them vs 1 for a Stampede and a good charger, so plan on spending at least an extra $100-150 to even get a Flux running. Don't even bother with the brushed revo, you'll just kick yourself later for not spending the money and not getting the brushless version. On the upside, the brushed revo is waterproof while the brushless is not and both Flux versions are also not waterproof. The revo's are more geared towards racing while the Flux's are the kings of bashing though you can get into a HUGE flame war arguing about that. Either Revo version will give you decent twin Nimh batteries and a SLOOOOOW charger to start with outa the box, the Flux's come with nothing. I found that working on my Revo to a be a royal PITA in comparison to working on my Flux, but thats my experience. It was also the nitro version but just getting to and working on the diffs was a royal assache on the Revo. You could also do the Emaxx brushed version or even the Summit, both wateproof and you can crawl with the Summit

Keep in mind that with higher output trucks like the Revo and Flux, the faster you'll go, the harder you'll crash and the more expensive your repair bills. The revo and Flux will also require more maintenance due to the power output vs a stampede or slash. No different then a corvette vs a dragster. The dragster is gonna need more maintance due to the higher performance/strain on parts

demon3200 06-10-2011 11:45 AM

Yeah... Maybe a brushed e maxx! I wonder: how does that compare to the e revo? And how does the e maxx compare to, say, an electric brushed Savage? Just wanted to know!
<br type="_moz" />

nitroairplane 06-10-2011 11:59 AM

TRAXXAS E-MAXX IS DEFINATLY YOUR BEST OPTION

SyCo_VeNoM 06-10-2011 12:05 PM

Yeah... Maybe a brushed e maxx! I wonder: how does that compare to the e revo? And how does the e maxx compare to, say, an electric brushed Savage? Just wanted to know!
<br type=''_moz'' />
read alot about people snapping the bulkheads in half, and from what I read on it almost every post basically states you need to upgrade a hell of alot to make it semi sturdy
pede 4X4 IMO would be way better for the cash
the savage 2350 you can get away with $45-50 in batteries (one set from hobbyking), and a $50 charger(either the one from hobbypartz.com, or a turnigy accucell 6 with a PC power supply)

Freezetron 06-10-2011 12:07 PM

<br type=''_moz'' />

A Revo will manuver better then an Emaxx and handle high speed alot better. Its also 4 less shocks to maintain. i'm gonna get flamed for this but a Savage will still outbash an Emaxx, Emaxx's tend to break alot when pushed were Savages just keep on going and goni.

demon3200 06-10-2011 12:24 PM

Hmm... Maybe I could just simply go to the Buy/Sell marketplace, and buy a Savage Flux.
Maybe this one?<a href="http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=753554">http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=753554
I</a>f there is anything else I could get, just tell me!

Freezetron 06-10-2011 01:26 PM

E-Savages aren't real popular and that posting has no prior selling/buying history and no pics of the truck so I really question the validity of that ad. E-savages also arn't waterproof

demon3200 06-10-2011 01:26 PM

Could this work?<div>http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...07&amp;click=2</div><div>http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...26&amp;click=2</div><div>http://www.rcplanet.com/Align_New_Li...nkx850143a.htm</div><div>Optional Gearing 31 76

<a href="http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=754302">http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=754302
Maybe this?
<br type="_moz" /></a></div>

SyCo_VeNoM 06-10-2011 01:56 PM

That charger seems kinda dumpy.
For the price of that one lipo you can buy 2 (IMO) better lipos from hobbyking, and still have a cash over.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the rustler throw in $50 more (you would save on batteries) into a slash 4X4.

Orion1024 06-10-2011 02:41 PM

Well, you'd have to select a vehicle first before settling on a battery. But SPC has dropped their prices across the board and has a new [link=http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13]3S 4700mAh 25C pack[/link] for $34. I've only got one run on it, but it performed well in my Rustler. It's a much better deal compared to Venoms prices. As for the charger, you can't go wrong with the [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18066]Accucel 6[/link]. I've got two of them and have had no problems with them since I bought them a few years ago. All you need is a power supply, like a converted PC power supply to run them.