RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   To Stampede or not to Stampede, that is the question. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10613945-stampede-not-stampede-question.html)

Freezetron 07-09-2011 06:00 PM

To Stampede or not to Stampede, that is the question.

Shock! Disbelief! Horror! Stunning!

Yes, those are the words you might be thinking of when you hear about what i've been thinking about for awhile now. As much as I enjoy my Savage Flux, its gotten to the point where charging two batteries, swapping em out after their done and spending 6+ hours charging them is getting a little old. On top of that, my Slash 4x4 has utterly spoiled me in the maintenance dept. Its so easy and quick to tear apart to check things, replace, clean and maintain in comparison to the Flux. No, the Flux isn't hard, but getting to the diffs or center diffs takes more time, parts wear out faster due to heavier and bigger design and its costing me more then I honestly wish to maintain a secondary hobby truck.

Been thinking about going with a Stampede 4x4 for not only the stock waterproofing but also the ease of maintenance and dissassembly like my Slash 4x4 has, only dealing with 1 battery, replacement parts that are cheap and easy to replace, lots of hopups and mods that I can do do it. On top of that, its a smaller and lighter truck, so parts do not wear out as quickly vs the larger and heavier Flux. Been also pondering just running the Stampe with 3s so I get my power and speed need and maybe upgrade to the SCT Mambo Pro from castle for more power later on and throwing on a Slash 4x4 chassis for better handling. I can basically turn it into a SC truck on steroids.

With the RC club and gatherings in my area not looking to good and me having to chase down people and pratically beg them to meet out at the track, I may end up selling the Slash 4x4 and having just one RC truck to do it all with. highly modifiable, cheap, easy to run/work/maintain RC monster truck that I can use year round, sunshine or snow, track side or bashing wise.

Or am I just flat out crazy?

thehuntingterminator 07-09-2011 06:06 PM

RE: To Stampede or not to Stampede, that is the question.

naw man, i've been wanting a 'Pede 4x4 ever since last November when they were released. i say go for it if you have already owned a Slash 4x4 and don't mind the maintenance on it. i mean, afterall, you've already owned a $700 Flux HP, the only thing more expensive would be a Baja, so yeah get the Stampede with some MIP axles and good lipos and it'll be a blast i bet! good luck.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-09-2011 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Freezetron
Please give me affirmation so I can know what I'm doing is the popular thing to do!
Just do whatever you want, jeez, it's not that hard of a decision.

jermpool 07-09-2011 08:21 PM

Yeah just get what feels right. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks as long as you are happy.

NOVAMEGA 07-09-2011 09:20 PM

Wait ..... Aug. 18th is coming and the savage xs with it . I would wait till then and get the savage and take the extra cash and hook up your big savage , slash , or get a nice charger ...... 6+ hours charging batteries is a long time unless your charging 6 batteries

Krazy Chicken 07-09-2011 09:21 PM

6 hours charging them? what rate are you charging them at?

deviltrigger529 07-09-2011 09:36 PM

^ I was thinking the same thing. My 6000 turnigys top off in about 45 minutes @ 1C.

Why bother selling the slash 4x4 just to get a stampede 4x4, especially if you plan on "throwing on a Slash 4x4 chassis for better handling" anyway. Just get some stampede tires and wheels or wheels of your choice, a different body, change shocks around and add the shock guards and you're done. Theres absolutely no reason to sell a slash 4x4 to get a pede 4x4.

Freezetron 07-09-2011 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

I only have once charger that maxes out at 5amps, so it takes over an hour for each battery at 5200mah capacity and because I have six of them = 6+ hours of charging. Yeah, I need a new charger.

Freezetron 07-09-2011 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

^ I was thinking the same thing. My 6000 turnigys top off in about 45 minutes @ 1C.

Why bother selling the slash 4x4 just to get a stampede 4x4, especially if you plan on ''throwing on a Slash 4x4 chassis for better handling'' anyway. Just get some stampede tires and wheels or wheels of your choice, a different body, change shocks around and add the shock guards and you're done. Theres absolutely no reason to sell a slash 4x4 to get a pede 4x4.
Yeah, I was thinking of that also. I can't find what shocks the Stampede comes with though, amain doesn't seem to carry them, the ultras have more travel then the big bores as that must be how the Stampede rides so much higher then the slash besides the tires

cummins driver 07-09-2011 09:51 PM

I can charge two 5200's in 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on how low they are. I have 2 chargers, so just hook them both up and run em. It is nice only having 1 battery per run, but to me the 1/10 scale trucks just dont have that feel that the larger 1/8th trucks do, and rough ground tosses them around where as the bigger stuff stays planted.

sloppyG 07-10-2011 05:10 AM

the new flux XS may be another thing to look at if it's in your sponsors budget

hindupimp2384 07-10-2011 10:24 AM

You know that the Slash 4x4 can convert to the Stampede 4x4 all you do is buy a Stampede 4x4 chassis and tires. then move all the parts from the Slash to the Stampede.  if you need a vid on it let me know, its on youtube.

xerxes 07-10-2011 11:36 AM

iv oftn ponderd selln my savage flux hp & buy a 4wd pede bcuz da savage is a bloody money pit. ethr sell it at a tremendusly earf-shatterin loss, or de-vert it to a 2350. funny thing is my sidewindr sct3800 evader dt is mor durable & just as fast as a hp on 4s. ethr way, id nevr roll anothr hpi.

also gave up on waitn 4 my 4wd blitz.

thehuntingterminator 07-10-2011 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: xerxes

iv oftn ponderd selln my savage flux hp & buy a 4wd pede bcuz da savage is a bloody money pit. ethr sell it at a tremendusly earf-shatterin loss, or de-vert it to a 2350. funny thing is my sidewindr sct3800 evader dt is mor durable & just as fast as a hp on 4s. ethr way, id nevr roll anothr hpi.

also gave up on waitn 4 my 4wd blitz.
lol, thanks to the Mini Trophy...

john01374 07-10-2011 03:19 PM

Having owned Savages in the past I feel your pain. The maintenance on them is a bit much when compared to the modular design of the newer traxxas trucks. I sold both of my savages and have never looked back or missed them. I have yet to buy a 4x4 Pede but I'll get one sooner or later. It's certainly on my list.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-10-2011 03:26 PM

Anybody that thinks it's hard to work on a Savage built in the last 5 years needs their head examined.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-10-2011 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Please give me affirmation so I can know what I'm doing is the popular thing to do!
Just do whatever you want, jeez, it's not that hard of a decision.
agree
Is thinking on your own, and not doing everything popular very hard?
I personally never went with what everyone else did probably why I was never a cool kid when I was younger ;)

NOVAMEGA 07-10-2011 06:07 PM

The pede ain't even in the same league as the savage ..... Workin on a savage is cake work...easy to work on to say the least . To me the pede is nothing but a buggy with mt wheels and tires (old school )..... I can change my diffs out faster on my savage then my slash 4x4 ....... And why did traxxas put the shorter chassis on the pede ? IMO it would be a better all around rc if it came with the longer chassis ..... I can't see why someone who's all ready owned a flux would even consider a pede . The savage is better in every way hands down .

t9dragon 07-11-2011 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

I only have once charger that maxes out at 5amps, so it takes over an hour for each battery at 5200mah capacity and because I have six of them = 6+ hours of charging. Yeah, I need a new charger.
You just need to get another charger then it will take you have the time to charge..

I have 3 chargers and I am now looking at one that does 4 lipo packs at the same time.

Foxy 07-11-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Erm, honestly? No. Sounds like the better investment would be a decent charger [&:]

After that, save money for something that is actually better than the flux... Like a Mugen e-truggy, transplant your Flux internals to it and wonder why you ever played with 'toy monster trucks'.

(Don't jump on me! I love my Savage, but not a patch on a racing truggy, its the truth :))

To be honest, use the time to save for this whenever it comes out... I would if I didn't already have the Mugen. I will be extremely jealous the first time I see one... :(

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...03c559b5602cbc

(this is a prototype, you can be sure the shock towers and other CF parts will be at least twice as thick in the final release)

Freezetron 07-11-2011 01:13 PM

Flux has been sold locally. Just went and ordered a sexy BLUE Stampede 4x4 along with A arms, hubs, blue aluminum shock caps at LHS and some blue shock socks from badhorise. I can't wait, i've got a great theme idea for the truck!

sloppyG 07-11-2011 01:37 PM

what are arm arms?

SyCo_VeNoM 07-11-2011 01:40 PM

I got the feeling we'll be seeing a frostbyte 3 "build" thread in less then a year in the hpi MT forums...

Foxy 07-11-2011 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

what are arm arms?
Ah, that must be them things connected to your hand hands. [&:]

FahrtAutoRC 07-11-2011 03:48 PM

Not just there. Every other RC site as well, and updated pics that look identical to the last pics bi-weekly hehe

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I got the feeling we'll be seeing a frostbyte 3 "build" thread in less then a year in the hpi MT forums...