RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10630013-losi-tlr-22-buggy-pics.html)

BigTb17 07-20-2011 04:08 AM

Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics)

Did a quick search and didn't find anything about this buggy.

I only recently read about this buggy, and what do you know, my local hobby shop just got one in. The guy is going to give me a good deal on it if I want it, and I think I do, but I can't decide.

I really like the idea of the aluminum chassis for a bit lower center of gravity and better stability over rough terrain. I think the idea of the mid motor mounting position is interesting, though I don't know if I'd actually use it or not. I've been thinking about getting a Factory Team B4 for a while now, and I figured this would be a good alternative.

However, I have never had a high end Losi. I had a few lower end Losi vehicles, and while they were ok, they quality and durability didn't exactly wow me. I have heard good things about the higher end Losi stuff, so I figure it would be good, but I just can't make up my mind.

Anybody have any experience with this buggy? Is it worth it? Any known issues worth mentioning?

Edit: Update. I've purchased the buggy. There are posts about the build below as well as pictures.

collector1231 07-20-2011 07:02 AM

RE: Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics)

All i know is, you should get the 22. The B4.1 cars have a terrible motor mesh problem. When you land it on the back, the motor goes forward and causes binding that could kill your motor. It can be fixed with a right type of screws, but i know there will be some more problems with the B4 to come. So, i reccomend the Losi 22.

BigTb17 07-20-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks for the input. I had a similar problem with my T4, but if I remember correctly it was from a nose down landing. Luckily I heard the difference in sound from the tight gear mesh, as well as noticing it didn't coast as long, so I stopped driving and had no ill effects. However, the motor screws were jammed so tight and bound up from being wedged forward that they wouldn't come out without rounding out, so I had to cut them off with a dremel and install new screws. Only happened once from a pretty hard impact, so I never did much about it.

One thing I'm worried about is that the 22 is a very new buggy. Not even just a new re-design of an existing platform, but an entirely new design, so there could very possibly be nagging issues that will come to light with it as well. I guess my biggest concern is that if I'm going to pay $260-$280 for a two wheel drive, 1/10th scale buggy kit that doesn't even come with tires, I want to be pretty darn sure that the quality and overall reliability of the kit will measure up.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-20-2011 07:26 PM

BigTb17, what Losi cars have you had? All of the XXX-platform cars are beyond awesome, chassis-wise. The RTRs obviously do leave something to be desired in the electronics department, but that's to be expected.

ORIGINAL: collector1231

All i know is, you should get the 22. The B4.1 cars have a terrible motor mesh problem. When you land it on the back, the motor goes forward and causes binding that could kill your motor. It can be fixed with a right type of screws, but i know there will be some more problems with the B4 to come. So, i reccomend the Losi 22.
While ThunderbirdJunkie completely agrees that the 22 is the better car, he also believes you're talking out your ass on the B4 part. Have you ever even driven an Associated car? If so, do you know how to loctite motor screws?

The B4 has been around for almost eight years...it's not like they haven't worked the kinks out of it:eek:

BigTb17 07-20-2011 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

BigTb17, what Losi cars have you had? All of the XXX-platform cars are beyond awesome, chassis-wise. The RTRs obviously do leave something to be desired in the electronics department, but that's to be expected.

While ThunderbirdJunkie completely agrees that the 22 is the better car, he also believes you're talking out your ass on the B4 part. Have you ever even driven an Associated car? If so, do you know how to loctite motor screws?

The B4 has been around for almost eight years...it's not like they haven't worked the kinks out of it:eek:
I own a B3 and a T4 and I agree with you TBJ. Even if the gear mesh issue is real, I don't see it being in the league of a "terrible" problem. And after the amount of time the B4-4.1 has been around, I don't know what "more problems to come" would be expected with the B4. The only time my gear mesh screwed up on my T4, I was sure the impact had to have seriously broken something. It was a big hit. I was literally surprised it still drove, but then I heard the whining gears and realized my motor had moved.

Admittedly I've only owned very low end Losi stuff myself (Mini and Micro stuff basically), and my only other first-hand experience has been with a couple other RTR vehicles owned by friends. The electronics of all were mediocre at best which, as you said, isn't surprising or out of the ordinary for RTRs, and the suspension and shocks were dissapointing in some cases. Really, the main concern I've had is with drivetrain stuff. In almost every case the transmissions, etc. were loud, rough and sloppy. Again, I imagine (and from what I've read, this is the case) that the higher end Losi kits are excellent quality. I don't expect the quality of the 22 buggy to be less than satisfactory, but since I don't have any personal experience with a higher end Losi, I just wasn't sure what to expect. I guess I just wanted to be reasured before spending the money, haha. And also was just curious what anyone with first-hand experience with the 22 felt about the buggy.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-20-2011 08:58 PM

ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't bought a 22 yet, but it's in the cards. It'll probably come at the same time as him switching to brushless in 2w buggy[&:]

That being said, the B4/.1 is still a very viable platform for racing. ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't REALLY plan on replacing his until the chassis starts to be showing to be a disadvantage once the TLR 22 driving guys have seriously figured out their setups[&:] And by then, the B5 might be out, so, y'know.

The 22 is a high-quality car now that most of the production bugs have been worked out (crappy diff balls an...well...that's it)

The only high-end Losis ThunderbirdJunkie has owned, though, have been XXX-platform (XXX-SCT, which really isn't "high end" but it has a lot of really expensive parts thrown at it, and an XXX-NT AD2 which is an AWESOME truck)

BigTb17 07-22-2011 04:00 AM

Well, for better or worse I took the plunge. I picked up a TLR 22 from the local shop (the guy gave me a good deal I think). I began the build last night and I decided to build it with the mid-motor setup just for kicks so I can see what it's like.

So far the kit does seem to be very good quality, and it was going together great but hit a snag. One of the transmission bearings in the kit is defective. I think the race is warped because not only is it very loose and gritty, but it also doesn't actually quite fit in any of the places it's supposed to be able to go (there are 6 bearings that size in the transmission, and it doesn't fit in any of the spots).

So the build is halted for now. Probably not a bad thing, because it gave me a reason to quit and get some sleep last night, haha. Also, I don't even have any tires yet, and I'm not decided on a power system, so it's not like it could have been completely ready to go last night anyway. The local hobby shop only had two options for rear tires (neither or which would be my first choice), and they didn't actually have any fronts in stock.

The build will resume probably early next week. I've got stuff going on this weekend, so I won't have a chance to work on the build, but hopefully I'll get a chance to pick up the bearing size I need somewhere local. I can get some pictures of the build when I get back to it, if anybody is interested.

kaiser01 07-22-2011 04:07 AM

b4 mesh issue? thats a load of bs right there.

no such thing. the b4 is a great car.

if the 22 is so great how come it didn't even place @ the worlds?

not too mention that a mid motor'd car didn't even make it into the a main. all the 22's were running rear motor, best placing mid motor was a shuey, won the b main.

the 22 does intrest me and i haven't owned a new losi since the 90's, but i think i'll hold out for the next gen ae car as my b4 is runnign great and i see no need to switch it up.....yet.

collector1231 07-22-2011 04:12 AM

TBJ, i have a B4.1 and the motor screws drive the motor into the spur gear and motor plate. And yes, i locktite all my screws. (Even my wheel nuts)

kaiser01 07-22-2011 04:33 AM

that's never happend to my b4 and i race alot, which means i crash alot. lol
i also never locktite 1/10 motor screws, never have.

if this was an issue every rear motor car i've owned would have suffered.

BigTb17 07-22-2011 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

not too mention that a mid motor'd car didn't even make it into the a main. all the 22's were running rear motor, best placing mid motor was a shuey, won the b main.

the 22 does intrest me and i haven't owned a new losi since the 90's, but i think i'll hold out for the next gen ae car as my b4 is runnign great and i see no need to switch it up.....yet.
I agree that the B4 is a great car. I've almost bought one a couple times.

I think the B4.1 was first, second and third place at the Worlds correct? Saw that the other day. I don't have any allusions that the TLR 22 is some devine gift bestowed upon 2WD buggies. I just wanted a good buggy that handles well. How it finishes at the very top levels of competition isn't likely to make much difference to me. I would keep driving my B3 and enjoying it (it didn't place at the Worlds this year either), but it is in need of a major overhaul (needs tires, a new body, should have the bearings replaced, diff re-built, shocks re-built) and I've been thinking about getting a new buggy for quite a while. Just figured I'd give the Losi a try.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-22-2011 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

The 22 was in third or fourth. That's a good finish, dude. For such a new car that is an AWESOME finish. Considering the AE guys have had 7 or 8 years to get the B4 platform figured out, doing so well with something that hasn't been out long is just awesome.

kaiser01 07-22-2011 09:45 AM

i know the 22 is a great car, my response was directed toward collector.

btw, it was 4th, tebo's rb5 was third. not that it matters, it doesn't. it's just an example that the b4 is still a great car compared the everyone elses "latest and greatest".

trust me, the 22 has been calling my name, i'm pretending not to listen. lol

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-22-2011 09:53 AM

Ooh gotcha.

Yeah, the mesh thing is like...well...we all know it's bunk, so it's kinda pointless to bring it up[&:]

BigTb17 07-22-2011 10:18 AM

Well, work plans changed again, so it looks like I will have time to work on the buggy this weekend.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-22-2011 10:26 AM

Got pics?

BigTb17 07-22-2011 11:22 AM

Got pics?
Not yet, but I will get some tonight or tomorrow when I start working on it again (depending on if I can stop somewhere and pick up a bearing after work tonight).

So far I have the front and rear suspension on the chassis, as well as the servo. I still have to finish assembling the transmission, which is ready to go but for that last bearing. Then I have to build the shocks, paint the body (don't know how I want to paint it yet) and decide what tires and power system I want.

BigTb17 07-22-2011 04:50 PM

Well darn. I bought a couple bearings on the way home from work so I could finish the build. Unfortunately, after only a few more minutes of building I hit another stopping point. The rear toe plate has a recess machined into it for the transmission and it isn't fully machined properly, so I am unable to install the transmission. I didn't notice it until I actually tried to mount the transmission and found it wouldn't fit into place properly.

I've had snags and little issues to work through with other builds, but this one has stopped me cold twice due to defective parts. How disappointing. I guess the build is at a standstill once again until I get the part from Horizon/TLR. I plan to call them and see if they will send me one. I would call tonight, but they closed like five minutes before I found the problem. I could probably modify the part myself and make it work just fine, but I'll wait to see what customer support says.

I guess I will probably still build the shocks and get everything as far along as possible in the meantime so that all I should have to do when I get a replacement is swap the part and drop in the transmission.

Here is a picture of the defective part. Right in the center of the picture notice the recess in the toe plate and look how it goes a bit past the screw hole on the left, but stops almost flush with the screw hole on the right. *sighs*

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1264.jpg

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-22-2011 08:43 PM

That really sucks, man :( ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't heard about any of these issues from anybody local with a 22. They'll get you taken care of, though[8D]

BigTb17 07-23-2011 04:17 AM

That really sucks, man :( ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't heard about any of these issues from anybody local with a 22. They'll get you taken care of, though[8D]
Yeah, stuff (family friendly version of the word) happens. Defects happen, I've heard good things about Horizon customer support, so I expect it to go well. It's just annoying to realize that once again, you won't be able to finish the build and will have to pack up the unfinished chassis and all the screws/parts until another time.

I still don't have a motor/ESC or tires for it anyway. In the meantime (until I get the replacement part or until I decided to modify it myself if it comes to that) I'll get a power system, paint the body and chose some tires. I'm uploading some pictures now and will post them up soon.

BigTb17 07-23-2011 04:21 AM

Here are some pictures from the build. Once I'm able to install the transmission I'll get some more pictures of the completed chassis. Maybe by then I'll have painted the body and gotten tires and will get some ready to run pictures.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1254.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1257.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1258.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1261.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1266.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1267.jpg

BigTb17 07-23-2011 08:45 AM

Just got off the phone with Horizon customer support. They were very helpful and courteous. They are going to ship me a new toe plate as well as a replacement bearing first thing Monday morning.

Now, in the meantime I just have to decide on tires and a power system. I got the body taped off and will hopefully spray it tonight. I'll get more pics once the paint is finished. Don't get too excited, my talent at painting...who am I kidding, I have no talent for painting haha.

BigTb17 07-23-2011 04:47 PM

Just a quick update. Picked up a Spektrum S6070 low profile servo today. I had some credit at the hobby shop, plus a guy there was going to give me something from a trade as well, so I went ahead and picked it up. Not that any of that is very interesting, but there is a point, haha.

I haven't actually mounted the servo yet, but a quick test fit indicates that if I can find somewhere to mount the receiver other than right behind the servo (where the kit suggests) I will be able to fit a standard Li-Po pack with the mid motor transmission setup. Just a heads up for those curious.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-23-2011 06:53 PM

Just an FYI, ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty sure the red washer that you have on the slipper spring goes in the diff.

BigTb17 07-23-2011 07:59 PM

Just an FYI, ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty sure the red washer that you have on the slipper spring goes in the diff.
It doesn't. That red washer has a small recess that captures the slipper spring. The diff and slipper have been set (as well as they can be without tires or a power system ;) ) and tested and are working properly. Both components (diff and slipper) are fairly simple and straightforward to assemble as well.

Either way, if you still have reason to doubt me (and considering I'm just a stranger on the web, that's likely, haha) just search TLR2964 on Horizon Hobby's website.

Good looking out though.