RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Rustler vxl suspension help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10671098-rustler-vxl-suspension-help.html)

jands29 08-14-2011 08:11 PM

Rustler vxl suspension help

Hi all. I bought a used rustler vxl here and got ripped off, had to replace almost every single part except the motor esc. Anyways thread is not to complain.

The front tires never tightened all the way because the pin would just turn when I tightened the wheel on. Is there a way to hold the front axle to get the nut tight?

Two of the hub pins will not come out to take them apart, they must be bent. I cant bang the out, is there a way? Dremmel? I need the bearings from the carriers.

There was what looks like a piece of tape over an opening on the bottom of the transmission. Is that opening supposed to be there and should I tape it or leave it? The opening is against the chassis, not open to the ground.

ThunderbirdJunkie 08-14-2011 08:14 PM

RE: Rustler vxl suspension help

When presented with a problematic axle pin, ThunderbirdJunkie busts out a cheap .050 driver, his bench vice, and a small hammer and tapes it out of there. This generally yields a desireable result of no damage to the axle or bearings or hub carrier.

Take the hub carrier off before attempting this, just FYI.

Are the hexes in decent shape?

jands29 08-14-2011 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of the rebuild just because lol, and a photo of the carrier with pin. This is not the pin (in the photo) that is bent. It's the small hex pin that is bent. Anyways, I cant get pin out of the carrier (anything special holding them in?) and second how do you hold it from spinning when tightening the tire? brute force, and i'm 6'4 220 lbs, doesnt seem to be enough. I assume they need to spin freely with the bearing. This is my first 2 wheel drive.

And I do need to invest in a vice, it been a long time coming.

I can just order new bearings and I wont need to take them apart and can use as spare, but it's the principle of being able to do it lol. The pin is in RPM carrier and Im puttng new stock ones on. Are they a different size bearing anyways? I know with my Tmaxx the RPM came with bigger carriers and bearings than stock.<br type="_moz" />

ThunderbirdJunkie 08-14-2011 08:42 PM

The pin out of the carrier?

Do you mean the AXLE out of the carrier? or the pin that goes through the axle? It should just slide out.

Just use a hammer if you're having trouble getting the axle out of the bearings...the terminology you're using is extremely vague and difficult to understand.

Also, the little flower button on your camera...USE IT. It makes close-up pictures clear. It's called the macro button.

How about instead of showing us two pictures completely unrelated to what your problem is, show us a picture of what you're trying to do. That makes a lot more sense. Brute force doesn't always work, you need to use finesse...like ThunderbirdJunkie told you before. Did you even READ that post?

jands29 08-14-2011 08:52 PM

Your head has gotten WAY to big. I actually respected you until just now. And there it goes. And btw it's an Iphone and doesnt have a little flower icon.

ThunderbirdJunkie 08-14-2011 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jands29

Your head has gotten WAY to big. Don't you DARE talk down to me like your better than me. I actually respected you until just now. And there it goes. And btw it's an Iphone and doesnt have a little flower icon. Cock.
Wow, really? REALLY?

Is this how you respond to people that try to help you?

ThunderbirdJunkie NEVER talked down to you like he was better than you. EVER. He doesn't do that to people, and won't do that to people.

Seriously, dude, get your mind together. The terminology you used was confusing and/or incorrect. ThunderbirdJunkie simply asked for clarification. You decided to take it the wrong way.

jands29 08-15-2011 10:51 AM

"Whoever is patient has great understanding,but one who is quick-tempered displays folly". Proverbs 14:29

I Calledyou on your comment's andyou play the woundedbird, refusing to acknowledge your mistake but rather balme it onanother. Spoken like a true Narcissist. Not talking down to me? Let me break it down for you:

1. me: "Picture of the rebuild just because lol".
you: "How about instead of showing us two pictures completely unrelated to what your problem is, show us a picture of what you're trying to do.": "Brute force doesn't always work, you need to use finesse...like ThunderbirdJunkie told you before. Did you even READ that post?"

I Posted a picture of the build just because. Why not? It's MY thread so if I post a photo it becomes related to the post. The other photo is of the axle, and IF YOU READ MY POST, you wouldsee it was completely related to the post, inthat I was asking if there was a way other than brute force to hold that axle while tightening the wheel to get it snug. I never disputed using finess to take out the axle pin.

2. me: "This is not the pin (in the photo) that is bent. It's the small hex pin that is bent."
you: "The pin out of the carrier? Do you mean the AXLE out of the carrier? the terminology you're using is extremely vague and difficult to understand."

You knew exactly what Iwas talking about and didn't need clarification. A simple response like, "I think you mean the axle" would have been a helpfulcomment, rather than going out of your way to be condesending and respond as above.

3. you: ThunderbirdJunkie NEVER talked down to you like he was better than you. EVER. He doesn't do that to people, and won't do that to people.

you: "Just because ThunderbirdJunkie can. Rollin like a bigshot.THUNDERBIRDJUNKIE RULER OF EVERYTHING"

me: WOW. I don't think it can be any more clear than that lmao. You say youdon't talk down to anybody? Just look at your signature. Time for some humble pie.

ThunderbirdJunkie 08-15-2011 11:04 AM

Way to build a mountain out of a molehill. ThunderbirdJunkie has a dry and warped sense of humor, so he'll humor you and explain the things with which you have issue.

''Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly''. Proverbs 14:29
When you've been making constructive and helpful posts as long as ThunderbirdJunkie has, that patience runs out quicker when people that make idiotic posts are concerned.

I Called you on your comment's and you play the wounded bird, refusing to acknowledge your mistake but rather balme it on another. Spoken like a true Narcissist.
Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. He who is without sin, casting stones, glass houses, etc etc. ThunderbirdJunkie is narcissistic...and? You've obviously got no self-esteem if you feel it necessary to psychologically diagnose him, so we've got both extremes in this thread. He made a genuine effort to help you. You made no effort whatsoever to address this in your second post in this thread.

Not talking down to me? Let me break it down for you:

1. me: ''Picture of the rebuild just because lol''.
you: ''How about instead of showing us two pictures completely unrelated to what your problem is, show us a picture of what you're trying to do.'' : ''Brute force doesn't always work, you need to use finesse...like ThunderbirdJunkie told you before. Did you even READ that post?''

I Posted a picture of the build just because. Why not? It's MY thread so if I post a photo it becomes related to the post. The other photo is of the axle, and IF YOU READ MY POST, you would see it was completely related to the post, in that I was asking if there was a way other than brute force to hold that axle while tightening the wheel to get it snug. I never disputed using finess to take out the axle pin.
ThunderbirdJunkie wasn't referring to the picture of the truck itself. He was referring to the blurry picture of the stub axle in the hub carrier. You kept saying something about the pin in the hub carrier. ThunderbirdJunkie simply asked if you meant the axle, or the pin that goes through the axle.

2. me: ''This is not the pin (in the photo) that is bent. It's the small hex pin that is bent.''
you: ''The pin out of the carrier? Do you mean the AXLE out of the carrier? the terminology you're using is extremely vague and difficult to understand.''
Since you opted not to take a picture of what you were having issues with, ThunderbirdJunkie assumed you didn't know what the heck you were talking about. It's really pretty simple. Just like when he was a mechanic, and a customer would say "my wheel rattles in the front". He'd ask other questions before test-driving the car to isolate the noise they were talking about, since sometimes cars can have multiple rattles.

You knew exactly what I was talking about and didn't need clarification. A simple response like, ''I think you mean the axle'' would have been a helpful comment, rather than going out of your way to be condesending and respond as above.
Again, you can never assume that somebody means something that you don't KNOW that's what they mean. That is why ThunderbirdJunkie asked you what you asked. You also spelled condescending wrong.

3. you: ThunderbirdJunkie NEVER talked down to you like he was better than you. EVER. He doesn't do that to people, and won't do that to people.

you: ''Just because ThunderbirdJunkie can. Rollin like a bigshot. THUNDERBIRDJUNKIE RULER OF EVERYTHING''

me: WOW. I don't think it can be any more clear than that lmao. You say you don't talk down to anybody? Just look at your signature. Time for some humble pie.
ThunderbirdJunkie will, again, go out of his way to explain this, despite the fact that you won't get it.

In the car world, a rap song called "Ice Cream Paint Job" circulated, in which the lyrics went something like "Yeah buddy! Rollin like a bigshot, Chevy tuned up like a NASCAR pit stop". ThunderbirdJunkie found it humorous, and chose to incorporate it into his signature.

HJJFFFAA made that avatar for ThunderbirdJunkie. He is another RCUniverse member.

If you think a jovial personality and a warped sense of humor makes somebody narcissistic, then you picking apart ThunderbirdJunkie's personality flaws when he tries to help you means you've got the opposite problem. You take life far too seriously and don't think too highly of yourself.

jands29 08-15-2011 01:49 PM

"<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">that patience runs out quicker when people that make idiotic posts are concerned."</span><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">
</span>
</div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Enough said. Your doing exactly what you say you don't do, talking down to me. You</font><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: small; "> writing</span><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> "</font><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">How about instead of showing us two pictures completely unrelated to what your problem is, show us a picture of what you're trying to do" was in fact the making of a mountain out of a molehill. Not to mention you correcting a simple spelling mistake from my last post..... another clear example of calling the kettle black. The only reasonable explanation you pointed it out was to show me your better than me lol. Why else would you even point it out??? Do you think if I went through your post's I would not find a spelling mistake?  </span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">
</span></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Threads taking on a life of their own is inevitable, that's what makes them interesting and it's only natural that topics not directly related to a thread will develop, in fact it's unavoidable. I assure you I don't have any issues with self esteem and don't need to defend myself with "I know you are but what am I".</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since there is no need to continue this discussion since it has nothing to do with the original post I suppose we need to agree to disagree. I love the fact that someone with your RC knowledge helps the average person with their problems, I am sure many people respect you as I once did. If one of those people doesn't know the exact terminology or makes a spelling mistake or takes a fuzzy photo ..... does it really matter? </font></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For the record I apologize for calling you a cock. Although it was how I felt at the time, I want to resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass anyone in my post. </font></div><div><span style="font-family: verdana, arial; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); font-size: x-small; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: verdana, arial; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); font-size: x-small; ">
</span></div>

Lars from Norway 08-15-2011 02:19 PM

It's the small hex pin that is bent. Anyways, I cant get pin out of the carrier (anything special holding them in?) and second how do you hold it from spinning when tightening the tire?

When doing/undoing the wheelnut you just grab the wheel to stop the wheel axle from spinning. The hex are connected to the axle via the cross pin, hence grabbing the wheel is the same as grabbing the axle to stop it from spinning. Or something like that:) The stock bearing size on the latter Rustlers are 5x11 mm, the older ones had 5x8 mm. So the bearings on your car will might fit the new carriers depending on how old it is. If this fail, just buy new ones:)

BigTb17 08-15-2011 03:07 PM

I'm still a bit confused (confusion seems rampant in this thread, haha).

There is a small roll pin that goes through the axle, holding the hex in place on the axle. This must be removed before the axle can be removed from the bearings/bearing carrier. The confusion came from whether you were having trouble removing the small roll pin from the axle, or having trouble removing the axle itself from the bearing carrier.

TBJ's first post was on removing the roll pin from the axle. When you posted again, with pictures he questioned what you were trying to do. Assuming you are trying to remove the axle itself from the bearing carrier, I'll talk about that. If the axle gets bent, or the hole for the roll pin gets elongated from excess stress, the axle may no longer fit through the bearings properly since the fit is usually a very close tolerance. Does the axle move back and forth in the bearings at all, or is it stuck completely?

On a side note, I notice that TBJ's mannerisms often rub people the wrong way, and people often lash out at how he asks a question. But in most of those cases people spend 10x the time it would have taken to simply answer the question he asked, instead trying to make a case against him. And if the question had simply been answered I have little doubt he would have simply continued helping with the issue at hand. Just something I've noticed a lot of lately. In general people need to lighten up, laugh about things more, and try to ignore the things that get a rise out of them.

An annoyance ignored will be removed by the annoyer much more quickly than one that clearly gets a reaction.

jands29 08-15-2011 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

It's the small hex pin that is bent. Anyways, I cant get pin out of the carrier (anything special holding them in?) and second how do you hold it from spinning when tightening the tire?

First; i come in peace! Second; when doing/undoing the wheelnut you just grab the wheel to stop the wheel axle from spinning. The hex are connected to the axle via the cross pin, hence grabbing the wheel is the same as grabbing the axle to stop it from spinning. Or something like that:) The stock bearing size on the latter Rustlers are 5x11 mm, the older ones had 5x8 mm. So the bearings on your car will might fit the new carriers depending on how old it is. If this fail, just buy new ones:)
Thank you Lars, and that makes so much sense I don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place!!
<br type="_moz" />

Lars from Norway 08-16-2011 02:58 PM

Nice to be able to help you out on this:) Sometimes the brain stand in the way of our thinking, i have been there myself:)