RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   is there anything better then the mamba monster (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10710104-there-anything-better-then-mamba-monster.html)

pyromatic177 09-10-2011 08:54 AM

is there anything better then the mamba monster

Hello all, i was just wondering if theres a bl setup thats batter then the mamba monster for the E-revo.cause the mamba monster looks amazing, just wondering if theres something better that you can get.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Thanks</p>

Brainanator 09-10-2011 09:34 AM

RE: is there anything better then the mamba monster

There is the Tekin RX8, which is very popular. Both of them experience failures occasionally, both of them are very powerfull. The Tekin is sensored, so that could influence your decision.

pyromatic177 09-10-2011 09:50 AM

what does sensored mean again, i cant remember

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-10-2011 10:31 AM

Sensored motors have hall sensors to detect the position of the rotor. It makes for smoother throttle application.

The RX8/2250kv combo would be better, ITBJHO, than the MMM, but that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with the MMM.

redfisher1974 09-10-2011 10:53 AM

Since when is your opinion humble TBJ? :D

pyromatic177 09-10-2011 10:58 AM

ok cool. but there both expensive....ahhhh....[:o]

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-10-2011 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Since when is your opinion humble TBJ? :D
:D

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

ok cool. but there both expensive....ahhhh....[:o]
You have a $500 truck that weighs like 13 pounds...i'ts not gonna be cheap to do stuff with.

pyromatic177 09-10-2011 11:04 AM

yeah i know...i asked this question because i really want to build an E-revo as a project car. cause i think the E-revo is awesome. and i wanted to know what setup that i should get. And you, TBJ helped alot...THANKS
;)

Brainanator 09-10-2011 12:31 PM

the motor is the most expensive part these days with the increase in price of neodymium. Scour the RC for sale sites to find a deal on used motors. I picked up 3 Neu 1515 motors for $150, which is a great deal. Then you can pick up an ESC and have a set.

savagecommander 09-10-2011 01:21 PM

3 15's for $150? i dont want to know what else was in that trade, thats a steal.

Foxy 09-10-2011 02:36 PM

My MMM (mamba monster) and 2200kv combo on 6s, strains the limits of my Mugen race truck, one of the strongest trucks in existence, and makes every single head at the bash spot turn in awe. You want to know if there is something better? No, there isn't. Nor should there be. Already this setup is twisting CVDs, putting trememndous strain on the drivetrain, to add more power would disintegrate expensive parts of the truck.

The Tekin RX8 is comparable, arguably 'better', but is designed for racing (hence the sensored system), it doesn't offer any additional power handling advantage though. Go with whichever you can get the cheapest, they are both at the pinnacle of the electric hobby, and both will destroy your RC if used on 6s min fairly short order. ;)

pyromatic177 09-10-2011 03:18 PM

well thats all great info on them, i will see what i can get the cheapest ;)
THANKS!!!

Brainanator 09-10-2011 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

3 15's for $150? i dont want to know what else was in that trade, thats a steal.
That was straight up. I sent the guy $150, he shipped me 3 neu motors. All of them work well with little signs of use! He was going through a hard time...and didn't need the motors anymore, let them go pretty cheap! (I just wanted to buy tires from him, then he threw that deal out and I couldn't say no...ahahaha.)

t9dragon 09-10-2011 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

My MMM (mamba monster) and 2200kv combo on 6s, strains the limits of my Mugen race truck, one of the strongest trucks in existence, and makes every single head at the bash spot turn in awe. You want to know if there is something better? No, there isn't. Nor should there be. Already this setup is twisting CVDs, putting trememndous strain on the drivetrain, to add more power would disintegrate expensive parts of the truck.

The Tekin RX8 is comparable, arguably 'better', but is designed for racing (hence the sensored system), it doesn't offer any additional power handling advantage though. Go with whichever you can get the cheapest, they are both at the pinnacle of the electric hobby, and both will destroy your RC if used on 6s min fairly short order. ;)
I agree with you about the MMM2200 setup. I have it in my Savage Flux and on 6s at half throttle it is hard to keep the front wheels on the ground...

Redharris 09-10-2011 07:43 PM

The Tekin is a Great system,,,,,,but for Bashing in a Revo,,,,,I would go with the Mamba Max for the simple reason that there is no sensor cable to get snagged on a bush or Ripped out when you endo.....

t9dragon 09-10-2011 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Redharris

The Tekin is a Great system,,,,,,but for Bashing in a Revo,,,,,I would go with the Mamba Max for the simple reason that there is no sensor cable to get snagged on a bush or Ripped out when you endo.....
I wouldn't run a Mamba Max in a Revo. If he ran a sensored motor how would the get snagged on a bush or ripped out when he endo's if he has a body on the Revo?

Maj_Overdrive 09-11-2011 04:50 PM

If you think the 1515 2200kv is good, you should try a 1520 1600kv (or 1717) on 6s. Just add a few teeth to the pinion to gear it for the same top speed you have now. I've never had anything break running these in my 8T, but the rear wing hates me!

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-11-2011 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Redharris

I wouldn't run a Mamba Max in a Revo. If he ran a sensored motor how would the get snagged on a bush or ripped out when he endo's if he has a body on the Revo?
x2, even with the sensor wire, just like all other wires, it should be secured and run short as possible to prevent anything like that from happening.

Pulling a sensor wire doesn't end your day anyway since the Tekin motor AND speedo can run sensorless. It's far more likely to yank a Castle bullet out of an MMM than it is to get to a sensor wire on an RX8 setup.

momogt 09-11-2011 09:40 PM

so a sensored motor can be ran as a sensorless motor and be ok

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-11-2011 09:48 PM

Most can. Some, like Novaks, can't.

savagecommander 09-12-2011 04:37 AM

i only ran into problems running the novaks without the sensor wire on the vxl's...

Foxy 09-12-2011 05:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

If you think the 1515 2200kv is good, you should try a 1520 1600kv (or 1717) on 6s. Just add a few teeth to the pinion to gear it for the same top speed you have now. I've never had anything break running these in my 8T, but the rear wing hates me!
Does the 1717 have alonger can?

Maj_Overdrive 09-13-2011 05:10 PM

The 1717 and 1520 both have longer cans, the 1717 is bigger in diameter too, specs are on castles site. I just mentioned them cause if you think there isn't and shouldn't be anything better than the 1515-1y (2200kv), well there is! They are discontinued by castle and they don't have any plans for rebuild kits at the moment. But there is new stock out there availible for reasonable prices if you look around.

ElectricGuy007 09-13-2011 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Sensored motors have hall sensors to detect the position of the rotor. It makes for smoother throttle application.

The RX8/2250kv combo would be better, ITBJHO, than the MMM, but that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with the MMM.
Dont forget about the Novak Havok Pro 550 ballistic combo either.
My freind use to have it in his OFNA Jammin 4wD SCT and it's worlds better than the mamba.
Tons of power and smooth as well. I would say the RX8 is a really good speed control.
But I've only seen them in 8th scale electric. They dominate in it.

savagecommander 09-13-2011 06:36 PM

the 1717 is 46x85 and it should be good for about 1500 watts cont-