RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   5 Amps through car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/1087015-5-amps-through-car.html)

Bounty Hunta 08-25-2003 08:15 AM

5 Amps through car

Hey everyone
im currently putting 5 A through my mechanical speed controller.
but aparently the solder on the bottom cant quite handle 5 amps and melts and stops the motor i currently hav a computer fan on it drawing minimal current and voltage but its not cool enough has anyone got a water cooling system or a good air cooling system? and what amps do u all run at?

sandal 08-25-2003 01:38 PM

5 Amps through car

...what type of car and motor are you using?

5A isn't much. A standard Tamiya/Traxxas/Kyosho or similar mechanical speed controller should handle it without problems. My first thoughts are that there is something wrong with your speed controller or motor.

SpoonAvenger 08-26-2003 01:38 AM

5 Amps through car

The average motor runs at over 20A. So I dont get why you'd be having problems with only 5A.

Bounty Hunta 08-26-2003 02:55 AM

stock

I run a stock motor but the solder keeps melting on the motor wire. so should i just get a solder thats more tolerable to high tempretures (i cant think of the word at the moment)

oh yea and im a semi newbie ive only been racing a tamiya dirt thrasher for like 3 years so i dont have really expensive parts or cars or the funds to do so.

how many amps do you guys put your cars through

cheers

drf 08-26-2003 12:37 PM

5 Amps through car

I have a 14 double corrally motor. I tried to break it in using a laboratory power supply that gives a maximum of 4A. The motor just starts to rotate at 4 Amps @10Volts so you get a rough idea. The motor I have will draw a LOT more than the stock though.

Normal solder has a melting point of about 180 degrees celcius
High temp melting solder goes up to 300 degrees celcius but the solder it self is quite expensive (about £15) and you need a high temp soldering iron which will be at roughly £20.the price to get a electronic speed controller for stock motor is at this price range,a bit cheaper sometimes.
For example the mtroniks eco27 costs £20 only.
Convert the money to your currency to get and idea and if you need more help, we are here!

(for money conversions: www.xe.com and then click on currency converter)

Bounty Hunta 08-27-2003 04:28 AM

5 Amps through car

how many volts will a stock motor take? i do 7.2?

drf 08-27-2003 05:00 PM

5 Amps through car

The standard is 7.2 (6 cells) so eveything is designed around that. You can push it more by adding a extra cell or even two but the motor will wear much faster.
But as most motors (except the ones for planes of drag racing) everything is supposed to worl to 7.2 volts.
The reason you can get away with more in motor is that a motor wont be destoyed instantly by push it above it limit make it wear fast.