RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   How to fully discharge Lipo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11192166-how-fully-discharge-lipo.html)

samguan 08-13-2012 03:16 PM

How to fully discharge Lipo

So I have two bad packs that I would like to throw away. I have been discharging them with a 12V headlight and I got the voltage to 0.1V. But then after I unplugged 12V bulb, the voltage on the battery starts to increase slowly again.

I did plug in the 12V overnight and still does the same.

guver 08-13-2012 03:25 PM

RE: How to fully discharge Lipo

They're already ready to pitch. Too late to do any of the checks. ;)

geo950 08-13-2012 03:38 PM

I BELIEVE this is correct, but I'm not positive:
<div>
</div><div>LiPo's voltage doesn't drop as it gets closer to dying, I believe it is steady, then dead. You may want to try to just keep them plugged in until it says 0v.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Please correct me if I'm wrong.</div>

FahrtAutoRC 08-13-2012 05:56 PM

I have a 4s pack with a dead cell in it that I have been debating on putting at a dead short from safe range, what better way to do it, right? ;)

phmaximus 08-13-2012 07:15 PM

I smashed a 3s with a wood saw, well worth it, no fire just heaps of smoke.

But the best way it to soak them in a bucket of salty water for a week... Well that's the boring way

phmaximus 08-13-2012 07:16 PM

Hey I'll get a vid up soon ive got a 2s 5000mah that won't hold volts under load any more. Might chop that too lol

FahrtAutoRC 08-13-2012 07:32 PM

Sweet lol

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hey I'll get a vid up soon ive got a 2s 5000mah that won't hold volts under load any more. Might chop that too lol

Foxy 08-14-2012 02:09 AM

Yep, drop them in a bucket of saltwater for a week then chuck them in the trash. lipo is pretty much biodegradable. As nasty as lithium is, it does decompose eventually in an oxygen rich environment.

Eman77 08-14-2012 06:35 AM

An alternate option for some of us is to take it to a Radio Shack, they will take care of it. That's what I did with a 4s pack I had - didn't have to discharge or anything, they just take it off your hands and take care of it. Quite easy.

Jeckler 08-15-2012 10:20 AM

I discharge to 0 overnight, then dead short the balance connector. Then either chuck it, or drop it off at Home Depot or Lowes for recycling.