RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Associated SC10B just outta the box (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11417914-associated-sc10b-just-outta-box.html)

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 12:50 AM

Associated SC10B just outta the box

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just getting back in the hobby, and this is how I'm starting out. ( battery not included )

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 01:09 AM

RE: Associated SC10B just outta the box

1 Attachment(s)

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Foxy 02-21-2013 02:05 AM

Nice looking car, congrats. :)

crazy nick 02-21-2013 02:36 AM

Very, very nice! Enjoy! :D

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not all roses though. This thing is a little outta whack. Is this common for RTRs? Associated RTRs?
I didn't get a kit, but it looks like I've got a little work to do before I run this bad boy.

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took it apart and put it together again, but it's still not perfect.

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 04:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Get a load of this. The scary thing is that I don't see more exposed threads on the right turnbuckles; I actually see fewer. I'm gonna pull them off and measure.

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Get a load of this. The scary thing is that I don't see more exposed threads on the right turnbuckles; I actually see fewer. I'm gonna pull them off and measure.
I found the problem. The right camber turnbuckle, part # 7253 is missing, and in its place is part #7101, a slightly longer turnbuckle. I tried just cranking it all the way, but it was still a few mm to long.

The left camber turnbuckle is the correct part, #7253. I checked the two rear turnbuckles and they are good to go.

<br type="_moz" />

t-max97 02-21-2013 06:56 AM

Oh wow, my sc10 was assembled perfectly.

EXT2Rob 02-21-2013 08:16 AM

Hey, at least ya figgerd it out.  Tsk tsk, AE.  Sweet ride tho!! You're gonna enjoy it immensely, I'm sure.

phmaximus 02-21-2013 02:26 PM

dammm good spot....

Salinas Hawk 02-21-2013 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. If anyone out there has an SC10B, I'd love to see it and read about your set up. Somebody wrote about hopping up as things break or annoy you, and that's what I plan to do. It looks solid as is, and I'm sure it'll be fast enough for me... for now... mwuuh-hahahaaaaa.

Question: Wouldn't the best speed upgrade for this car just be a battery upgrade?

I remember that for more speed you bought a modified motor, but used the same battery and got like 4 min run times. Those days are over, aren't they?

Btw, I ordered a 2S 30C battery, but I got a 2S 25C with a red sticker on it. What's the deal?!<br type="_moz" />

Foxy 02-22-2013 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Thanks guys. If anyone out there has an SC10B, I'd love to see it and read about your set up. Somebody wrote about hopping up as things break or annoy you, and that's what I plan to do. It looks solid as is, and I'm sure it'll be fast enough for me... for now... mwuuh-hahahaaaaa.

Question: Wouldn't the best speed upgrade for this car just be a battery upgrade?

I remember that for more speed you bought a modified motor, but used the same battery and got like 4 min run times. Those days are over, aren't they?

Btw, I ordered a 2S 30C battery, but I got a 2S 25C with a red sticker on it. What's the deal?!<br type=''_moz'' />
A battery upgrade (in terms of cells i.e 3S instead of 2S) IF the electronics can handle 3S, will give you what you would expect, 50% more speed and power. Duration and C rating don't play a major role in speed, they are for longer runtimes and better current delivery respectively. Yes, the days of 5 min runs are over, that 4000mAh battery should give you at least 20 minutes, perhaps more.

The best speed upgrade is simply increasing the size of the pinion gear, but then you'll need to keep an eye on motor heat to make sure you haven't gone too far. Never let the motor get over 190*F.

Do not accept the 25C in place of the 30C you ordered. Hopefully it was just a mistake. 30C batteries will provide slightly more current delivery and have a slightly longer usable life than 25C.

Salinas Hawk 02-24-2013 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Foxy
A battery upgrade (in terms of cells i.e 3S instead of 2S) IF the electronics can handle 3S, will give you what you would expect, 50% more speed and power. Duration and C rating don't play a major role in speed, they are for longer runtimes and better current delivery respectively. Yes, the days of 5 min runs are over, that 4000mAh battery should give you at least 20 minutes, perhaps more.

The best speed upgrade is simply increasing the size of the pinion gear, but then you'll need to keep an eye on motor heat to make sure you haven't gone too far. Never let the motor get over 190*F.

Do not accept the 25C in place of the 30C you ordered. Hopefully it was just a mistake. 30C batteries will provide slightly more current delivery and have a slightly longer usable life than 25C.

Thanks Foxy. I need to learn more about gear ratios.

About the battery, I told the guy at thehobby shop I got a 25C instead of a 30C 2S Lipo (see above).
The hobby shopguy said that he did me a favor because 30Cs would put my ESC at risk.

I politely told him that he was wrong, and he started going on about being in the business since 2004 and so on.

This guy must be on crack, right?

Oh and he's gonna send me the turnbuckle, but he needs more pics... uhhh,,, and its gonna take two weeks.
I'm just gonna order one from somewhere else, and keep the one he sends as a spare.

bobbyknuckles 02-27-2013 09:16 AM

Nice. i have the blue bodied one to that . so far no issues love the way it handles.

Salinas Hawk 03-14-2013 08:50 AM

Yeah man! It handles great. And I never imagined I would say this about an electric car, but... It's fast enough out of the box.
This thing really darts around on an Ace Gen 2S.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif What's gonna happen when I try 3S? Seriously, I'm asking.
It's not a rhetorical question.
<br type="_moz" />

Salinas Hawk 03-31-2013 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="text-align: left; ">Although I bashed regularly for years in the late 80s, I'm a rookie driver, so take the following for what it's worth from the perspective of someone whose last bash session was 20 years ago with an RC10.

</div><div style="text-align: left; ">I was pretty impressed with the way the SC10B darted around on asphalt; although, it was pretty easy to get it to traction flip on asphalt with a 2S lipo.</div>
My <u>second</u> run was on slightly damp, but pretty solid, brown dead short grass. The terrain was a little slopey, but still flat enough for school lot football. I was able to kick up a little mud, and never bogged down by the grass.

Pros: It was beautiful to see the suspension in action. The car seemed to just glide over bumps and what not. The steering seemed pretty responsive and I always felt in control, even with the stock servo. There was about an 8-10 inch trench dug out around some grass seed. I hit it perpendicularly at full speed, and the car just cruised over it like there was a mini ghost bridge. Speed wise, the car is fast, but about halfway through my second run at this large field, i started to feel the need for more speed. I think 3s is the only upgrade I'll need for a while, or maybe at all. I probably won't upgrade unless I cook this system.

Cons: Traction was good, and I had to be careful, slow down, on the turns or else I would flip. I took several long walks that day; perhaps its a matter of driving skill. Testing the limits, I often got the car on two wheels like the dang Dukes of Hazard. Also, I gunned it and immediately went into some tight circles, about a 5 yard radius around me. It stayed on.all four wheels most of the time, but The inboard rear tire kept lifting up and the differential really got a workout. At times the inboard tire got airborne and spun at full speed drastically reducing speed. I understand that's what a differential, but it didn't look good. It felt like the suspension was way to soft, or maybe it needed maybe it needs anti sway bars. Dunno?

A

It was beautiful to see the<br type="_moz" />

Salinas Hawk 03-31-2013 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm typing on an iPad, and couldn't properly finish or edit the post above.

anyhow... Durability... Well I could be talking outta turn after only two runs, but...
the tires are already coming unglued. See the pics above. One pic is the left rear and the other is the right rear. I'm chalking it up to RTR assembly clowns.

remember that 8-10 inch trench... Well I hit it at about a 45 degree angle at full speed just to see what would happen and... See pic below.

the camber turnbuckle bent and the steering turnbuckle just came undone. Kind of mysterious.

the steering turnbuckle screw's threads look fine. They aren't black, a little silver now, but not stripped at all. It screwed right back in to the nut. Seems like it just loosened up. Maybe the impact just pulled the screw outta the thread or two that hadn't come loose yet. As for the bent turnbuckle, well it happens. Kind of an odd coincidence though.

Could an extremely loose camber turnbuckle somehow make the steering turnbuckle more vulnerable to a bend?

Note: the turnbuckle length problem mentioned at the beginning of this thread was properly corrected before ever driving the car.

Salinas Hawk 04-02-2013 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my new upgrade for the SC10B. I thought some people might like to see a 2S and a 3S lipo side by side.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

This thing does wheelies, outta the box, on hard, dead grass on 3S.

I was using the speculated brushless system upgrade for the RC10B to result in an associated rtr brushless system in my tool box, which justified a purchase of a rerelease, which would be a blast from the past, but now, I dunno. Hahahaaaaa.
I know I'm not the only one. Who understands this logic? Clever people? Hahahaaaaa!
<br type="_moz" />

Salinas Hawk 04-02-2013 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1. Should I trim the chassis, so my battery wires don't crimp, or just jam'em in there and not worry about it?

im thinking the heavy battery should be positioned forward, closer to the steering servo. I think the rear end is saggin a bit, but dunno.

2. I have a ride height tool on order. What should I be aiming for ride height-wise, and how do I get there?

3. Why did my <u>race spec RTR</u> come with the rear shocks cranked down so far with spacers?
In the pic, it looks like my cat, Bao is standing on the chassis, but she's not... Just checking out all the interesting smells.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif<br type="_moz" />