RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   battery choice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11481002-battery-choice.html)

ratman70 04-16-2013 06:37 PM

battery choice

hi folks
im new to the forum and new to electric cars and buggies,i have had nitro b4 but gave up when my three little boys came along now the are older getting back into the rc world
i am looking at buying some extra batteries for my GV 1.10 cagex i ave just bought do i need to run 7,4 or would 11.1 be better
any help at the moment would be great thankslooking forward to reading some more posts and learning heaps

regards ricky

ProfitOfDoom 04-16-2013 07:41 PM

RE: battery choice

Im not sure what RC that is,,but if your looking for a lipo 7.4 "that would be a 2s" I run Gens Ace packs,there pretty cheap and they worked well for me. Im not sure how shipping will work for you but check out HobbyPartz.com and HobbyKing.com gens ace are at hobbypartz,and hobbyking look for turnigy nano tech packs there also cheap and got great reviews "I havent used them personally" as far as the 11.1 you will have to read to make sure your electronics can handle that.

ratman70 04-16-2013 08:04 PM

thanks for that i will look into them and thans for the advice

EXT2Rob 04-23-2013 09:26 AM

Also keep in mind that you will have to install new power connectors, unless your RC has 5mm Bullet connectors. That's what most of the Gens Ace packs come with, unless they are Direct Connects.

Also, if your RC has the old style "Tamiya" Molex connector, ****-can it immediately and replace it with anything else.

FahrtAutoRC 04-23-2013 12:34 PM

Yea, can you check that name again or post a pic? That RC doesn't even come up in Google, and I've never heard of it! Knowing the model would be a great help in allowing us to find you a good battery

ratman70 04-23-2013 02:07 PM

it comes under   Great Vigour models but the 1/10 doesnt even show on there web site  the 1/8 does but i have found out that the 1/10 is the new boy on the block will try and post photo later thanks guys<div>
</div>

Jeepy2013 04-28-2013 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ProfitOfDoom

Im not sure what RC that is,,but if your looking for a lipo 7.4 "that would be a 2s" I run Gens Ace packs,there pretty cheap and they worked well for me. Im not sure how shipping will work for you but check out HobbyPartz.com and HobbyKing.com gens ace are at hobbypartz,and hobbyking look for turnigy nano tech packs there also cheap and got great reviews "I havent used them personally" as far as the 11.1 you will have to read to make sure your electronics can handle that.
I run Gens Ace as well, the only problem is that most of all the Lipos show out of stock or backorder on both sites for some reason....
<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 04-28-2013 06:10 AM

ive been running skylipo packs for awhile now. also availible on hobbypartz. I run soft and hardcased 2s and 3s 5000mah packs. Only had one pack out of 7 fail...and it was after many months of use. Not complaining, since I can buy 4 of these packs for the price of a big name brand lipo. I use these in brushless 1/10 and 1/8 models. they dont even get warm when in use.
It wasnt that many years ago I paid $50 for a "race" quality nimh pack. that pack got very hot and still didnt give the kinda runtimes my $25 skylipo packs give me!

Jeepy2013 04-28-2013 06:34 AM

I used 4 Gens Ace 2s,5000mah, 50c packs all last summer racing 2wd SCT Mod and I had extremely good luck with them, no failures of any kind, I always placed in the top 3 in the A-Mains too, so I was fiarly competetive with the "Name Brand Snobs" I was also the only Slash running in the class, although my truck had a lot of mods.

Gens Ace is GOOD TO GO!

Like I said above though....they are out of stock on just about everyhting (which sucks because I want to get some of the 5300mah 60c packs)<br type="_moz" />

EXT2Rob 04-28-2013 07:43 AM

Yeah, I'm finding that it's worth the little extra money to buy packs with higher C-ratings.  The higher the C-rating, the cooler the battery runs, therefore, the longer it will last. AND you get better performance cuz the voltage doesn't sag as much under load effectively giving you a higher top-end.

FuelCoupe 04-28-2013 12:17 PM

<div>Cage X is a great Vigor / Model Engines brand. Note to the OP, try this site for GV / Model Engines.http://www.modelengines.com.au</div><div>
Link to the car in question.
</div><div><a href="http://www.modelengines.com.au/retail_catalogue_27/GV-CAGEX_item.html?ref_cat_id=DVHA">http://www.modelengines.com.au/retai...ef_cat_id=DVHA
<br type="_moz" /></a></div>

ratman70 04-29-2013 10:41 PM

thanks so much guys will check these out the worst part over here s the freight

The_Shark 04-30-2013 07:39 AM

ONYX packs are really good and cheap and you get some sort of warranty same goes for dynamite raction.

don't get generic lipo's they may come from the same warehouse but that doesn't mean they are the same quality.

Jeepy2013 04-30-2013 09:20 AM

Onyx and Dynamite ain't exactly "premium" name brand batteries.....

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ONYX packs are really good and cheap and you get some sort of warranty same goes for dynamite raction.

don't get generic lipo's they may come from the same warehouse but that doesn't mean they are the same quality.

SyCo_VeNoM 04-30-2013 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeepy2013

Onyx and Dynamite ain't exactly ''premium'' name brand batteries.....

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

and to claim that warranty the OP probably would spend more shipping the pack for the warranty then buying another pack as they are in the land down under ;)