RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Entry-level Kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11642263-entry-level-kit.html)

MongoPete 10-13-2017 03:11 AM

Entry-level Kit

Hello RC lovers,

My son would like to ask Santa for an RC kit that he could build himself (with as little help from Dad as possible).

The problem I'm having is that the options for unassembled entry-level kits seem to be extremely limited. It seems I'll have to get him an inferior vehicle, just because he wants to build it himself.

For example, the current favourite is the ECX Amp MT Build To Drive (BTD) kit. Compared to most of the RTR trucks out there by Traxxas, Arrma and ECX, the 2WD Amp is just not as nice, it seems. Especially since it's 2WD (he already has a 2WD Slash).

He has also mentioned that he likes the metallic edition Midnight Pumpkin Tamiya kit, but again, this is an outdated 2WD truck that is not going to perform like, for example, a Stampede or a Granite.

There just doesn't seem to be a decent 4x4 entry-level kit out there. I've watched videos on the Tamiya Super Clodbuster. It looks great, but the performance seems to leave a lot to be desired.

I'd love to hear from experienced RC guys out there on what you would do. Would you get a better-performing RTR, like a 4x4 Stampede? Or, would you go with the Amp MT and let him learn how to build a 2WD truck that will likely get caught up on grass higher then 2 inches tall?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

-Mongol Pete

RustyUs 10-13-2017 04:10 PM

If 4wd is a must, then have a look at the few options in the short course truck part of the hobby. 1/8 scale buggies are pretty much tanks with wheels. I know I couldn't be without one.

Tamiya has kit options as you are aware of. I think they are cool, and all, but a part of me thinks they are just okay RCs. Talking about Tamiya, then we have to talk about Kyosho as well. The 4wd re-releases....sweet! Javelin anyone?

I really don't know what your plans are for the RC platform you are searching for. Terrain? Speed?

I will throw this out there...the Axial Yeti was the best build experience for me. Lots of wrenching. I don't know the attention span of your son, or how much hands on help will be given. If the RC has to have lots of speed, then I'd throw out the Yeti idea. It's best left to do what it was designed for...rock racing.

RedRenegade 10-22-2017 06:12 AM

Tamiya is doing something right because they are selling so well... although tamiya models seem little outdated to me. But hey those are fun to put together as son and father :)

Cheers for your son! :D