RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Build help/question/tip needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11676597-build-help-question-tip-needed.html)

bline22 03-22-2020 06:07 AM

Build help/question/tip needed

Seems I can't upload an image until i have 10 posts. Anyone have any tips how to get the image uploaded or be able to place a link here to help explain what I am talking about.

I did place a imgur link in my biography to what i am referring. Let me know please if that doesn't work. Sorry for the pain of this and really appreciate the help

Hello,
My son and I are putting together a car (PR Racing) and having issues. I am attaching an image below. I am to twist the black plastic things on to either side of the threaded metal piece. I could get only one of them on with a tremendous amount of force. I have tried using a vice grip to hold the metal piece and push and twist with no luck with any of the others.

I was thinking to get a drill bit and see if i could make it slightly bigger but i worry about this.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get these attached?

Thanks.

RustyUs 03-22-2020 10:23 AM

Sounds to me you are talking about tie rods/turnbuckles and the ball cups/rod ends. The turnbuckles should have one side with normal threads and the other side with reversed threads. There usually is a marking on one side of the turnbuckles so that you know which side is which and can keep them all the same .

If YouTube is not working, just go search "How To: Build R/C Turnbuckles the easy way!"
Lots of ways to get the job done. Some will use special tool, or chuck of a drill to lessen the pain.

RustyUs 03-22-2020 10:32 AM

You don't want to enlarge the ball cups with a drill. Most of the time I use black grease, or like in the video...chapstick.to lube the threads. I mainly use a turnbuckle wrench to hold the threaded rod middle section while fighting with getting the first few threads started into the ball cups. If you roll the turnbuckles between your fingertips, you can usually see which way the threads pull/push.

Not all manuals are written with great care, or explaining things. I not sure which kit you are working on, but some kits have angled ball cups so it's important to keep all your turnbuckles oriented in same direction for ease of adjustment later on. I am usually total opposite than what most kit manuals suggest. Most will say to keep marking, on turnbuckle, to the left throughout the RC platform. When I adjust my turnbuckles, I like it when I'm pulling back on the turnbuckle wrench (pliers if in a pinch, or don't have wrench), and my ball cups tighten (move towards center of turnbuckle and making total turnbuckle length shorter).

I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

bline22 03-23-2020 03:49 AM

Thank you both very much and I will give that a try I didn't realize or think either that they might be reversed so will give that a go too.

bline22 03-29-2020 11:18 AM

This worked. Thanks again. I have another question but will start a different thread. Thanks again.