RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   2 Speed Electric...Nitro Killer? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/1197200-2-speed-electric-nitro-killer.html)

griff609 10-12-2003 05:39 PM

2 Speed Electric...Nitro Killer?

Has any one ever tried to retrofit a 2 speed tranny or thought about it to an electric Tour, Pan, or Off-road car? I'm sure others have thought about it.

Would it work?

If not why wouldn't it?

Would it only work on a direct drive unit (motor pinion directly drives axle mounted spur)?

Stock, Modifdied, or Brushless will they provide adequate powered for it?

The E-maxx has somewhat of a shift on the fly high low but how about something more along the lines of a nitro auto shift?

Is there some reason that companies haven't tried this yet for their electric vehicles?

A few questions to get the post rolling, I'd like to hear some ideas on what everyone thinks. (If there is another post like this in the electric forum I couldn't find it)

If you've managed something like this post pics or link sites.

SlamtheNutta 10-12-2003 08:07 PM

RE: 2 Speed Electric...Nitro Killer?

i think that its a bad idea because a 2 speed tranny and an extra servo and all that stuff would wiegh a lot, electric cars are usually light wieghts. but if you can pull it off that will rock!!!

griff609 10-13-2003 02:47 PM

Hmmm.....I thought I'd get more response on this am I the only on thinking of something like this. Sure the prototype might be a bit heavier a bit bulkier but ya got to start somewhere. It looks like it would be easier to do on a touring car (maybe a cheap nitro convert to electric to get an idea?) I don't see what I would need an extra servo for only if I wanted a reverse. This is starting to look more and more doable. Hmmm off to ebay....

Natesully 10-13-2003 05:31 PM

HPI makes an electric 2-speed for thier electric cars, but it is centrifugully shifted.

griff609 10-13-2003 09:25 PM

I'll look that up thanks I didn't see that last time I was at there site.

dragbikebam 10-13-2003 10:07 PM

i think its a good idea. but it would require companys to have enough demand for it..ie:"RACING" i think there would have to be a whole new class for it, or manf. would have to make convertion kits for the cars we race now..a centri. cluth would be the best bet for convertions....but thats just my opinion...trance

griff609 10-15-2003 03:21 AM

Well as soon as I unload some stuff on ebay I'm gonna try and build one. I'll have to find the right car to start with. I should build my T3 into a dual motor 2 speed monster with a run time of 30 seconds and a top speed of warp 9 (scale speed of course). I like building more then I like racing thats my problem. Build it, get bored with it, buy another, build it, get bored....the never ending cycle....buy another.

dragbikebam 10-15-2003 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oh i totally understand.im addicted to buying them on e-bay and fixing them up.i like rebuilding and cleaning..very fun to make one look new again.

Isphius 10-15-2003 07:20 PM

traxxas did that(emaxx) it has no problems. But I think weight savings would help more than 2 speeds.

griff609 10-15-2003 10:09 PM

Yeah I would definitley stay away from something like that (emaxx) more like a centrifugally shifted 2-speed that you see on nitro the only problem is you need enough rpm and torque to shift it...........and I think I may have found my downfall the shaft on a brushed electric motor may not be long enough to hold a double pinion......oh but a brushless would the ones they use in boats are a decent length. My ebay stuff sold...YaaY.....

e_lm_70 10-16-2003 03:56 AM

Hi,

Have a look of this :
KX-One Insane Shift Changer
[link=http://www.kyosho.co.jp/rc_model/touring_rally/kx-one/kx-one_option/kx-one_option-e.html]Kyosho KX-One Optionals[/link]
http://www.kyosho.co.jp/rc_model/tou...tion/kxw30.gif

This is a 2 speed for an electric ... I own already the great KX-One ... but I can't find any eShop where I can order this Part [&:]

e_lm_70

lutach 10-16-2003 06:03 PM

Griff609,

Hpi made an electric with 2 speed tranny and I got one. The HPI RS4 Pro 2. I'm just waiting for my pinion adapter so I could use the tranny. I'm running on the first gear only right now and the thing is fast. When I get the pinion adatper, I'll be using a brushless motor that I have in my Stampede. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

griff609 10-17-2003 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's cool I'd like to do something like that in my T3. Here's some pics of my brushless xxx-s graphite convert.