RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   STAMPEDE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/3034545-stampede.html)

RCNewcomer 06-02-2005 12:07 AM

STAMPEDE

IS THE STAMPEDE ANY GOOD TRUCK? IS IT DURABLE AND FAST? ANY PICS OF IN REAL LIFE PICS? I PLANNING ON GETTING ONE>>>>TOP SPEED (Stock)?

jkrustchinsky 06-02-2005 12:30 AM

RE: STAMPEDE

the stampede is a awesome truck man, theres a dude on here that made his all aluminum and is pretty tight, the stampede is a litle stiff suspension wise stock, a buddy at my lhs just got a stock one and when he drives off road it flips alot, but he said some soft springs will drop it a little and make it a nice ride. its also a very durable truck, the engine that comes on it is ok for starting out but is a little slow, when you get it make sure you get the esc version so you get the speedcontroller instead of the msc. have fun bro

ratman572 06-02-2005 12:33 AM

Well, a lot of people might argue this, but I think the electric stampede is one of the greatest trucks made. It certainly isn't the fastest, or the most agile, but it is extremely tough.

Out of the box, speed-wise, it isn't really that impressive, but it's still a lot of fun.

The "pede" (as it is known) has great potential. With a few very minor upgrades, it can be very fast, and pretty agile. Because the things are so light, the are also pretty good jumpers as well, -even with the stock parts.

One of the major weaknesses are the stock bearing carriers. The small (5x8 I think) bushings that come on the truck stock are fine until they wear out. Most guys (like myself) learned the hard way and installed 5x8 bearings in the small carriers only to grenade them in a very short amount of time.

The hot ticket are the carriers made by RPM. The housings are large enough to accept 5x11 bearings, which are a lot tougher to bust-up than the dinky 5x8's. In addition, like all other RPM plastics, the carriers are extremely tough and durable. RPM also makes a front bumper that for the money is a "must have". It offers a lot of protection to the front wheels during those "frontal-impact" moments.

Like any R/C, the stampede could be nit-picked to death, but in reality, it is a pretty darn good truck for the money.

I like mine so much that I bought the Novak SS-5800 for the one I have now, and have ordered a second stapede for my 3 year old boy.

If you get the one with the traxxas ESC, be forewarned that that ESC will only tolerate certain motors. Some guys have gotten away with running 17 turn mod-motors with the stock ESC, but several guys around here have proved otherwise. It seems that a 19 turn single is about as hot as you dare go if you want it reliable and don't want to cook the stock ESC.

If you are thinking that you may want to spring for an aftermarket ESC and mod motor, get the less expensive stampede with the mechanical speed control (since you'll be yanking it out anyway).

I think the MSC version is about $20 less than the ESC version.

My personal vote: can't go wrong with an electric pede.

Hope this helps.

thunderw0lf 06-02-2005 03:10 AM

Here's a link to the Offical Pede thread. Top speed out of the box is about 23 on a 7 cell pack.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2358901/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

aintskeered 06-02-2005 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
top speed stock:15-18mph...heres mine
dave

RCNewcomer 06-02-2005 08:48 AM

what about the wheels and tires selections? 2.2" fit?

aintskeered 06-02-2005 08:50 AM

yes the tire selections are all 2.2...usually the bags will say stamapede or rustler on them anyway...
dave

RCNewcomer 06-02-2005 08:54 AM

hop-ups? I see that it's all things are plastic.

aintskeered 06-02-2005 09:06 AM

mine is still very stock...-i don't quite understand what u just asked but i have hop ups on the motor the tires and rims and the new body and probably today i will have a new battery
dave

danny_holtermann 06-02-2005 09:12 AM

Mine stock went about 20mph, but a rustler goes faster, mine goes 47, and it has a lrp a.i. and a 10t in it

AndrewBomar 06-02-2005 09:21 AM

IN response to ratman, the bigger bearing carriers are a must. I bought new 5x8 bearings last year. This year i got a new motor(speed gem pro, 13t double) and man was i cookin down the road. When i pulled in for a battery change i noticed the tires seemed loose. All eight bearings were blown. And i had cleaned them good before storage last year. Now, i have the 5x11 bearings and they are smoother and aren't gumming up.

aintskeered 06-02-2005 09:25 AM

how much r those bearings-that's for a pede rite?
dave

AndrewBomar 06-02-2005 10:14 AM

Yeah they work for both. Here are a couple links:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000674287&I=LXD122&P=K]Bearings[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000674287&I=LXNY89&P=K]Fronts[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000674287&I=LXNY90&P=K]Rears[/link]

im pretty sure everything is parts express so shipping is $4.00. That makes the grand total $34.16 assuming i did my math right. But its definitly worth it. The stock bearings get fouled up and lose their smoothness real quick.

RCNewcomer 06-02-2005 01:17 PM

How can you make the stampede not flip,roll,wheel when it hit a rock or something? What shock you recommend (soft, med,hard?)

Stahd40 06-02-2005 01:30 PM

I don't know what durable really is, since this is my first RC also. But in the 3-4 months that I've had my Stampede, it's been broken about as much as its been running. Wheel bushings, then small bearings eaten up, camber blocks stripped out, shock caps broken and leaky shocks, 2 servo savers and I can now tell my servo is on the short list of replacement parts. With no hobby shops within an hour of home, repairs take a little more time.

On the other hand, the abuse given to this little all plastic truck has been incredible. Had a 2 ft. or so drop off I used as a jump for the first couple weeks, til I broke something. Had lots of trees in the way, til I broke something. Rolled arse over tincups til I broke something. But it sure has been fun!

Battery life is my only REAL gripe. Even with 7 cell 3300mah batteries, 20 minutes max run time.

ratman572 06-02-2005 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: AndrewBomar

IN response to ratman, SNIP... When i pulled in for a battery change i noticed the tires seemed loose. All eight bearings were blown. And i had cleaned them good before storage last year. Now, i have the 5x11 bearings and they are smoother and aren't gumming up.
That sounds very familiar. The stock bushings actually outlasted the bearings on mine before I upgraded to the 5x11's.

I mean those little 5x8's were just flat NUKED. The came out as dust, -literally. It was hard to even tell if they were once a bearing, -that bad.

That's what serious bashing will do to a dinky bearing like a 5x8, -besides the bearings being loaded pretty heavy due to the fact that they're so close together.

I'm sure the 5x8's would work fine if they weren't a measly 1/2" apart from each other.

Oh well, RPM to the rescue once again.

Happy bashing.

aintskeered 06-02-2005 06:00 PM

the run time is ONLY 20 min? that's all i ask for and more!
dave

S.A.E.W.O.T. 06-02-2005 06:02 PM

20 mins is sweet!:D

mouser 06-02-2005 06:06 PM

Hey RCnewcomer, not to be rude, but it seems that you say that you are planning on getting ever single r/c in the world!

aintskeered 06-02-2005 06:07 PM

he's just looking at all the options
dave

IBrakeForNobody 06-02-2005 06:16 PM

Hey RCnewcomer, not to be rude, but it seems that you say that you are planning on getting ever single r/c in the world!
Yah...I've seen threads by you (RCnewcomer) in like every car and truck forum...

For my application, I need bushings because I rely on the extra drag to help me stop. [X(] But most people upgrade to 5x11 bearings and bearing carriers but I think its a $32.18 waste of time. [X(][X(][X(] Yes, I know I'm wierd for not getting bearings. I think I'll get them once I turn the rustler back into electric when I get the RC10GT. Yes, I know I'm a hipocrit. :eek::D

RCNewcomer 06-02-2005 06:23 PM

[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]

mouser 06-02-2005 06:42 PM

^^^No idea what that means at the end.

S.A.E.W.O.T. 06-02-2005 06:44 PM

jus smile and nod!....lol!:D

mouser 06-02-2005 07:01 PM

That's how O.J. isnt in jail!