RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/3856726-evader-coalition-%7E-t-e-c.html)

lighthorse 02-26-2006 12:03 AM

RE: The Evader Coalition - T.E.C.

Thats Right they did say hump pack.
I just missed it. :eek:

duneslider 02-26-2006 01:26 AM

Hey Raz I have been thinking about the same BL setup. I still am not sure what I want to get. I really don't think I will need more than the ss5800, maybe even the ss4300. I don't really have any desire to go 40-50 mph. I just want good run time, reliability, and a little faster than a 19t. However, since I know eventually I might want something faster I have thought about going with the GTB esc so I could go with the faster motors. Then I thought, if I am going to do that why not consider the Reedy Neos. So, I am still not sure what I want to get. One plus to the SS+ esc is you can run seven cells. I don't have any seven cell packs but might someday.

Raz, I have a JR xr2i radio and I seem to get about 150' of range. At about 120 or so it will get a little glitchy sometimes but always stays in control enough to get back in range. Just so you know, antennas are specifically tuned and changing them can screw up the range. So, it is possible that your whip antenna is reducing your range. Just a thought...you may want to experiment. I know with my CB radios and my other shortwave radios the antenna tuning makes a big difference in the range I get.

It's good to see some more evader owners posting. It is good to see there are some people not afraid to do some nice stuff to their evader. I really think there are a lot of really trick evaders out there and we just need to find them.

Hey Lighthorse have you had to do anything to your tranny with all that power? I hear that motor is pretty nice. A guy at the LHS was sure talking it up last week when I was there.

Later all and long live the Evader
Duneslider

kysaint4life 02-26-2006 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: tamiyacrawler

Just one, they give you three. It comes with one preinstalled, so actually do nothing. Hope you like the speed stocker as muh as i do!
My speed stocker will be here Monday i took ur advice and got me one. Dumb question for a newbie though how do i know which wires from the esc is hot one or which tab do i solder the white or blue wire coming off the esc?/ Sorry for dumb question?? Please elaborate a little so i can pick up on it real easy or talk slow lol!!

duneslider 02-26-2006 01:45 AM

White is positive and blue is negative. Your motor should be marked with a + and a - so you will know the white goes to the + and the blue to the -. Hope that was simple enough. I really don't know why they couldn't use red and black to make it easier on everyone.

Duneslider

CustomTamiyas4Life 02-26-2006 09:11 AM

Sweet!We got three people running speed stockers now! Make sure you sloder on the brushes and leads and oil it to get the best performance. I gained 2-3mph from doing those things.

Grimdeath 02-26-2006 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: duneslider

...I really don't think I will need more than the ss5800, maybe even the ss4300. I don't really have any desire to go 40-50 mph. I just want good run time, reliability, and a little faster than a 19t.
My buddy dropped an 5800 into an XXX-T and it is nowhere close to my BX with Reedy 19T and 7-cells (even when I was using my stock 18T pinion). The speed difference between 6 and 7 cells IMO is considerable. Now maybe it's just the Reedy, but in trounces the stock Havoc 15T pro motor. If the low maintenance/reliability is important to you, by all means go the brushless route; however, for less $$ you can have a faster brushed setup too.
My buddy has since ordered a Novak 5.5 as he is dissapointed with the 5800 (I'm having so much fun causing him so much grief with a $40 19T motor!); I'll let you know next week how it works out :)

raz54 02-26-2006 10:16 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: duneslider

Hey Raz I have been thinking about the same BL setup. I still am not sure what I want to get. I really don't think I will need more than the ss5800, maybe even the ss4300. I don't really have any desire to go 40-50 mph. I just want good run time, reliability, and a little faster than a 19t. However, since I know eventually I might want something faster I have thought about going with the GTB esc so I could go with the faster motors. Then I thought, if I am going to do that why not consider the Reedy Neos. So, I am still not sure what I want to get. One plus to the SS+ esc is you can run seven cells. I don't have any seven cell packs but might someday.

Raz, I have a JR xr2i radio and I seem to get about 150' of range. At about 120 or so it will get a little glitchy sometimes but always stays in control enough to get back in range. Just so you know, antennas are specifically tuned and changing them can screw up the range. So, it is possible that your whip antenna is reducing your range. Just a thought...you may want to experiment. I know with my CB radios and my other shortwave radios the antenna tuning makes a big difference in the range I get.

The reason I'm thinking of this motor is I just want it as fast a 15t but longer run times and not have to replace motors. I run at the beach mostly and too much power would be a waste plus I don't want to melt any gears (lol).

I even tried it without the whip and the range was the same, about 75 feet tops. Both cars were having the same problem so could high winds cause low range? It was really windy that day and the sand was blowing pretty good.

duneslider 02-26-2006 10:19 AM

From what I have seen around the neighborhood, the ss5800 is faster than all the guys running 19t reedy's and chameleons. One kid has a ss4300 and I think it might be faster than the 19t too. Nobody runs seven cells either, we all run six cells. This is just what I have seen in my area. We don't really do flat out speed runs, we kind of have a few little areas kind of like tracks where we bash around. What is really nice is the guys running brushless get considerable more run time with the same batts. That's a big plus for me too. Of all the hobby shops in the area, only one turns comms. The others are all more of plane and helicopter stores so they don't have much car/truck stuff. The one that cuts comms charges fifteen for a cut and brushes. Most guys around here are going in about two times a year (some more because they don't clean and oil theirs). So, their motors actually cost about seventy bucks. If they keep the motor for two years they are up to $100. If taken care of brushless will cost less in the long run.

I still am quite pleased with my p2k2 pro so for now I am happy.

Later
Duneslider

duneslider 02-26-2006 10:24 AM

How are your batts in the radio? I know I get better range if I charge them right before I go out. Even if they have sat a day or two they don't have as much power. You have the radio that comes with the pro right? That should be a pretty good radio, at least as good as my xr2i if not a little better. I wouldn't think that the wind or sand would do much but I am not a really big expert on radio waves and all that. I just take my antennas into the store and have them tuned every now and again.

Later
Duneslider

discgolfer72 02-26-2006 10:38 AM

Grimdeath
stock pinion is 20 tooth ( lhs told me it was 18 but after counting and buying a 20 t ( that lhs rec) its the same

pyrodon 02-26-2006 10:45 AM

can i use the sprint esc with a 19t motor or would it get all messed up?

discgolfer72 02-26-2006 10:50 AM

it would be a flip of a coin ive run a 15 t in my sprint with no problems (and have had a 27 t green machine burn up a no limit intelaspeed )so if u do just watch your heat

run it a little then check the temp af ur esc heat sink if its real hot stop running and change motors or adj gearing

pyrodon 02-26-2006 10:52 AM

kk thanks i have a good esc in my touring car so iwould just pull it out if it gets to hot.

kysaint4life 02-26-2006 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: discgolfer72

Grimdeath
stock pinion is 20 tooth ( lhs told me it was 18 but after counting and buying a 20 t ( that lhs rec) its the same
Everywhere i've ever read even
on ebay it says that stock is 18T so i bought a 20 t to go with my speed stocker...

lighthorse 02-26-2006 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: duneslider

Hey Lighthorse have you had to do anything to your tranny with all that power? I hear that motor is pretty nice. A guy at the LHS was sure talking it up last week when I was there.

Later all and long live the Evader
Duneslider
No I run the stock tranny I just change the pinion and ring gears around.

kysaint4life 02-26-2006 11:39 AM

Hey guys where is the best place to get batteries seems like everyone is using GP cells so where do ya get them one guy on here said he was getting them for $30--I've never seen them that cheap i dont think?? Maxamps.com maybe ? thanks

discgolfer72 02-26-2006 11:39 AM

thats what i thought but after buying a 20 t and matching it to the stock one they are the same i even counted the teeth 2 just to be shure

lighthorse 02-26-2006 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: kysaint4life

Hey guys where is the best place to get batteries seems like everyone is using GP cells so where do ya get them one guy on here said he was getting them for $30--I've never seen them that cheap i dont think?? Maxamps.com maybe ? thanks
I get them custom built here [link=http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=462701&pgid=custompack]CheapBatteryPacks.com[/link]
The price is great for what you get.

Doahh 02-26-2006 11:47 AM

Look at the link in my sig... not the performance devices one either...

kysaint4life 02-26-2006 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Doahh

Look at the link in my sig... not the performance devices one either...
I checked it out...not much to choose from though couple GP's and mostly IB's

kar120c 02-26-2006 12:11 PM

My ST Pro Prebuilt with clear body without Motor and Esc was equipped with a 15T pinion and I think that using it with the stock spur (88t) the truck is under geared

raz54 02-26-2006 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: kar120c

My ST Pro Prebuilt with clear body without Motor and Esc was equipped with a 15T pinion and I think that using it with the stock spur (88t) the truck is under geared

That's because the havok motor (on the pro) has little low end torque.

duneslider. My tx batts are always fully charged befor I go to the beach plus my nephew was running my old evader (his now) and having the same problem, very little range.

kar120c 02-26-2006 12:35 PM

My St was buied without motor and I run with this gear ratio a 14T Associated Quad magnet motor

ORIGINAL: raz54

That's because the havok motor (on the pro) has little low end torque.

duneslider. My tx batts are always fully charged befor I go to the beach plus my nephew was running my old evader (his now) and having the same problem, very little range.

kysaint4life 02-26-2006 12:36 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: lighthorse

ORIGINAL: kysaint4life

Is getting them "upgraded" a necessity for an xtra $6 ???

raz54 02-26-2006 12:45 PM

My St was buied without motor and I run with this gear ratio a 14T Associated Quad magnet motor

I know but the pro comes with the havok motor so when they build those without the motor and electronics it's still set up for the havok motor because it is a pro version. Then when you put on a better motor with more torque it will be slightly under geared. But it's better to be under than over geared and burn up your motor.