RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   deans plugs are awesome!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/3979320-deans-plugs-awesome.html)

R/C fan-addict 03-01-2006 10:49 PM

deans plugs are awesome!!!!!

Okay I got my order from tower yesterday (minus my velociti 4.5R and batts which are on backorder [:o]). So I ordered 10 pairs of plugs to switch all my batteries, ESC's, motors, and charger to deans. The switch cost me about $30 and I spent the last 3 hours soldering everything (my soldering skills aren't great...). So once I finish everything I try to hook up my battery to my GTB. Cept it doesn't work. The plugs just don't fit. The extra ones I ordered (not soldered to anything) fit together fine but the soldered ones just don't feel like working! Woohooo!!!!! Yippeee! Isn't that great? I busted my thumbs to finally get it to go in but when I tried to remove it I had to use either a screw driver or pliers to remove them!!!! what the **** is up with that!!! I mean I spent $30 on em to have them not work!? I feel like cutting them off and chucking them in the trash! Anybody else had this problem?

rcmaster103 03-01-2006 10:51 PM

RE: deans plugs are awesome!!!!!

You may have heated them up to long and screwed the prongs out of place.

-Inverted- 03-01-2006 10:56 PM

What do you mean they dont fit, make sure you arent connecting male to male or female to female. Maybe you soldered the same polarity plugs on?

DaveG55 03-01-2006 11:02 PM

I just did the same thing (change to Deans plugs) and they are working great.
It takes a pretty deft touch and some practice to solder a Deans plug. Get it too hot and the pins will melt the plastic and move around then cool in the new position. It's also possable for the tension plate to seperate from the plug blade from overheating.
I'm sorry that you're having trouble but at this point I don't believe that the plugs are at fault.

R/C fan-addict 03-01-2006 11:04 PM

I melted one but the other ones do not have any visible signs of moving around

-Inverted- 03-01-2006 11:13 PM

I had; of all people my mom do it, she used to solder missile heads for bombs and circuit boards for fighter planes at Rockwell international and is government certified in soldering, I think I can trust her!

FSTlosiEVR 03-02-2006 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict
I feel like cutting them off and chucking them in the trash!
Make sure to cut one lead at a time :D.Hard wire brother cmon.

gunnut 03-02-2006 12:32 AM

I melted the first plug I did but the rest were fine. I got the soldering part down good now, the heat shrink stuff is another story.:eek:

jdmkyosho 03-02-2006 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: gunnut

I melted the first plug I did but the rest were fine. I got the soldering part down good now, the heat shrink stuff is another story.:eek:
Heat Shrink for Deans [sm=confused.gif] huh Im confused. im upgrading soon to Deans but do you use Heat shrink?

Rare 03-02-2006 12:46 AM

the heat shrink is not that hard....well for some people maybe.....

EDIT: the shack sells those extra pair of hands for soldering and any other project when you need another pair of hands....;)

jdmkyosho 03-02-2006 12:47 AM

oh well why is it needed and what do you do with it for deans plugs?

-Inverted- 03-02-2006 01:05 AM

You use it so it covers the solder tabs and wire leads on the deans plug
Heres a pic I got off google image search, but should show you what I mean.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/fmac709.jpg

jdmkyosho 03-02-2006 01:15 AM

Oh thanks cadillac_kid28! That clears thing up but it looks like it may be a small PITA.

-Inverted- 03-02-2006 01:20 AM

Ive also had my LHS solder my first set of Deans plugs ( gotta practice soldering) and its pretty simple. Be sure to tin them before soldering. As far as the heatshrink, just put it on the wire, solder your plug. Slide the shrink wrap up and just use a blow dryer to settle them in.

jdmkyosho 03-02-2006 01:26 AM

mmmkay thanks! but it maybe a better idea for my LHS to do it since Im picking battery tommorrow http://smiliesftw.com/!/orly.gif hmm decisions.

FSTlosiEVR 03-02-2006 03:38 AM

DO it yourself.If you are serious about this hobby (I think you are).Then you need to learn how to sodler, no way around it.Besides you cant let your LHS hold your hand for too long [>:]

bIGmiK 03-02-2006 05:03 AM

What you could do to stop the plugs change when heating them is put 2 plugts together while you solder them. This means thye cant move and will stay perfect! just wait until it cools then pull it apart.

Scoob 03-02-2006 05:57 AM

Get some Power Poles. They are 10 times easier, cheaper, and very very close to Deans in performance.

Evader 53 03-02-2006 08:05 AM

lol, sorry to hear that. What you did is heated them up too long and the plastic in the plug made the brass connectors move.

That happened to me once with an old junky soldering iron,
Sunce then I have got a much nice black and decker soldering iron with different heats so it melts the solder fine but not the plastic very easily, unless it is within direct contact.

My suggestion: Invest in a new soldering iron with at least 5 different tips and at least 2 different heats.

--Evader

R/C fan-addict 03-02-2006 06:44 PM

lol I have an old 240 volt soldering iron; in needs a transformator. It is over 30 years old but works fine. I did tin the plugs before soldering the wire on and I did use one of the 3rd hand tools (SOOO helpful!) I didn't think about pluging them in while soldering... I am not switching to power poles or hard wiring... I had some trouble with the heat shrink... the wire heated up (burnt my hand a few times) and shrank the shrink while it was on the wire, not on the connection but I have extra shrink that I'll cut and place over. I pluged them in and out a few times and they seem to work ok I bit hard but at least I don't need to use pliers anymore!!! I think I'll put some foam with a sticky side on them so that it doesn't hurt as much to take them off. Anybody know if it's okay to run a motor without a capacitor (or the little thing that reduces rf noise) I lost one for the two motors I bought for my emaxx... I think I'll just run one on one motor and the other just won't have one or is that really bad idea...?

Access 03-02-2006 07:07 PM

Soldering them is not that hard really, just solder it like you would any other surface mount part except on a much larger scale. Don't solder the plugs while they are together and make sure you solder the wires to the right end (the perfectly flat end, not the nubby one).

Running just one motor on an E-maxx sounds like a bad idea, over-torquing the motor could break it or shorten it's life. Running it with a capacitor just depends, you may get no interference up close but the signal might start to break down far away, it's hard to comment on any particular situation but the capacitors won't hurt.

R/C fan-addict 03-02-2006 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Access

Soldering them is not that hard really, just solder it like you would any other surface mount part except on a much larger scale. Don't solder the plugs while they are together and make sure you solder the wires to the right end (the perfectly flat end, not the nubby one).

Running just one motor on an E-maxx sounds like a bad idea, over-torquing the motor could break it or shorten it's life. Running it with a capacitor just depends, you may get no interference up close but the signal might start to break down far away, it's hard to comment on any particular situation but the capacitors won't hurt.

well I finished soldering so yeah and I did solder them to the correct tabs it's just they I guess melted a tad and caused them to not line up perfectly with the other plug which makes it hard to plug in or out. I will be running TWO motors in the emaxx but one will not have a capacito and the other will. Think this should work, yeah I worded it sorta confusingly...

FSTlosiEVR 03-02-2006 08:30 PM

You also worded your words pretty stupidly lol.

DaveG55 03-02-2006 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: Access

well I finished soldering so yeah and I did solder them to the correct tabs it's just they I guess melted a tad and caused them to not line up perfectly with the other plug which makes it hard to plug in or out. I will be running TWO motors in the emaxx but one will not have a capacito and the other will. Think this should work, yeah I worded it sorta confusingly...
You could just go by Radio Shack and pick up a couple new capacitors. I'm sure someone on the board can tell you the value you need or your owners manual may say. They probably only cost 30 or 40 cents each, if that much. Then you know you're good.

R/C fan-addict 03-02-2006 09:59 PM

well I ordered some capacitors along with some 26 MM foams and some 32P gears (17, 18, and 19 tooth) for my TA-05. I had ordered some 24 MM foams (the 05 comes with 24's but I stole the wheels and tires off my dash and forgot that they were 24MM and I also forgot that the spur gear on the 05 is 32P). Good news!!! My velociti 4.5R motor is coming into stock in mid march and should ship with my batteries!!!!! I am soooooo excited to drive the TA-05 (got it for xmas, drove it once then stupidly CAed the on off switch to the ESC and CA makes electronics go poof so the ESC stopped working so then I got my GTB and was going to use it with my orion method motor but decided to go for the 4.5R right away and not wait a little bit) so I haven't really even driven it. Just twice at 20mph and 20 is... yeah[sm=sleeping.gif]