RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Tamiya F-150 Race Truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/4697861-tamiya-f-150-race-truck.html)

hunter306 09-01-2006 02:22 PM

Tamiya F-150 Race Truck

Well in order with the recent TAMIYA project threads, I figured I'd try and echo the style that Lunchboxer has set forth.

On order is the Tamiya F-150 Race Truck from TowerHobbies Right now. Hopefully it should be here by next week.

I ended up using a coupon code to get the Truck kit and a Ballbearing servo for a reasonable 131 dollars. Not bad!

PIC:

http://h1072147.hobbyshopnow.com/Pro...M58161-250.jpg

Lunchboxer 09-01-2006 02:35 PM

RE: Tamiya F-150 Race Truck

SICK.. that's what I want!!!!!!

PLEASE do keep me posted on this build!! I will ask you for some measurement for sure.. probably posting the body w/ your XXX-4.. cause my original thought is to put the Dirt Hawgs on my Dark Impact and put this body on (if they somehow work decently together.. in terms of scale wise..) and create the true long travel Baja style racing truck.......

I just subscribed to this thread.. will keep a clsoe eye on this one.. !!

A common mod for this chassis is to move the ball diff up front, and gear diff to the back.. and lock the gear diff using JB Weld or some kind of glue.. and tighten the front ball diff (sort of a limited slip) but not 100% locking it..

hunter306 09-01-2006 02:39 PM

Certainly. I think you've given me a hand on my Lunchbox so I'll be sure to return the favor.
I just got my first paycheck at my new job, I thought this would be a nice treat... Until I can figure out how to get my hands on the New F-350.

I'm planning on replacing the mechanical speedcontrol (included with the package) with a ESC right off the bat.

Then ball bearings after I find a good cheap source for them.

Now I just have to wait for it to show up. I just got the standard ballbearing servo for it, the actual truck only wieghs 3.4lbs, so I'm sure that'll be sufficient.

Lunchboxer 09-01-2006 02:46 PM

Thanks man! Maybe you can install some of those LEDs that you got.... that would be pretty sweet! :D

Ballbearings will be a must.. looks like they use basic Tamiya size bearings (5x11 and 5x8).. I am sure that it is easy to source it from eBay.. look for Tamiya Hummer (probably the more popular of the two..)

Standard servo should be just fine...

hunter306 09-02-2006 11:58 AM

Well, it looks like a missed the boat with my friday order, so the item will be shipping tuesday... Probably will get it late next week.

I'm planning on using the Novak XRS Reversible ESC in the truck, should work like a champ for the stock motor. I thought about parting out the Lunchbox to get this one up and running, but I'd like to keep all my cars running... So the TEU-101BK is staying with the box.

More updates to come.

Lunchboxer 09-02-2006 04:15 PM

Yeah, the XRS should work just fine!! Although, I do think the TEU-101BK is a very good ESC.. it does not have a BEC, though.. so you need to make sure your receiver is BEC-equipped..

Yeah, definitely like to keep all my car running with full electronic.. that's for sure!!

I am mostly interested in the size of the shell compare to your XXX-4! Ha ha!!

I'd probably get the Hummer then since you got the F-150 already.. ha ha! Wish I can paint better, though... the Hummer needs a true military style paint job.. !!

ORIGINAL: hunter306

Well, it looks like a missed the boat with my friday order, so the item will be shipping tuesday... Probably will get it late next week.

I'm planning on using the Novak XRS Reversible ESC in the truck, should work like a champ for the stock motor. I thought about parting out the Lunchbox to get this one up and running, but I'd like to keep all my cars running... So the TEU-101BK is staying with the box.

More updates to come.

hunter306 09-03-2006 10:09 AM

I didn't know the TEU-101BK didn't have a BEC... That's interesting.

I've got the XRS pulled out of XXX-T so that's why I'm using it... I originally planned on using it in my F-350, but I couldn't wait for that to come out. I'll have to get a cooler ESC for that one.

As for the shell, it should be interesting. I'm not a big fan of my RTR Losi shell, but that would be cool if it fit because we could use any of the pro-line shells to give the trucks a more custom appeal. Personally, I love the F-150 body that comes with the kit.... but I really dug the other older TA02 based kits (Toyota Prerunner, S10)

I didn't even know they had a hummer based on the model.. I'll have to do some searching. If it's only 130 bux like this one, you can really go wrong for a sweet looking kit.

FE_Chris 09-03-2006 10:49 AM

nice man, I love my 1:1 f150. It's not a race truck, but it's a lariat fx4 with leather :D

I'm gonna have to hook up on one of these kits, looks like fun.

davebar1010 09-03-2006 10:54 AM

I just got a used S-10 kit of epay for $35.00.....It includes 2 batts, charger and has some upgrades done already......I cant wait to get it. I will also watch to what mods u guys r going to make.

Dave

Lunchboxer 09-03-2006 12:04 PM

I am pretty sure this is based on the same chassis...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXGA76&P=K

Tamiya Racer 09-04-2006 02:52 PM

Sup guys, I have been thinking of gettin 1 of these f-150 trucks. Oh yeh i have the hummer. Its ok, if u want to go slow. lol.... reason being is becuase it has a super thin shaft that turns all the wheels. when i mean then i mean u can easily bend, the shaft. I mean its like a super small peice of wire. Now if the F-150 is the same then I wont get it. I don't exactly think it is the same though.

hunter306 09-04-2006 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Tamiya Racer

Sup guys, I have been thinking of gettin 1 of these f-150 trucks. Oh yeh i have the hummer. Its ok, if u want to go slow. lol.... reason being is becuase it has a super thin shaft that turns all the wheels. when i mean then i mean u can easily bend, the shaft. I mean its like a super small peice of wire. Now if the F-150 is the same then I wont get it. I don't exactly think it is the same though.
Can you take a decent picture of the hummer chassis (without the body on)

83gt 09-04-2006 07:31 PM

the f-150 and hummer are both built from the TA02 chassis. You can get CVD's and plenty of other hopups for these. Alot of the hopups for TA01 based touring cars will work on these two models as well, anything else you just have to be creative with. There are some really great mods to the TA01/02 chassis over at scale4x4.

J.

aer-wubby 09-04-2006 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I am pretty sure this is based on the same chassis...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXGA76&P=K
I used to have that truck about 5 years ago (or something similiar) by tamiya.

83gt 09-05-2006 07:35 AM

Actually, let me correct myself. The Hummer is a TA01 chassis, while the F-150 is a TA-02 or rather a combination of TA-01/02 chassis components. The two drivetrains are identical, but the actual tub is a bit different.

J.

Lunchboxer 09-05-2006 07:37 AM

So the TA-02 actually has some improvement over the TA-01 (Hummer) or they are just different?

hunter306 09-05-2006 08:54 AM

I wish we could get a side by side comparison shot... From the top down so we could look at the differences. I think 83 is right though, the drive train is the same (from what I can make out) it's just a different tub design that differentiates the two kits... and the TA-01 and TA01/02 mix.

Lunchboxer 09-05-2006 08:56 AM

Either way it is pretty cool.. You got the kit yet?!

My Touareg arrives today... (saw the UPS tracking.. :D)

hunter306 09-05-2006 09:12 AM

"picked and packed at our warehouse" according to tower

I'm hoping I'll have it no later than Friday of this week.

Lunchboxer 09-05-2006 09:22 AM

Nice.. good luck!! Should be a fun project!! Remember to post a lot of pics.. I never built a TA-01/02 before, so I'd definitely be interested to see some details!! (and maybe get a Hummer later.. :D) Maybe start collecting for the Tamiya military collection.. (WW2, which I have, the Hummer, the XR-311, and the Japanese rescue vehicle thing...) They need to re-release the Fast Attack Vehicle...

83gt 09-05-2006 10:22 AM

There are some great shots and mods to both chassis styles at scale4x4rc.org/forums . You should check it out over there if you want to see some chassis shots. Those guys love the TA01/02 chassis for scale builds.

J.

Tamiya Racer 09-05-2006 10:34 AM

Sup lunchboxer, now i wish i had a toureg. As for the hummer picture, i dont have a camera right now, and if i did this computer im on sucks. So i would not even be able to put them on here......I will be gettin a new comp. soon though.

About the hummer. The hummer is nice, very scale look. But i think it was only made to do little trails or something. I wish there was sand here where I live, now that would be a nice spot to run it. My expeirence with the hummer, was ok. Only thing I did not like was the super thin shaft, and u can easily bend it.......but, i must say that shaft must not be so bad cause I ran a trinity 8X2 D6 motor in it a couple of times, lol and nothin happened to the shaft. I had it gear wrong though.

Yeah I love speed!!!!!!

P.S. Lunh boxer im going to be puttin that 8 turn D6 in my Tamiya Eunos Roadster lol.

Lunchboxer 09-05-2006 10:52 AM

LOL.. are you sure the RWD can handle the power?!? Might make it a handful... !! :D

83gt 09-05-2006 10:56 AM

check this out....

http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/tvr_touareg_4.asp

My touareg should be here by friday I hope!!! :D

J.

Lunchboxer 09-05-2006 11:01 AM

Yeah, I posted that at my Project T-Egg thread! It should have been delivered today.. hee hee.. I will pick it up tonight after I got home.. but probably won't build it until 3 weeks from now.. (self discipline.. right..... [:'(])