RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Good batteries rock (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/4952468-good-batteries-rock.html)

dedvw 11-03-2006 09:10 PM

Good batteries rock

Well, I finally got a set of good batteries (3800 mAh Ni-MH) from all-battery.com and realize what everyone was saying about experiencing a "good battery". I moved up from my 2400 mAh Ni-CD's thinking those were good but WOW, these babies blew them away.

I have a XL-5 Pede and went from about 15 minutes of decent run time to 20 minutes of great run time.

What I mean by decent is, on my Ni-CD's, the first 2 minutes I was able to pull a wheelie or two. The next 8 minutes were some pretty serious run time, followed by 5 minutes of slower rundown time (where they would start to die) where the Pede would crawl around maybe spinning on some loose sand. These batteries were hot to the touch upon removing them (kind nice in the cooler fall days :)

My new batteries, for the first 10 minutes gave me nothing but wheelie time. The truck did cookies on dry tar, a feat that the 2400's could never pull off. It was so much faster and I had a hard time keeping it under control. The battery maintained its power for most of the time not loosing most of it's ooph after the first eight minutes. When the batteries "gave up" they just slowed down and died out. They didn't tease me for 5 minutes like the Ni-CD's did. These batteries were not nearly as hot coming outta my truck as the others, giving me the ability to recharge them sooner.

As a group of people walked by they said, WOW that thing is fast! I was surprised to find myself saying the brushless motor can wait until spring.

I know some of you are saying if you think good batteries make a difference wait until you get your hands on that brushless. But the people that said buy a good set of batteries before a brushless were right, what a cheap way to upgrade your truck without much work.

This is also a great time for me to give the Traxxas Titan motor some props too. I've heard some people **** on this motor, but out of the box I have had tons of fun with this puppy. Lots of torque and decent top speed especially with the new batts. I'm on about my 50 run and all I've done is clean it once and it keeps going and going.

Just thanking everyone for their input and giving mine back.

MacDuff 11-03-2006 10:32 PM

RE: Good batteries rock

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Rising_Stormer 11-03-2006 10:53 PM

Yea. Ni-Mh is the way to go. Ni-Cd aren't nearly as good. I need to get one:)

andrew222 11-03-2006 10:58 PM

Same here man. just got my hands on some ib4200. I couldn't believe the difference over my GP3300. Good batteries do rock!

Nitronutt 11-03-2006 11:08 PM

I must be getting freekin' old. Dedvw, what the heck is a cookie (Other than the sweet and tasty baked item)?

Glad you like the better batteries, they can really make a difference.

skidooguymxz550 11-03-2006 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: andrew222

Same here man. just got my hands on some ib4200. I couldn't believe the difference over my GP3300. Good batteries do rock!

i got those in 7cells. for the xtra 20 bucks over a "fair" battery it was night and day. have them hooked up to an hvmaxx. it breaks something before it runs out of juice.

i ran one on a 10t in a tc4 and it went for 20minutes for it dropped

raz54 11-04-2006 08:36 AM

When it comes to batteries that is the one thing you can't be cheap on and expect your rc to run it's best. I thought all batteries were alike till some one talked me into getting a "good" pack. Now I won't own a cheap nicad ever again, it's a waste of money.

Rising_Stormer 11-04-2006 02:08 PM

I was wondering about this battery. Does anyone know of this or even have this battery? I was thinking of getting one. Right now I have a crapy 2000mah nicd battery. Would these be a good buy? http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2147160&cp

duneslider 11-04-2006 02:38 PM

It is fantastic battery. For the money it can't be beat. Those are GP3300's for 25 bucks. I have one and it is much better than my IB3600. You can't go wrong with that battery for bashing.

Duneslider

Rising_Stormer 11-04-2006 02:45 PM

And also. I have the Ultra Fast Universal RC Charger from radio shack. Now would that battery be able to charge on that fast charger. Because i've heard that your not supposed to charge nimh at high amps?

dedvw 11-04-2006 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

I must be getting freekin' old. Dedvw, what the heck is a cookie (Other than the sweet and tasty baked item)?

HA! Well, I'm 30 so "cookie" is probably outdated but its when your truck or car spins its back wheel(s) so it does circles with the front wheels barely moving.

andrew222 11-04-2006 05:20 PM

Wow...thats werid jargon. you must be ancient. jk:D

raz54 11-04-2006 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: dedvw

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

HA! Well, I'm 30 so "cookie" is probably outdated but its when your truck or car spins its back wheel(s) so it does circles with the front wheels barely moving.

I've never heard "cookie", just "dougnuts" or "brodies" and I'm well over 30:)

carmatic1 11-04-2006 09:13 PM

if you do a forming charge (charge at very low current for a very long time) , then discharge it , and do it again, then repeat... it will give you even more runtime, if you havent used it before or if you've left it alone for a long time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_...ydride_battery not sure why it says nicd is good for rc cars tho...

Rising_Stormer 11-05-2006 01:09 AM

I'm planning on picking up one of those batteries tomorrow. I found that one of the accessories for the battery is the ultra fast universal RC charger (the one I have). So I think I'm safe about the charging at high amps part.

paintstikker 11-05-2006 01:37 AM

I went there today to pick up a couple batteries, the computer stated that they were in stock.....what do you know, they didnt have any. Oh well, Ill have to wait.

Anyway, how good is that charger?

CustomTamiyas4Life 11-05-2006 08:13 AM

And deathspin is when you are spinning as if there's a central axis.

Rising_Stormer 11-05-2006 01:06 PM

Yea that's too bad they didn't have any. They had a couple at radioshack a few days ago. So hopfully they will still be there.The charger works great! Compared to my other charger. I have a 2000mah NiCd battery, and it charges it in about 12-15 minutes. Crazy fast! The battery doesn't even get hot. So that's nice. I get about 10-15 minutes run time with my RS, but when it's cold my run time is a lot less.

SS5800EvADer 11-05-2006 01:30 PM

i have the 4500 mah 7 cell battery pack for my stampede with the ss5800 and it is really fast
at top speed on the street it wont turn it will keep going straight until it slows down

and wheelies are a huge issue thats y im getting a swami bar

i had this gravel trail in my backyard and now there is no more gravel on it
the charger chargers them to about 4800 give or take

lasts about 25 minutes

Rising_Stormer 11-05-2006 06:09 PM

Well I got the battery today and HOLY CRAP is it awesome! I put it on charge before I used it, and after it got done I went out to try it and I noticed that I had more power and speed than before(which is always good). But what really amazed me was how long of run time I had. I'm used to about 10-15 mins, but I got 30mins! 25mins was pure full power, the last 5 were kinda slow. So I'm very happy! It's nice that you done have to wait for ever till the battery is dead. It wore down pretty fast unlike my nicd were it takes 10 minutes or so to drain it down.

CustomTamiyas4Life 11-05-2006 06:19 PM

Image the potential on a peak charger with a break in cycle...hmmm...