RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   losi speed t vs rustler vxl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7273363-losi-speed-t-vs-rustler-vxl.html)

savtraxx 03-24-2008 05:02 AM

losi speed t vs rustler vxl

if both were aviloable what one would you choose and why? i know rusty is better for bashing and stuff

Echelon 03-24-2008 06:52 AM

RE: losi speed t vs rustler vxl

I would choose for the losi speed t. I don't have one, but it's supposed to be an awesome car. AND you get an 2,4ghz radio, wich is very good and very expensive if you buy it loose (approx. 180 bucks). That beats the rtr radio from the rustler's. But both cars are very nice. Succes with choosin'.

cheech4 03-24-2008 10:07 AM

i also would pick the speed T.. better handling being a losi XXXT platform. much better radio, and if you decide to take convert it to the regular XXXT and race it on dirt it is doable.

sloppyG 03-24-2008 10:08 AM

I would vote losi too, but read up on loosening the slipper a bit when you get it

it seems that some are stripping diff gears due to the spool in back

I have a rustler with vxl, and i'm voting losi

passinuby 03-24-2008 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a tough decision. I own a Rustler VXL and my bud owns the Speed T. Due to the locking differential the Speed T is going to handle way different from the Rustler. I do like the various settings you can choose from on the Speed Ts ESC. You can go in and set the brake power, acceleration, and brake power. This is not an option on the Traxxas ESC. The Speed T comes stock with the Weapons for street riding and the Rustler comes with tires for the dirt. They both have two totally different driving styles. The Speed T will not allow you to go straight into drive from reverse or from reverse straight into drive. This is a design Losi has to prolong the life of the trasmission. The Rustler does not have this so you can go in and out of drive and reverse as much as you would like. The Speed T sits much wider than the Rustler and the Rustler has more ground clearance and shock travel. Your decision really needs to be based upon what style riding intend to have. Dirt or Street? The Rustler comes stock for the dirt but with a few mods you can go street. The Speed T comes ready for the street so wherever you are going to ride at should make the decision for you.

I'm very happy with the performance out of my Rustler and I know there are a lot of people out there that love them. My bud has not had his Speed T very long nor has he rode it very long b/c he is having some battery and spur gear problems. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions if you have any. Good Luck with your research man I know this will not be an easy decision.

I have some photos of the Speed T also so I can send them to you later. Good Luck man...

Chris_RC 03-24-2008 11:23 AM

[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7468783191198867356&q=speed+t&tota l=22438&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1]Losi Speed T [/link]Another vote for the Speed T. The video will speak for itself. I just think the losi 65 seems to be faster then the traxxas 65 somehow.

ludeman 03-24-2008 11:44 AM

Well until more info comes out on how well the Losi holds up (not a big fan of Losi quality) My vote is Rustler VXL this is my most reliable R/C I have ever owned. However I dont like the Velion ESC. Only basic setup, big, wires that pop lose.

DriftingDragon 03-24-2008 11:54 AM

get the rustler and put the losi brushless in it

stringcheese 03-24-2008 02:49 PM

IMO I don't know anything about rustler but have owned 3 losi's and they have all had fatal weak spots. They would break if the wind blew the wrong way. Traxxas has made a reputation of tough cars. I hate my losi's. they are always breaking. My associated cars feel indestructable compared to my losi's.
No matter which you buy you won't really be happy until you can afford the 11.1v lipo's to power them. Until then my t3 w/lrp v7.1 and championworks limited edition Tebo 10t single will walk all over both of them.

walkingcarpet900 03-27-2008 05:01 PM

i vote rustler
only downside is cant really be raced

but whos gunna race with a 50mph+ truck...
might as well get like a xxx cr

i think the rustler owns in durability
the speed t seems very thin

NA_alwas 03-27-2008 05:26 PM

iv had my rusty vxl bout 2 months and pretty much broke all A arms and lots other stuff and jus order threaded aluminum shocks...
i vote rustler vxl.....

after u break parts i believe it will be strong then the speed t

VXL BURRITO 03-27-2008 05:49 PM

I think this just totally depends on what you're using the car for. I would personally pick the Rustler because I bash offroad a lot. If I were just gonna ride like only on the street I would pick the Speed T. The "T" just seems lower to the ground and isn't really made for hardcore bashing offroad like I would be doing.

SigMan 03-29-2008 07:39 AM

anyone know about how fast the speed-t will go, with a 3 cell 2100mah 11.1v battery ? i have 2 of them looking for a home. it is sort of a tough choice between the T and the rusty.

savtraxx 03-29-2008 08:11 AM

read my thread called oh well

Chris_RC 03-29-2008 09:31 AM

probably around 55-60

aftermarket 03-29-2008 02:32 PM

Rustler vxl, had a bandit vxl, they're really similar, and I love mine, plus, parts support for the rustler, nay for the speed t :D

Chris_RC 03-29-2008 04:53 PM

your talking about how Traxxas has more part support then Losi? I think Losi has more support than Traxxas. Have you EVER heard of the mini t? If so, you will know that there are so many companies that have mini t parts it's redicious. Look at the micro t. 1st started off as the only upgrades you could get were bearings and now look at how much there are. Might be the same with the speed t and the 1/10 desert truck.

cheech4 03-29-2008 05:01 PM

im beginning to get sick of these threads comparing the 2.. bottom line is ones a racer the other is a basher, both are fast and one comes with a better radio.. buy what ever floats your boat and do research before making threads like these.

novakmaxx 03-29-2008 06:41 PM

i vote the speed t.

TheTruckingGuru 03-29-2008 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cheech4

im beginning to get sick of these threads comparing the 2.. bottom line is ones a racer the other is a basher, both are fast and one comes with a better radio.. buy what ever floats your boat and do research before making threads like these.
This thread is part of his research. I have not heard of anyone racing the Speed T or know if it is raceable. I think being 2wd it may not be the best racer, but could be a good street basher when Losi fixes their differential and tranny problems. Anyone on this forum know how long it took Losi to come out with the Mini LST2 after the Mini LST? I think we can expect a Losi Speed T2 sometime next year. I to have had problems with my Losi trucks breaking all the time even though they are heavily moded to be strong. I recently stripped the front differential gears and snaped an axle on my Mini LST2; I also lost the pin that connects the wheel to the axle when it snapped. My Emaxx needed several upgrades to make it durable. I thought maybe being 4x4 makes these trucks less durable for off road bashing and jumping; but then I constantly try to break my brushless 4x4 Associated RC18B and it takes the jumps in stride. The bottom chassis is starting to wear down from bottoming out so much. I can't even wear down a battery pack on my Losi Trucks without breaking something. I think the guy with idea of putting the Losi Brushless motor and ESC into the Rustler had the best idea. Also throw the reciever and use the Losi Radio into it while your at it. In fact that is a really good idea. I might buy the Speed T just for that. Maybe Losi would sell more if they marketed the Speed T as an "upgrade pack" for your Rustler;) For $300 your Ruslter can have a better Motor, ESC and Radio, thats a great upgrade. Then you can throw a cheap brushed motor, esc, and reciever into the Speed T and then maybe it will not break as often; or this that hoping for to much.

savtraxx 03-29-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru

ORIGINAL: cheech4

This thread is part of his research. I have not heard of anyone racing the Speed T or know if it is raceable. I think being 2wd it may not be the best racer, but could be a good street basher when Losi fixes their differential and tranny problems. Anyone on this forum know how long it took Losi to come out with the Mini LST2 after the Mini LST? I think we can expect a Losi Speed T2 sometime next year. I to have had problems with my Losi trucks breaking all the time even though they are heavily moded to be strong. I recently stripped the front differential gears and snaped an axle on my Mini LST2; I also lost the pin that connects the wheel to the axle when it snapped. My Emaxx needed several upgrades to make it durable. I thought maybe being 4x4 makes these trucks less durable for off road bashing and jumping; but then I constantly try to break my brushless 4x4 Associated RC18B and it takes the jumps in stride. The bottom chassis is starting to wear down from bottoming out so much. I can't even wear down a battery pack on my Losi Trucks without breaking something. I think the guy with idea of putting the Losi Brushless motor and ESC into the Rustler had the best idea. Also throw the reciever and use the Losi Radio into it while your at it. In fact that is a really good idea. I might buy the Speed T just for that. Maybe Losi would sell more if they marketed the Speed T as an "upgrade pack" for your Rustler;) For $300 your Ruslter can have a better Motor, ESC and Radio, thats a great upgrade. Then you can throw a cheap brushed motor, esc, and reciever into the Speed T and then maybe it will not break as often; or this that hoping for to much.
speed t racing?.....might aswell race a brick and if you havent nothin nice to say cheech4 dont reply!

cheech4 03-29-2008 09:18 PM

where in the post does it show negativity, im not bashing any of the products or any person, just saying people should do some research. I can count at least 10 threads for the rusty vxl and another 10 threads for the speed T.. why is it so hard to read and actually use the search feature here at RCU, you will get answer for your questions that way... as far as the speed T and racing yes you can race it, you will have to convert it back to the XXXT which the speed T is based off but it does not take alot to do.. and do me a favor dont take shots at me by saying if i have nothing nice to say then dont cuz i was not pointing fingers nor was i bashing products. if you have nothing nice to say back then dont.

Redvanmafia 03-29-2008 10:47 PM

rustler

ludeman 03-29-2008 11:37 PM

Upgrade pack for the Rustler LMAO he he he he. You know I just might do that :)

Always Dreamin 03-30-2008 12:38 AM

Oh dear, another one of these threads.

For going in a strait line, I would choose the speed-t. As it has a locked differential and street tires. For a basher, that doesn't care so much about handling, a Rustler would be my weapon of choice.