RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

FairTax4me 01-23-2010 07:53 PM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

I haven't had any trouble with the bearing carriers on mine. They're all OG, and this thing has been through some pretty nasty tumbles in it's time.

Bigbangtheory 01-23-2010 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

BIGBANGTHEORY
yes it's common to break the rear bearing carriers both stock and rpm. i'm running strc aluminum ones now. $18 for them at a-main and a better design than the aka ones i think.
i just got the integy ones also but have not run them yet. they were $18 from tower.

if you stick with the stockers boil them first. it will soften the plastic and give them more flex before breaking.
Thanks for the info...I indeed will do so, boil them that is.

Thanks for the other options as well.

Also Fairtax, I think it was because I was jumping it a good 2-3ft off snowbanks onto the pavement. If I was doing so in dirt or grass I imagine I would be okay.

Brainanator 01-23-2010 08:12 PM

I broke my stock rear bearing carriers like butter, went through 3 in a few weeks. Got the Traxxas Alum ones and they've been great, now all I do it bend axles :p
I guess I should learn to drive huh?

FairTax4me 01-23-2010 08:25 PM

Maybe I've just been lucky then I dunno. It's been off 4ft walls, 5 ft dirt piles, seen the curb many a time at close to 30mph and rolled lord only knows how many times. Most of the jumps it gets are 2- 3 ft.

Slashdrivr 01-23-2010 11:56 PM

Short video Iput together of my Slash in action...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol-b3O7b7HY[/youtube]

Brainanator 01-24-2010 12:09 AM

pretty nice vid pededriver, looks like a fun place to drive!

devast8r 01-24-2010 12:23 AM

Hey guys yall seen the new proline shocks for the Slash? To bad I just bought Big Bores maybe when I get a 4x4. They look pretty interesting though don't know about $100 worth of interesting but we can only wait and see. If anybody tries em let me know how they work out please.

devast8r 01-24-2010 12:28 AM

Here's a link if you haven't and want to see em http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Shocks-2-Slash

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 10:56 AM

Those shocks look really nice, the big bores are also really nice though(i had them on my old pede) and the price of 4 bigbores is pretty much the same as 2 of the prolines so...idk lol. Thats a cool looking track pededriver. I need to get my buggies out to the track lol. Also its raining so no testing the slash today[:o] I have midterms this week thgouh so i get out early everyday so it will get tested sometime this week.

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 12:56 PM

Ok well it stopped raining so I took the slash for the first test. O...M..G lol this thing is a freakin beast! I havent gotten over 1/2 throttle becuase i run out of room in my yard or becuase it flips over! lol and the greass is wet so traction is like gone and it still rips! I took a little vid, dont really go over 1/4 throttle in the vid since i was filming and driving. My rx pack broke loose at the end and it ran away but stoped in my neightbors yard, phew haha. (at the end i put the cam down, thought i turned it off but its still recording so you can just turn the vid off lol)

[link]http://s437.photobucket.com/albums/qq99/oday1395/?action=view&current=July-24-0951326.flv[/link]

devast8r 01-24-2010 01:14 PM

Phew that was a close one it would've realyy sucked if it would have went wide open and didn't stop.

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 01:17 PM

I would have cried. LOL yeah it was a close one. That wont happen again when i get my bec lol

devast8r 01-24-2010 01:23 PM

You almost wish you would've just waited to begin with huh? lol

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 01:41 PM

hahaha now i dont think i can wait knowing its a beast lol

FairTax4me 01-24-2010 01:51 PM

[sm=lol.gif] I know that feeling! What setup did you put in it?

devast8r 01-24-2010 02:00 PM

Lol that's always my problem too. He had the Castle setup on the last page.

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 02:21 PM

haha yeah. I have a mamba max esc and a turnigy 36-56 2600kv on 4s lipo:D

devast8r 01-24-2010 02:25 PM

Overkill lol it's all I handle with a vxl in mine with a 8 cell nimh. My MaxAmps 2s lipos are beasts in it to.

FairTax4me 01-24-2010 02:33 PM

Hope you got spare axles! :D I had to put steel output yokes on my Rustler when I went brushless in that. The plastic ones kept breaking. Now the axles stubs break instead! The plastic drivetrain parts just don't hold up to the torque.

Budman68 01-24-2010 07:08 PM

Took the Slash vxl out today for a little indoor bashing at Mikes Hobbies.  Limited my battery to a 6 cell and was very controllable. The only problem I had was four other Number 7 bodies on the track at once.  Kept driving the wrong car.

SlashBasher 01-24-2010 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Hope you got spare axles! :D I had to put steel output yokes on my Rustler when I went brushless in that. The plastic ones kept breaking. Now the axles stubs break instead! The plastic drivetrain parts just don't hold up to the torque.
I got jato axels so they should hold, for now anyway:Dlol and yeah im gonna get those steel output yokes eventually also haha

snakemau 01-24-2010 07:37 PM

Hello,

Well I'm new to RC and might be a mistake but I couldn't resist and so I just got me a new 4x4 Traxxas Slash electric.... it will arrive in about 1 week
So now the questions: I would like to know what do you guys recommend as for transportation bags, tools, spare parts and others. Is there like a tool kit, oil, etc, etc available? I know a better battery will have it flying at high speeds which for my non-exixting experience with an RC (besides the radio Shack, walmart type of RC's) will definetely be a no no correct? Not doing races or anything yet, since I'm new at this so for now will have fun with it and then we'll see...

What do you recommend me to get for my new truck? Any advice will be appreciate it

devast8r 01-24-2010 10:44 PM

As far as tools Duratrax and Losi have a nice hex driver set. Get something with a 2.0 driver cause that is the most used on a Slash. Also you'll want some nut drivers to make your life easier. Not a must but they're nice to have. You'll also want a Dremel at some point.

Wo81 01-24-2010 11:56 PM

Do a search for "universal smart charger" on ebay. They charge at 1-2 amps and handle 6-10 cells. $25 shipped. Then get some better batteries. I'd recommend a quality 7 cell pack, 4000mah and up. Tenergy or Intellect. Your esc can handle up to 9 cell nimh. When your ready for that much power, it'll be time to go lipo.

FairTax4me 01-25-2010 12:18 AM

I'd recommend a quality 7 cell pack, 4000mah and up. Tenergy or Intellect
Intellect maybe, but IMO Tenergy and quality in the same sentence is an oxymoron. [&:]
I say either hold out for LiPos or order a REAL Nimh pack from Promatch.

Tools. A dremel is almost essential, but you can do without it.
Integy (despite a somewhat poor reputation in aftermarket hop-up parts) makes some damn fine allen head (inverted hex) screw drivers. Order a metric driver kit. Get some hex drivers, and an assortment of regular screw drivers just to have (they're useful). An xacto knife comes in handy quite often. A soldering iron, a multimeter is extremely useful, and an infrared temp gun for sure.
Any hobby bag that will fit the slash should work great, but some people like to have extra room to fit a transmitter case.

The Slash 4x4 will be pretty quick. You can set the ESC on training mode to cut the power in half while you get the hang of it. Then when you're ready for full power just set it back and rip it up.