RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Evader down for the count (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7644795-evader-down-count.html)

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 01:03 PM

Evader down for the count

Well gang, I got 5 good runs on my Evader and not even 5 mins into a fresh battery, the car threw a rear axle pin. This is the spring pin that connects the dogbone to the rear wheel axle...tiny little thing! I had checked everything before this run and noticed that this pin was loose and nearly coming out so I put it back in proper place. Guess I should have known it would throw it again ><. Sucks that such a small thing as a spring pin can totally disable the ST. I can order more from Tower, but I'd rather not wait that long for shipping. Does anyone know another solution (even something temporary)?

PENGUINBLASTER!!! 06-21-2008 02:00 PM

RE: Evader down for the count

Find a drill bit the same diameter and cut the correct length with a rotary tool cut-off disc.

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Find a drill bit the same diameter and cut the correct length with a rotary tool cut-off disc.

Not a bad idea! I did manage to temporarily fix it with a nail. I left the head on the nail as to provide a means of keeping it in place and then used wire cutters to cut the excess off. Then I took a large pair of pliers to kind of flatten out the end that was cut to make it less likely to slide back out. This held up for a couple of runs but ended up coming back out. Guess I'll keep doing this until I can get more pins in.

Nik. 06-21-2008 02:28 PM

tighten the setscrew holding ti in place?

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 02:52 PM

setscrew? holding what in place?

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 03:00 PM

Well now...after running it with the makeshift pin that I crafted, I examined the other dogbone and it too has came loose and was almost out of the joint. Is this something thats going to be an ongoing problem? Or is there something I could use to make the connection a little more permanent than something that can slide freely in the pivot?

IloveMYxt2 06-21-2008 03:44 PM

I have never had a problem with the EXT.

You could get some tubing, for example fuel tubing off a nitro rc, and put it in the cup to replace the tiny little spring.

jimroad471 06-21-2008 04:05 PM

Guy, if you look at the MIP cvd setup, they're very similiar. The set screw the guys is talking about is a little pinion gear size screw that holds the large pin place along with Threadlock. Look at the MIP buidling inst online and see how they built. Good luck with your new car
Jim

Hardin Valley Magic 06-21-2008 08:41 PM

The solution that I use and works well, is take a piece of heat shrink tubing and put it over it. after you heat it it shrinks tightly around it letting it bend, but not letting the pin out..Hope that helps..

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

I have never had a problem with the EXT.

You could get some tubing, for example fuel tubing off a nitro rc, and put it in the cup to replace the tiny little spring.
Hmmm...not mentally picturing how this will work. There is going to be quite a bit of torque on the tubing.

IloveMYxt2 06-21-2008 08:53 PM

Im not fully understanding what the problem is. Sorry, I thought you meant the little spring in the output cups in the rear that help keep the dogbone from falling out.

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 11:23 PM

Found another quick fix. I simply took the pin that is used to turn the wheel (the pin that the wheel slides onto) and expanded it by tapping a larger diameter sewing needle into it then placed it into the CVD joint and then flared out the ends using the same method with the needle. I repeated this process on the other side as well. Gave it 3 runs and so far everything is holding up. As for the pin used for the wheel, I just made my own with a brass nail and cut it eactly the same length as the other one. I know this one wont fall out as the wheel is definitely going to hold it into place. I just need to watch it when removing that wheel. This setup should work fine until I get new spring pins.

AquarianGuy78 06-21-2008 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

Im not fully understanding what the problem is. Sorry, I thought you meant the little spring in the output cups in the rear that help keep the dogbone from falling out.

Ahh...nope, not these but rather the ones that connect the rod to the axle.

heta peta 06-22-2008 12:21 AM

buy some pins from tower and then use permanent threadlock on them, they wont' budge at all!

AquarianGuy78 06-22-2008 12:26 AM

I saw a review of the ST Pro and noticed that it came with the same CVD's as the Evader Nitro...is it possible to use these on an electric ST? These would definitely solve this problem as they are cupped at the axle joint and have the setscrew already on them. If so, I'm going to order these right away! Also considering ordering a Venom Fireball 21T modified motor to have on hand for when the Photon Speed dies. But, I'm also toying with the idea of installing a Mamba Max system. All a matter of how much money I can pour into this beast.

heta peta 06-22-2008 12:44 AM

Go with the MM 5700....

AquarianGuy78 06-22-2008 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: heta peta

Go with the MM 5700....
Thats the system Ive been looking at. Can I use my NiMh packs with it as well as Lipo?

heta peta 06-22-2008 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: AquarianGuy78

Go with the MM 5700....
Thats the system Ive been looking at. Can I use my NiMh packs with it as well as Lipo?
Yes you can use both.

heta peta 06-22-2008 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: AquarianGuy78

Go with the MM 5700....
Yes you can use both.

Here is where i got my motors and esc's from. http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=40 And do some more research here. http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...cts_drive.html