RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   How do you maintain your NiMH Batteries? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8111873-how-do-you-maintain-your-nimh-batteries.html)

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 05:21 PM

How do you maintain your NiMH Batteries?

Just wondering what you guys do. I didnt have a discharger for a while and when I finally got someone to discharge my batteries peaked 800mAh before their rated capacity. So how many mAh and voltage are you getting if you have a discharger/Smart Tray or if you just charge , charge charge how many mAh and voltage do you get from your batteries? (I hope you let your batteries cool 2+ hours before recharging) How many amps do you charge your batteries at?

Always Dreamin 11-03-2008 05:24 PM

RE: How do you maintain your NiMH Batteries?

I remember...

On the thread, I run them, then I charge them. Run, charge, run charge, repeat as needed. My batteries have lasted me a couple of years.

guver 11-03-2008 05:29 PM

Never discharge, balance infrequently, store in any sod, charge fast right before using.

FoamyVictim 11-03-2008 05:43 PM

I always tray them before charging, so all the cells are equal to start. I store them with little or no charge in them, and only discharge at high amps when I'm cycling an old pack that's been sitting up for a long time.

kistner 11-03-2008 06:25 PM

I don't race so perfect batts is not a big concern for me. I have considered, but have not done it yet, to occasionally give them a slow charge on the wall wart.

warheadforever 11-03-2008 06:32 PM

I dist charger mine, at whatever my Mamba draws. LOL Then I charge them at 5 amps till they hit 110-115 degrees, then turn the amperage down to 3 amps, and charger them for 10-15 more minuets. I have done them this way, for the past 8 years, and mine are still going strong. (I do finish discharging my Ni-Cads though, before I re-charge them)

guver 11-03-2008 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a nice way to 4-step charge . lol.

Using the ice and a 4-step charge it is possible to get a fast charge , yet cool battery.

The only better way I've found is a gradual decrease in rate as the temp comes up.

racerj3 11-03-2008 08:23 PM

Discharge and Novak smart tray. After about a month of racing, then its all about the dead-shorting to keep them at peak.

Dale Gribble 11-03-2008 08:31 PM

Hmmm. I just set the ice to automatic charge/automatic discharge, 2 cycles and done for maintenance. Things always peak at or above their rated capacity. I can't say enough about the ICE charger, it is a good one.

Barber420 11-03-2008 09:13 PM

I just cycle mine occasionally on my MRC 977 with the discharge/charge functions and mine still work awesome.

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 09:15 PM

I am still laughing on how more people didnt even think they had to do maintain on nimh than people who have a discharger/equalizer.

racerj3 11-03-2008 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I am still laughing on how more people didnt even think they had to do maintain on nimh than people who have a discharger/equalizer.

you know you really shouldn't be all that surprised, battery maintenance isn't always talked about even when new people come into the hobby. And I'm sure its because most hobby shop people don't want to intimidate new comers with all this extra work they could be doing to keep there new investment in peak form.

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: racerj3

you know you really shouldn't be all that surprised, battery maintenance isn't always talked about even when new people come into the hobby. And I'm sure its because most hobby shop people don't want to intimidate new comers with all this extra work they could be doing to keep there new investment in peak form.
Well I see your point. But I still see alot of people who dont even let the batteries cool at all before you recharge them.

I let my batteries cool off 2+ hours before I recharge them and never charge my batteries (3300s and 4200s) over 5 amps and the batteries are matched and I only have 2400mAh on my gp3300s and 3600 on my ep4200s (I got the ep4200 from a pro who always cycled/trayed them) and I hear some people have their batteries for a couple years (I only have 40 runs on my batteries!!!!!) and dont have any problems with them. So I dont get what I am doing wrong. It looks like the Novak Smart Tray will help alot because on one of my batteries there is .89 volts per cell and the rest are 1.2-1.3 when discharged on a Integy 30 amp discharger and the cells are out of balance.

rclugnut10 11-03-2008 10:50 PM

do the same fore ep4200 and ib3800 discharge um on my mrc977 @4 amps (max) zap um @ 5 these packs were storted for like a month with a full charge (don't do that....) and they are only beginning to come back to full power, but before the storage, they peaked at like 8.5-9v 400mha over rated...

the lug

racerj3 11-03-2008 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: racerj3

Well I see your point. But I still see alot of people who dont even let the batteries cool at all before you recharge them.

I let my batteries cool off 2+ hours before I recharge them and never charge my batteries (3300s and 4200s) over 5 amps and the batteries are matched and I only have 2400mAh on my gp3300s and 3600 on my ep4200s (I got the ep4200 from a pro who always cycled/trayed them) and I hear some people have their batteries for a couple years (I only have 40 runs on my batteries!!!!!) and dont have any problems with them. So I dont get what I am doing wrong. It looks like the Novak Smart Tray will help alot because on one of my batteries there is .89 volts per cell and the rest are 1.2-1.3 when discharged on a Integy 30 amp discharger and the cells are out of balance.

You need to condition your batteries to run the way you want them too. thats why battery trays and dischargers are around, you need to get the pack used to how your going to use it. For some reason this seems especially important with the higher capacity cells, and they just seem to respond better with higher charge rates, I charge mine between 5.5 and 6 amps.

fusebmx13 11-03-2008 11:09 PM

Screw nimh. I use lipo, its basically the "brushless" of the battery world.

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

Nimh/brushed is as powerful/more powerful than brushless/lipo, it is just more maintence.

racerj3 11-03-2008 11:16 PM

Not to mention if you race many classes still require the use of nimh batteries.

fusebmx13 11-03-2008 11:18 PM

Yea i know this but its just way more worth it to get brushless/ lipo. Im not a racer but racing seems very fun. I have just messed around on a track before but i have to have brushless and lipo.

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 11:20 PM

I do not know of any tracks that still require brushed/nimh. Most of them follow ROAR rules.

Always Dreamin 11-03-2008 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

Nimh/brushed is as powerful/more powerful than brushless/lipo, it is just more maintence.
I love lipo as much as the next guy, but I'm not down on NiMh. Or brushed for that matter. For 2 years I've owned cars that are now considered slow. NiMh really doesn't have much going for it now, but there is a upside to everything. More weight means less wheelies, and better takeoff (in dirt). Still, Lipo and brushless IMO are basically superior. Brushless is more efficient, faster, cooler running, longer temperatures. only real downside is the price, but what can you expect, you get what you pay for.

i am planning on getting a Slash for Christmas, and i will be running it on gp3300 6 cells and the stock Titan. it will be waterproof, and it will be FUN!

Chris_RC 11-03-2008 11:32 PM

Well I dont know about brushless being faster. There are still some die hard nimh/brushed guyd and they seem to beat the brushless/lipo guys on the stirght by a foot or 2. It really comes down to driving.

Always Dreamin 11-03-2008 11:35 PM

Well I dont know about brushless being faster. There are still some die hard nimh/brushed guyd and they seem to beat the brushless/lipo guys on the stirght by a foot or 2. It really comes down to driving.
Not trying to start a war here. Not saying that it's not possible. But when you can go to the LHS and buy a 70 mph electric BRUSHLESS car, that says something. Brushed motors are alright, but the faster/more high performance ones need more work. brushless motors require just about 0 upkeep, and perform great. anything that can get more runtime, greater speeds, and is no work is good in my book.

but to really appreciate a good brushless setup, you need lipo. they are power hungry, and NiMh just doesn't really cut it.

Chris_RC 11-04-2008 12:25 AM

If I had the money I would have a brushless/lipo but I dont :(. It would be great to get rid of all my comm stuff like lathe, brushes, oils but for $250 I think I will wait.

I dont agree with needing lipo for a brushless setup. Get a great nimh battery like the Orion SHO 5300 cells and that will beat a crappy 2s lipo any day if maintained. Plus the lipo weight advantage isnt an advantage because people just add the weight of their nimh back on the battery.

So I could either get a Novak GTB/17.5 brushless motor for $250 and a Orion 3800 lipof and Novak LVC for $130 which =$380 OR just the stuff I have=FREE. With something that is soo close in perofmrnace, I will stay on the free side until I get some more money.

Offtopic to A.D:

You are only 30 minutes away from ocrc. (I google maped mission viejo to the address where ocrc is located) I would kill for living that close (I live over 2 hours away) Why dont you take the trip out there with your rustler or bandit 1 day and try it out. If you live within that distance to one of the best run rc facilties in the US and dont even go there, all I can say is...... http://smiliesftw.com/x/lolhit.gif

Always Dreamin 11-04-2008 12:30 AM

If I had the money I would have a brushless/lipo but I dont :(. It would be great to get rid of all my comm stuff like lathe, brushes, oils but for $250 I think I will wait.

I dont agree with needing lipo for a brushless setup. Get a great nimh battery like the Orion SHO 5300 cells and that will beat a crappy 2s lipo any day if maintained. Plus the lipo weight advantage isnt an advantage because people just add the weight of their nimh back on the battery.

So I could either get a Novak GTB/17.5 brushless motor for $250 and a Orion 3800 lipof and Novak LVC for $130 which =$380 OR just the stuff I have=FREE. With something that is soo close in perofmrnace, I will stay on the free side until I get some more money.

Offtopic to A.D:

You are only 30 minutes away from ocrc. (I google maped mission viejo to the address where ocrc is located) I would kill for living that close (I live over 2 hours away) Why dont you take the trip out there with your rustler or bandit 1 day and try it out. If you live within that distance to one of the best run rc facilties in the US and dont even go there, all I can say is...... http://smiliesftw.com/x/lolhit.gif
because then i would want a race truck. [:@]

i would like to try and get down there, but i keep on putting it off. what class could i race my brushless rustler/lipo in? \

yes, a nice NiMh isn't bad. like i said, they are fine, i used them for a long time. (I got my lipos and T2 charger for really cheap from Ryan)