RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Losi High Roller/Slider Trans hold up to brushless? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8154395-losi-high-roller-slider-trans-hold-up-brushless.html)

pede_187 11-16-2008 09:09 PM

Losi High Roller/Slider Trans hold up to brushless?

Hey, I'm planning to get the High Roller (same trans as 1/10 slider) for Christams and I was wondering if the transmission holds up to brushless?

Chris_RC 11-16-2008 11:20 PM

RE: Losi High Roller/Slider Trans hold up to brushless?

The gear diff for the Desert Truck holds up to BL. idk if it has the gear diff though.

04DarkShadowGT 11-17-2008 01:10 PM

The answer is sort of imo. The trans of a VXL Pede or a Firstorm are ALOT more forgiving than those in the DT and High Roller.

I had a Desert Truck and it was a great truck but I stripped two plastic trans gears on 3S and a mamba 5700. The slipper was setup properly and still had some issues. The parts are cheap to replace though.

pede_187 11-17-2008 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

The answer is sort of imo. The trans of a VXL Pede or a Firstorm are ALOT more forgiving than those in the DT and High Roller.

I had a Desert Truck and it was a great truck but I stripped two plastic trans gears on 3S and a mamba 5700. The slipper was setup properly and still had some issues. The parts are cheap to replace though.
I would probably only be running 6 cells, would that be ok?

DoubleDub 11-17-2008 03:41 PM

My 1/10 Slider lasted appx 8 minutes with a novak GTB and 3.5 brushless system in it and then the tranny said GRIND!!,I haven't taken it apart yet,but the spur and pinion are fine.

sheograth 11-17-2008 03:47 PM

The losi 1/10 off road transmission definitely shows weaknesses with brushless power - more so than the revised Traxxas VXL transmissions. I had a 1/10 Desert Truck, and tried various BL motors in it and they all strained the drive train to the point where things would break often.

pede_187 11-17-2008 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The losi 1/10 off road transmission definitely shows weaknesses with brushless power - more so than the revised Traxxas VXL transmissions. I had a 1/10 Desert Truck, and tried various BL motors in it and they all strained the drive train to the point where things would break often.
I just took a look at the manuals in the Desert Truck and the High Roller, and the transmissions don't even seem to be close. I don't think even one of the gears inside the case are the same. It is however the same transmission as the 1/10 slider. Does anyone have a slider and if so would they like to share this info?

[link=http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LosiDTmanual.pdf]Desert Truck Manual[/link]
[link=http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0103-Manual.pdf]High Roller Manual[/link]

929rog 11-20-2008 12:35 PM

I've had a DT rear diff in my XXXT mamba 7700 on Lipos since the day I could get one and have never had a problem. I also put one in a Speed T set for dirt on 3s and have not had any issues. I do run fluid in them... 7000w.

thewhitemule 11-24-2008 09:49 AM

To answer your question about the High Roller trans holding up to BL, NO WAY. I have a high roller with MM/5700kv, on 3s 4000mah lipo and I cannot keep the trans together. Also, as with my Muggy, the screws seem to be made from a soft grade of steel(prob tin/pewter) and after changing 3 sets of trans gears, the screws need to have a slot cut in them with a dremel/cutoff wheel to remove. VERY disappointed with Losi/Horizon. Everyone calls my rigs the TEAM LOSERS

Chris_RC 11-24-2008 10:07 AM

What wt. diff fluid are you running?

thewhitemule 11-24-2008 10:15 AM

no diff fluid at all. i do not believe it is a sealed trans. and there is no possible way the diff is sealed

Redvanmafia 11-24-2008 01:07 PM

if you bash, and by bash i mean any ammount of the time having the tires off the ground, plastic gears will not hold if somebody tells your diffrent its bs brushless and plastic gears dont go together

thewhitemule 11-24-2008 01:12 PM

even if your wheels stay on the ground, as mine have, the High Roller trans WILL NOT hold up to brushless. less than 3 minutes of runtime to prove it on all 3 sets of trans gears!

Chris_RC 11-24-2008 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

if you bash, and by bash i mean any ammount of the time having the tires off the ground, plastic gears will not hold if somebody tells your diffrent its bs brushless and plastic gears dont go together
Does the B4 have a PLASTIC transmission? YES, does it strip gear if you build it correctly? NO [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osoVH8HfOUc&feature=related[/link]

Does the XXX-CR have a plastic transmission? YES, does it strip gears if you build it correctly? NO, [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-bz8RJ4aA[/link]

And these are both BALL diffs. I have had 1 problem with my xxx-t diff and that is when I tightened it too much (paid $50 to get it built and in 10 runs, :().

Krazy Chicken 11-24-2008 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

tamiyas seem to hold up to brushless power pretty good, if built right

powerslider 11-24-2008 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: thewhitemule

even if your wheels stay on the ground, as mine have, the High Roller trans WILL NOT hold up to brushless. less than 3 minutes of runtime to prove it on all 3 sets of trans gears!
Try boiling (in water) the plastic gears that break for several minutes, that seems to make them less brittle and prone to breaking the teeth off. I blew the idler gear out of my DT in short order with the Xcelerin system on 2s with Gladiators in the grass. I boiled the replacement gear and so far after many runs it's held up to the abuse, maybe that will help you out too...

zevsone 12-17-2008 06:53 PM

i have a high roller and i can tel you it doesnt hold up to the brl system i just installed a mamba in it and one run and there went the gears would any one know if any onne is making gears yet for the slider and high roller yet

john01374 12-18-2008 09:15 AM

I looked at this truck at IHobbby and asked a few questions. As soon as they said it had plastic gears I said thanks for your time and walked away. Looks like that was the right decision. With all the trouble Losi is having with the Speed T and DT transmmissions you would think that someone would stop and think to put steel gears in a truck that is clearly aimed at the stampede.

thewhitemule 12-19-2008 12:36 AM

no luck on any type of metal gears so far as i know. i have given my HIGHroller to my little brother for christmas anyway so it is no longer a headache for me. i know it will last him a long time with the stock motor/esc combo and 6 cell nimh.

04DarkShadowGT 12-19-2008 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 929rog

I've had a DT rear diff in my XXXT mamba 7700 on Lipos since the day I could get one and have never had a problem. I also put one in a Speed T set for dirt on 3s and have not had any issues. I do run fluid in them... 7000w.
How did you put a DT diff in a speed t? The DT diff is considerably wider than the stock speed t one and it wont fit.

powerslider 12-19-2008 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: 929rog

You have to install the DT trans case for sure, don't know about other parts that might be required...

How did you put a DT diff in a speed t? The DT diff is considerably wider than the stock speed t one and it wont fit.

New_RC_Guy 01-08-2009 12:54 AM

Hmmm I am an excited newbie to the RC world and got a High Roller for x-mas. The LOSI exceleron system and lipo batts are the first two upgrades I had considered, however after reading your posts I am obviously slightly nervous lol. I have found through my research (and the servo saver bell crank that I snapped withing 45 minutes of opening the box HA HA) that the highroller and the slider seem to have several parts in common. Do they make an upgraded i.e. aluminum or sturdier tranny of some kind that I could use in place of the stock one to compensate for all the extra power?

P.S. I love the truck, a good friend of mine has a traxxas truggy which I have driven a little as well, and while that is obvously quicker then the high roller and handles better in turns I have had a blast with the High Roller and consider it to be a well built quality product. The fact that it will require some upgrade to handle a huge power increase such as the one I would like to add doesn't phase me a bit, honestly I expected to have to do some extra work to handle the power and look forward to work and knowledge that I know I'll pick up in doing so. I was looking for a hobby and I think what I found was a new love LOL.

Redvanmafia 01-08-2009 01:03 AM

thats good man, rc's are adictive!

powerslider 01-08-2009 05:58 PM

Run it and see what fails, if the idler gear strips boil the replacement in water for several minutes, this makes them less brittle and prone to shearing the teeth off. My boiled gear has held up fine so far in my DT with the 6400 Xcellerin system on 2s...

Chris_RC 01-08-2009 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: thewhitemule
VERY disappointed with Losi/Horizon. Everyone calls my rigs the TEAM LOSERS
Have you ever had a Losi RACER? If so, you wouldnt be calling them team losers. With the new 8T 2.0, and 8 2.0, Losi's are dominating!! Losi made these RTRs to make money to fund R&D for their race models, in which they just released.