RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8317384-evader-rustler-experienced-racer-looking-opinions.html)

Ken448 01-04-2009 12:54 PM

Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions!

Before this gets to a flame war, I want to make it clear what I am looking for. I am an experienced racer (25 years) and race a MF2 finishing consistently in the top 3 or 4 in A Mains each time I race. That said, I have little or no experience with Rustler or Evaders, and my sister wants me to get my nephew into racing, or at least some time on the track for around $200. My first thoughts were the Evader because you can get it RTR for about $130 Then I was looking at the Rustler and it can be bought for about $150.

He is a beginner (9 years old)
Full Bearings would be nice
Tires do not matter (this will be ran at an indoor carpet track, and stock tires will not be used)
Motor has little to do with decision (again, beginner, and will be running stock once he works his way out of beginner class)
Chassis tuneability will be important (toe, camber, ride height, shock pre-load etc)
Be nice to have a decent steering servo out of the box
Parts are not an issue, LHS carries both
HE will be using some of my old batteries to get him started, and my pit box for tools and other needs. (ie if he is there, I will be too)

Please, if you are going to state one or the other, list why? I dont want to get into "I own this, and its super duper radically awesome and you should too!" They dont want to spend $500 here because they need to know that he is going to enjoy racing on a track and not just bashing which is why he will not be running a Losi or Associated, that will come later. If you have a valid suggestion for another stadium truck, please list it!

kistner 01-04-2009 01:30 PM

RE: Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions!

what about the thunder tiger phoenix stadium trucks? based on the associated t3, priced around $100, seems like a perfect starter racer. http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TTR6539F41!1009

NjBasher 01-04-2009 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
even though i own a rustler and love my rustler would have to say the evader because it has more adjust ability. and the titan on the rustler is known for dying out even though mine hasn't yet and ive had mine for a year. my rustler is good only because i pumped lots of cash into it. id say just get the evader and get like a 23 tooth pinion gear and he will be set

Chris_RC 01-04-2009 02:19 PM

Have you ever looked at the HPI E-Firestorm? Durable, race oriented components like shocks as you can upgrade them to threaded aluminum shocks, etc. Alot of people seem to like them. When I was at my track there was a kid with an E-Firestorm and it actually looked like it had some potential.

BTW: Nice truck you got there!! Look at my signature! VVVV

DARKWAV 01-04-2009 02:28 PM

I understand the Evader to be an entry level racer vs the Rustler which starts out as a street basher. I think I would run it pretty much as-is without upgrading it too much especially since you might end up replacing the entire truck if your nephew stick with racing.

SlashBasher 01-04-2009 04:34 PM

I agree with Chris, Spend $180 and be set for a while.;)

nitrozach54 01-04-2009 04:49 PM

The evader ST has all the adjust ability a beginner will need, and it is more oriented to racing than the rustler.

FairTax4me 01-04-2009 05:50 PM

Between the two Id pick the Evader for racing. The Rustler is just not a capable race truck without a LOT of work.

RC_Basher20 01-04-2009 05:55 PM

Just throwing it in
How about a slash?

FairTax4me 01-04-2009 06:28 PM

If they have a stock slash class then it would be great except for the price. He wants to go to the track for close to 200. The slash is 200 by itself, then you gotta buy batteries and a charger.

Ken448 01-04-2009 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RC_Basher20

Just throwing it in
How about a slash?
there is no beginner slash class. Whole reason he will be in the Stadium class is there is a beginner class, and usually through F mains where I race, so the talent is deep and there are many levels to compete at.

Thanks for the input guys!

ScottStaypuff 01-04-2009 10:25 PM

I have no experience with the Rustler so I can't comment on it other than its durable and more of a basher.

I have an Evader ST and it seems to handle ok, I've only ever raced twice though. I recently added a brushless Sidewinder 5700 combo and did the "B2" diff upgrade. I still ended up melting down the diff this weekend. Its probably my fault for leaving it too loose. (I also melted the spur gear). However ball diffs are temperamental and the Evader tranny will be iffy with a hot motor, especially brushless. It'll probably be fine with a stock motor (a wimpy 19 turn) or any stock 27 turn or brushless 27 turn equivalent. The chassis parts seem to hold up ok but again with brushless power. My question is will somebody with experience be around to help adjust the ball diff and spur gear and will a hot brushless ever be considered? Both are sticky points with the Evader. Also the Evader design is getting a little long in the tooth now to be a competive racer IMO.

Anhow if you made it through all that, I'd say take a long look at the HPI E-Firestorm as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Its been mentioned that the durability is great (like the Rustler) and its got all steel gears and a planetary diff for strength and easy maintenance. On the other hand the chassis layout is much closer to the new Losi and Associated trucks and it has lots of adjustments for racing. My vote probably goes to it! Seems to be the answer for a basher/racer with potential to handle lots of power reliably. I'm considering one. :)

chippythekid 01-04-2009 11:07 PM

I don't know a lot about The Evader however the Rusty would be a good beginner car, its very tough, upgradeable and reliable.

Ken448 01-04-2009 11:09 PM

thanks for the inputs guys, my sister picked him up an Evader EP from Tower. He should be going to the track with me on Sat.

nitrozach54 01-04-2009 11:14 PM

good choice!

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Ken448 01-04-2009 11:17 PM

yah, Id have looked more into the HPI, but the shop doesnt support them much (only the Savage line) so that was out.

nitrozach54 01-04-2009 11:21 PM

Where I live, there are NO real hobby shops, so when I break a part, no RC for a week =(

chippythekid 01-04-2009 11:21 PM

Cool, it's nice to see adults supporting newcomers to the hobby. I know my parents don't much care for my RC hobby and they think it's a waste.

Ken448 01-04-2009 11:23 PM

my dad got me into it as a youngin as a supplement to summer's Motocross racing. YEARS later, I still race in the summer (drag racing now) and play with my RC's in the winter!

nitrozach54 01-04-2009 11:27 PM

yeah, everytime I ask to use my dads credit card to make an order from tower (he uses the card i pay him cash)
He always rants about what a waste of time and money it is and that I shoukd grow up and stop playing with toys.
Once a kid, always a kid.
that should be my sig....

ScottStaypuff 01-04-2009 11:29 PM

Good luck with the truck, I'm sure he'll love it and have a great time racing.

fusebmx13 01-05-2009 12:46 AM

Yea i was really really close to getting an e firestorn but my hobby shop does not have parts for it so i would have to order it. I thought no big deal so for the heck of it i ordered some parts for my little hpi drifter. It took over a week to get in so i changed my mind on that truck haha. It looks like a solid truck though.

caseyddr 01-05-2009 03:28 AM

Question Kent, why didn't you just buy him a used setup for about the same price and got something a bit better? My parents got me in around the age of 6 or 7, and ever since then when I promote RC to people's kids or family or anything of the sort, I always suggest a reliable used machine as a viable option. With you around, they could have had that.

Just curious, don't take it as a rude remark! We are both old timers here :D

As for support, I just recently got back into the hobby after about 4-5 years out of it, and it was because of my Grandma (hah) encouraging me to get back in. 500$ later.... I'm back :D

NjBasher 01-05-2009 06:57 AM

yeah my dad got me into it when i was in the 6th grade he got me a super hornet. 4 yrs later im here and my dad always like helping me and answering my questions

Ken448 01-05-2009 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

Question Kent, why didn't you just buy him a used setup for about the same price and got something a bit better? My parents got me in around the age of 6 or 7, and ever since then when I promote RC to people's kids or family or anything of the sort, I always suggest a reliable used machine as a viable option. With you around, they could have had that.

Just curious, don't take it as a rude remark! We are both old timers here :D

As for support, I just recently got back into the hobby after about 4-5 years out of it, and it was because of my Grandma (hah) encouraging me to get back in. 500$ later.... I'm back :D

Its KEN

As for buying used, I didnt want to have to deal with someone shipping and possibly scamming my sister (she's not the most intelligent type when it comes to buying on line) Id have to spend A LOT more time doing the legwork, and finding that perfect deal. It would most likely need a new motor when it arrived etc etc etc. He is IN the hobby for under $200 with a pretty capable car, and the correct tires needed for the track. I may just race with it to show him that its not anything but capable. That said, I DID browse through the ads here but not too many Losi vehicles available at this time. MF2 rollers sell for about $100, then Id still need Radio, ESC, motor, servo, and wheels/tires. WELL over the $200 budget!