RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   High voltage single motor ESC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8374360-high-voltage-single-motor-esc.html)

FairTax4me 01-18-2009 11:27 PM

High voltage single motor ESC

Ive got another hairbrained idea running through my head. I'm looking at high voltage brushed ESCs, but it seems like all of them are dual motor ESCs. Is it possible to hook up just a single motor to a dual motor ESC?

overrev 01-18-2009 11:40 PM

RE: High voltage single motor ESC

How much voltage do you want to run.

FairTax4me 01-18-2009 11:57 PM

At least 14v, but possibly up to 20 or higher.

chippythekid 01-19-2009 12:03 AM

Thas gonna get hot... fast. You building your own batteries?

FairTax4me 01-19-2009 12:16 AM

I could, but its not hard to make a Y harness to connect two 6 or 7 cell packs in parallel.
All the ESCs I can find have two battery connectors though, so that wouldn't be necessary.

I just need to know if I can connect only one motor to a dual motor ESC like the Traxxas EVX2 or Novak Super Duty XR.

overrev 01-19-2009 12:36 AM

The traxxas esc. will work someone at the hobby shop I go to had one running a single brushed motor in a revo on 14.8 volts.

shaunmichaeljohnson 01-19-2009 03:30 AM

castle creations make the HV series of speed controllers.
look up the castle HV-110...will take up to 90 volts (REAL high voltage, not a wimpy little 16.8v!!) and 110 amps burst:D;)

overrev 01-19-2009 10:23 AM

That is a brushless controller for a plane,not a brushed and it only 50 volts.

Wild YFZ 450 01-19-2009 12:57 PM

Brushless ESC's can run Brushed motors.. And you must be looking at the wrong one because there is one up to 90 volts...

MadManAndrew 01-19-2009 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Ive got another hairbrained idea running through my head. I'm looking at high voltage brushed ESCs, but it seems like all of them are dual motor ESCs. Is it possible to hook up just a single motor to a dual motor ESC?
The Mamba Monster Max is a single motor up to 25v ESC...[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVHA5&P=ML]Here it is[/link]

Druss 01-19-2009 02:19 PM

I could, but its not hard to make a Y harness to connect two 6 or 7 cell packs in parallel.
All the ESCs I can find have two battery connectors though, so that wouldn't be necessary.

I just need to know if I can connect only one motor to a dual motor ESC like the Traxxas EVX2 or Novak Super Duty XR.
To double the voltage you'd need to put them in series.

dbigfoot111 01-19-2009 03:01 PM

what is esc?

Metallover 01-19-2009 03:54 PM

Mamba max will work if you disable the bec...

kahnen 01-19-2009 05:05 PM

Yes you can run a single motor on one of the dual motor esc. Hook up both positive leads from the the esc to the motor's positive side and both negative esc leads to the motor's negative side.

Or if you don't want to do the soldering, you can just hook up one set of leads and tape/heatshrink/whatever to secure the other set that isn't hooked up from shorting out on something.

Metallover 01-19-2009 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: kahnen

Yes you can run a single motor on one of the dual motor esc. Hook up both positive leads from the the esc to the motor's positive side and both negative esc leads to the motor's negative side.

Or if you don't want to do the soldering, you can just hook up one set of leads and tape/heatshrink/whatever to secure the other set that isn't hooked up from shorting out on something.
Yes. Just because it is a dual motor esc doesn't you need two motors.

FairTax4me 01-19-2009 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Druss

To double the voltage you'd need to put them in series.
[:@][&:]DOH!!! That's what I meant. :D That's what I get for asking stupid questions when I should be sleeping.

what is esc?
Electronic Speed Control

RC_Basher20 01-19-2009 06:26 PM

http://teamtekin.com/rx8.html

FairTax4me 01-19-2009 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: RC_Basher20

http://teamtekin.com/rx8.html
That would be nice, except it isn't out yet, and I'm sure it'll cost a fortune. Probably worth every penny, but I think I'll try to find something cheaper to do my testing with. :)

castle creations make the HV series of speed controllers.
look up the castle HV-110...will take up to 90 volts (REAL high voltage, not a wimpy little 16.8v!!) and 110 amps burst
That's freakin crazy. What do you do, use a vacuum cleaner motor with it?

FairTax4me 01-19-2009 09:54 PM

I think Ill try to find an EVX2 for the cheap on the Bay. They seem to be the cheapest ones and most common from all that I've searched.

dbigfoot111 01-19-2009 10:10 PM

what is the advantage of ESC ? other than a normal ones?

Metallover 01-19-2009 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

what is the advantage of ESC ? other than a normal ones?
Every speed controller on every electric vehicle is an esc. All electric vehicles have an esc.

FairTax4me 01-19-2009 10:44 PM

Some electric cars still come with mechanical speed controllers, but they're not very common anymore.
The advantage to an ESC is that you get more precise throttle control and better energy efficiency. Mechanical speed controls rely on several resistors to change the amount of voltage supplied to the motor which determines how fast the motor spins. Usually there are only two or three resistors so you only get 3 or 4 motor speeds.
An ESC is much more complex, and delivers thousands of small pulses of the full voltage to the motor to control speed. The more pulses the ESC sends, the faster the motor turns. There are usually about 250 points in an ESCs throttle curve, meaning that as you pull the throttle trigger the ESC increases the amount of pulses it sends to the motor 250 times. This gives much more precise control over motor speed, making the car easier to drive.

dbigfoot111 01-19-2009 11:28 PM

thank you very much i really learn alot in here.
now i need to learn more about the batteries haha batteries are pretty confusing.:)

MadManAndrew 01-20-2009 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

what is esc?
Electronic Speed Control

overrev 01-22-2009 06:21 PM

Talk to my friend at the lhs he told me you only need to to connected one set of motor wires on the evx2 because the both have 14.4 volts going to them,he has done single motors for a few people.