RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   How Long Do Brushless Motors Last? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8391975-how-long-do-brushless-motors-last.html)

SacramentoJoe 01-23-2009 01:20 PM

How Long Do Brushless Motors Last?

How long should I expect a brushless system (specifically the motor) to last? What wears out on them? If I don’t overheat it, or smash it in a wreck, can it last years? What other causes has anyone experienced to need to replace a brushless motor and what type was it?

sheograth 01-23-2009 01:23 PM

RE: How Long Do Brushless Motors Last?

They can last very, very long if kept within their performance specs and not physically abused.

eaterofdog 01-23-2009 01:29 PM

Just keep an eye out and when the motor starts getting hotter than usual, replace the bearings. The bearings wear out, but if you replace them before the motor/esc overheats it's not a problem.

NovakTwo 01-23-2009 04:16 PM

Some Novak customers are still running our original BL motors-the 4300 and 5800. Users have updated them with new sintered rotors and endbells, but they are still running strong.

All of the BL motors we have ever released can be updated to the newest Velocity/SSPro standards by the user.

In addition, we offer a comprehensive service replacement/exchange program for our products, including all of our BL motors.

SacramentoJoe 01-23-2009 09:04 PM

So will say.... a... Castle Creation Brushless outlast my vehicles? If I get one, will it be the system I want (and be still in shape to) to install in any/all future vehicles?

I really desire to get my money's worth out of my investments on this relatively new hobby, (which is tugging at my pocketbook).

My approach is that big fun does not neccessarily mean big dollars, but VALUE is what counts.

Wild YFZ 450 01-23-2009 09:33 PM

Honestly Brushless is way worth it.. Way more efficent, Faster, And you will get longer run times... It would be 100% worth your money as long as your picking a relatively mild setup.. Not a crazy neu motor or something along those lines.. You should be fine with one of the Novak or CC combos.. Also if your running it in a Lighter car you can ever get the Castle creations Sidewinder wich is pretty cheap and rather good.. Alot of tuning options.. Along with the Mamba max..
Btw you name is Joe yet you have a pocketbook? Im not judging :)

FairTax4me 01-23-2009 10:07 PM

BL motors will pretty much last indefinitely as long as they don't get cooked, and you replace the bearings from time to time. There are no parts inside that should ever need to be replaced, unless you manage to break a rotor or something.

The Collector1 01-23-2009 10:10 PM

My Novak 3.5 is still going strong like I just bought it and its almost 2yrs old

aftermarket 01-24-2009 12:29 AM

Brushless systems, if cared for properly (I.E. watching the temperatures, no impacts, etc...) should last longer than your rc! And they will be durable enough to switch between vehicles, that's for sure!

SAVAGEJIM 01-24-2009 02:19 AM

I too want brushless, I just last week built a Tamiya LunchBox kit, and since I basically spent nearly everyday indoors, my LB has been my only form of RC entertainmet. (Rockcrawling on hills and stuff made from household goods like sofa cushons, shoes, books, boxes, etc. is actually quite fun! Im very surprised what the LB can do.)

I lost count of how many times I recharged the 1800mAh 6cell stick batt, but I am not surpriesed that I could already have no less than 50,000mah of capacity put through the stock Taimiya brushed motor. (One night, I had 3 sticks going in rotation! When I ran down one, I threw it on the charger and busted out another stick!)
I am an absolute noob to electrics, but I noticed the motor is already not running like it did last week when it was brand new. I am seriously contemplating dowing someting as silly as getting a brushless motor and LiPo batts (no less than 5K mAh) and throw those into my LB!

So, if my motor is losing its performance because the brushes are already worn out, I'm screwed, I dont have a lathe to cut the comutator.

rschoi_75 01-24-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: NovakTwo

Some Novak customers are still running our original BL motors-the 4300 and 5800. Users have updated them with new sintered rotors and endbells, but they are still running strong.

All of the BL motors we have ever released can be updated to the newest Velocity/SSPro standards by the user.

In addition, we offer a comprehensive service replacement/exchange program for our products, including all of our BL motors.
I bought a Novak SS4300 in 2006 and its stick alive and kicking. No sintered rotor either.

My first CC mamba 25 system bought in 2005 is also going strong as well. I'm very glad I bought these bl systems... and have bought quite a few more since then.

SlashBasher 01-24-2009 06:07 PM

They are very worth it and will out last your RC is cared for. Keep them dry, cool, and no impacts and you will be oh so please:D:)

SacramentoJoe 01-25-2009 10:36 AM

Well, I am pretty much convinced it will be worth it then. I still have some concerns with glitching with my stock electronics but I guess I should just try it and see. I am considering the CC SW 4600.

Btw you name is Joe yet you have a pocketbook? Im not judging
Why wouldn't a guy named Joe have a pocketbook? Think about it, pocketbbook is wallet in old-fart terms. :eek:

Budget Monty 01-25-2009 06:29 PM

I probably would have purchased brushless by now if I had a clue what the turn counts actually equated to compared to a brushed motor. I really want something camparable to a 15T brushed motor, but have no idea what turn count to get, and keep finding varied info. I am suprised that the companies offering brushless dont give you a comparison of what equals what. It's a lot of money to spend to have no idea what you are really getting.

Access 01-25-2009 11:01 PM

B'cos it's hard to compare, you can't really equate between the two. Brushless has a lot more range of gearing and speeds, whereas brushed was pretty picky and needed to be geared within a tooth or two of what it was designed for.

Novak2 01-26-2009 01:07 PM

Depends how you define "last".

We offer a non-warranty exchange/replacement program so that you can return any motor and replace it for about 40% of the price of a new motor. You can also exchange it for a different wind motor. We even include our discontinued motors (and old escs) in the service programs

exceedbuggy22 01-28-2009 05:54 PM

i have an 1/10th exceed buggy and im wanting to swap it over to a brushless system. what would be one of the best and fastest motors and esc kit to put in it??

redfisher1974 01-29-2009 01:48 AM

ORIGINAL: exceedbuggy22

i have an 1/10th exceed buggy and im wanting to swap it over to a brushless system. what would be one of the best and fastest motors and esc kit to put in it??
Not ragging on you...But why is it when someone is looking for a new setup it has to be the "best" and the "fastest" Most people dont own the fastest car or the best house etc...never mind i just find it odd that (not you above) everyone has to own the fastest or best rc....ok im done sorry for ranting:D

Lilredmachine 01-29-2009 11:45 AM

It depends how you treat them and how good the motor is. Much like brushed.

A Feigao may not last long for example, the bearings fail, or the end bell comes off, throwing the alignment and trashing the magnets. A decent motor from a reputable company will last many years and give consistent performance over and over.

I probably would have purchased brushless by now if I had a clue what the turn counts actually equated to compared to a brushed motor. I really want something camparable to a 15T brushed motor
A Traxxas Velineon 3500kv motor is equivelant to a very efficient 19t at 7.2v to give you a starting point. Both will give you around 3500kv or 25000 rpm unloaded at 7.2v. A 15t will give about 4000kv.

Most of the advantage in brushless comes from increased torque and ability to take higher voltage. A lot of the fastest motors are low kv, high voltage motors that will pull a chassis around whilst geared to the moon.

Redvanmafia 01-29-2009 12:26 PM

My 4600 on 2's is great its lasted about 8 months now, no signs of wear and tear its been ran hard and just keeps going

SacramentoJoe 01-30-2009 12:32 AM

Well, we'll see how the CCSW 4600 holds up. Installed it today. Don't want to be the fastest, just want to be the one that is always out there driving!