RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   What's a good brushless system for Slash? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8477610-whats-good-brushless-system-slash.html)

samguan 02-14-2009 10:02 PM

What's a good brushless system for Slash?

The stock Slash is running pretty slow...

SlashBasher 02-14-2009 10:07 PM

RE: How to make Slash go faster without brushless?

A faster brushed. The team checkpoint mony motor(19t) is good or the trinity speedgems are good too.

samguan 02-14-2009 10:09 PM

RE: What's a good brushless system for Slash?

sorry, i changed my mind now.... what's a decent brushless system for Slash that would give me some speed & torque..

nitroade 02-14-2009 10:11 PM

I'm running the Velineon system on 3S lipo and the truck absolutely flies. Nice thing about the Velineon is that it just bolts in, no fuss at all.

Budget Monty 02-14-2009 10:14 PM

Mamba Sidewinder/5700Kv combo.

samguan 02-14-2009 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: nitroade

I'm running the Velineon system on 3S lipo and the truck absolutely flies. Nice thing about the Velineon is that it just bolts in, no fuss at all.
is the ESC waterproof? what's the KV rating..

nitroade 02-14-2009 10:31 PM

The Velineon ESC is not waterproof, not sure if any brushless systems are. The motor is 3500 kv.

wwnh 02-14-2009 10:33 PM

The velineon is not water proof and is a 3500 kv (10 turn).

SlashBasher 02-14-2009 10:48 PM

the esc is "splash proof" but the motor isnt:eek:

Druss 02-14-2009 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: oday1395

the esc is "splash proof" but the motor isnt:eek:
why wouldn't the motor be? I've run my brushless wet before with no issues. i think someone even had a thread on here about the "myth" of not allowing brushless motors wet. I completely agree that the escs are not water proof.

samguan 02-14-2009 10:54 PM

i like running Slash in the mud, I guess Brushless is not for me then... What's a good brushed motor that will give me more speed than the stock motor?

speedtrash 02-14-2009 11:16 PM

ive got a mamba max 7700 in mine and while i cant get it too wet i do have a good time pullin wheelies at 40mph driving with the wind and if youre not careful you can turn it over onto its lid. so come to think of it im sure my slash does get a little wet. but now i read the traxxas bandit is boasting 70+ mph with a vxl brushless waterproof setup. no joke. i found a bandit vxl waterproof for $220. on the net. i might pick one up soon. you could get that system for your ride though, and i think it might have the same mounting holes as your stock xl-5. but that doesnt allow you the tuning abilities that you have with the mamba max. i can hook mine up to my lap top and program everything from throttle curve to starting motor power. cant beat it.

franzcars 02-14-2009 11:32 PM

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTRX9&P=0]heres a waterproof brushless[/link]

rich64 02-15-2009 08:57 AM

Is it realy waterproof or is that a typo ? I checked AE's site and didn't see where it says it's waterproof. Would be nice if it were.

franzcars 02-15-2009 09:35 AM

it syas water proof here.[link=http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=lrp80150&category=6005jxxx xx]lrp's site thing[/link]

Willystylz 02-15-2009 09:56 AM

yeah and i have the exact same lrp speedo and the manual says "waterproof"

speedtrash 02-15-2009 10:37 AM

that esc specs look kinda low i read 4.8 to 8.4 volts on it which means(unless im mistaken) it can only handle 2 cell lipos find out how fast that thing goes before picking it up i think the vxl might be a better waterproof set-up. either way id go mamba max 7700kv. more power than the slash can handle!

and i know that mamba has an option to run brushed motors as well as brushless, two different settings matter of fact. one is normal power, and the other routs the positive on the motor directly to the positive on the battery.

samguan 02-15-2009 10:39 AM

right now my Slash feels lack of power...but if brushed motor can give me extra punch, I'II go with brushed.

speedtrash 02-15-2009 10:58 AM

sam if your post was in response to mine. the brushless motor will give you the best performance possible but if you had to run brushed theres a way to add more power than the normal hookup. brushless is the way to go. if you feel sluggish and are running brushless what set up are you running? esc, motor and battery specs?

stampedinIT 02-15-2009 11:22 AM

yeah man brushless is the way to go. i run my brushless slash on a 7cell batery and it moves. some times i take the 8 cell out of my stampede and put it in there. i have another vxl brushless setup in the box. i want $130 shipped for it. pm me if your interested it. i took it out of the box, hooked up to a duratrax evader. went outside and ran it, came back inside and unhooked it and put it back in the box. i hate the evader!

redfisher1974 02-15-2009 11:25 AM

either way id go mamba max 7700kv. more power than the slash can handle!
So why does that make it a good choice? Seems like a oxymoron no?

deanR 02-15-2009 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

And that might run hot in a slash, its a heavy truck. I would go no higher than 5700 in a slash.

ramp4ge 02-15-2009 04:59 PM

The VXL is a perfect mate for the Slash. It's still got lots of great wheelspinning torque for lots of the drift/slide action that makes the Slash so much fun to begin with, and it does bolt right in. I had my VXL system in in under 10 minutes..it really is that easy. I'm running an 8.4v 7-cell (Until Thunderpower's 3S is actually available. >_>) and it's perfect. It really is *too much* power for the truck...I can't wait for the 3S!

But yeah. The ESC is splashproof, not waterproof. Meaning it can take splashes, running in rain, snow, etc, but don't submerge it.

So VXL with the kit-provided 23-tooth pinion, to me, is the perfect combo.

speedtrash 02-15-2009 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

thats what i run and am very pleased with the tuning options. you dont get that with the vxl but the mamba max is not waterproof. if you check out castlecreations.com you can check out what the mamba max is capable of and compare that to anything else on the market. mamba is the way to go.

but as stated above if you really must get wet then id go vxl. have you ever ran a slash through the water though? doesnt do very well no matter what tires you have. and lipo batteries cant get wet, unless they have watrproof lipo's im unaware of.

speedtrash 02-15-2009 08:28 PM

oh and the 70mph vxl is more than the slash can handle too. they flip at about 40mph. but you gear low enough and you wouldnt believe how fast she accelerates. nothing but wheelie popping action all the way down the throttle band. not to mention its the cream of the brushless crop. if you wanted to go all out hardcore (non-waterproof) slash then mamba max is it. i wanna get their new 9000kv motor for mine.