RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   suggestions for motors for my E Maxx? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8506775-suggestions-motors-my-e-maxx.html)

titaniummamba 02-22-2009 08:02 PM

suggestions for motors for my E Maxx?

just got a used e maxx has the old novak 14.4 volt esc and 550 titan monsters in it but just want more power/speed any suggestions for new brushed motors ?

evader8 02-22-2009 08:45 PM

RE: suggestions for motors for my E Maxx?

try out a low turn trinity engine if ur esc can take it.

Matt_Gruizinga 02-22-2009 09:01 PM

have you looked at kershawdesigns stuff? they make a dual 970 motor kit for the 14.4v emaxx for $80+S&h or a dual 700 kit for 70+S&H, they also have a single 970 kit for $60+S&H, (Includes mounting for dual 970's) but don't forget about the dual 650 kit coming soon (4/15) $50+S&H. the 650's give a little more torque and about 1-2 more mph. if i were you i would get the single 970, see how you like it then maybe later go for dual. or just go balls out and start with dual, then if it is too much for you take one off.

he claims the dual 970's will do 45+ and the dual 700's will do 38+ (most likely with big money lipos)

i will be getting a dual 970 kit for my summit after i get it, 20mph is just a tad to low if you know what i mean

FairTax4me 02-23-2009 07:16 PM

try out a low turn trinity engine if ur esc can take it.
The E maxx is too much truck for a low turn motor. And Trinity motors really aren't that great anyway.

You could try a set of Checkpoint Money motors, but the KD setups cost less and will give you better power and less headache in the long run. A single KD 700 HO motor has more power than the two stock titans combined. Duals will get you close to 40mph.

eatmyveg 02-26-2009 11:05 AM

Yeah, it all depends on whether you want to go brushless or not. If you want to stay brushed, i would seriously consider the dual kershaw 700-HO as the are cheap and pretty dam good. If you want to go brushless and you are willing to pay the money, then i suggest the Novak HV 4.5/5.5/6.5 motor and the ESC that comes in the package.

Do not go brushless if you do not want to spend alot of money, going brushless has cost me around £400, without lipos. But in the long run they are better, more efficient and practically maintenance free. But you can go brushed with the dual kershaws for alot less and get the same (using the word same VERY lightly) performance roughly as a brushless set up. Just be prepared in the future to go brushless.

Hope this helps,
Dan.

Racing T 02-26-2009 11:15 AM

if you don't decide to go brushless, just get a single Kershaw Desings 700ho motor, I have one on my E-revo and have been nothing but pleased. hope it helps.

Slo-V Flyer 02-26-2009 02:36 PM

I'm not sure what you are including in your cost of 400 pounds to go brushless. For me, it was a matter of upgrading the drive shafts (rear axles and rear center shaft mostly) and rear metal bulkheads. Those parts I needed anyway, because in stock form, those would snap from good batteries.

Ok so for brushless, I use a Mamba Max (not the MMM) ESC ($125?) and Feigao 7XL motor ($60-$70) and 5mm shaft sized pinion for the motor ($13?). I use a 3s lipo (11.1v) no mods necessary to motor or ESC with that one. More than stock power, and runtimes.

You can use 12-14 cells or4s lipo (14+ volts) with that setup, but you will need an external BEC for your radio and servos. BTW I'll recommend using a better radio (always a good idea anyway) with brushless as that can remove some of the glitching that can happen. I use a Futaba 2ch FM radio ($90).

Lilredmachine 02-26-2009 05:41 PM

Ignore...

Lilredmachine 02-26-2009 05:43 PM

He's in the UK. Factor in markups/shipping/customs (I was once charged £100 to bring in a custom E-maxx)...

A humble VXL system over here is £175...