RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   anyone ever upgrade a NIKKO buggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/855073-anyone-ever-upgrade-nikko-buggy.html)

MAD MATT 06-11-2003 11:47 PM

anyone ever upgrade a NIKKO buggy

Anyone ever try to upgrade the motor in a NIKKO buggy I have a super octane that i would like try to hop up but i cant get the rims off to get the motor out. Can anyone help?? Thank you

speenair 06-12-2003 12:27 AM

Hey i have a nikko truck and i have had the similar problem when trying to access the gearbox. In my opinion it is not worth it. The only way to access the engine is to get someone to bend the wheel while you get it out. These rcs are not meant to be hoped up. On my truck the engine is very tiny compared to my electric off road truck. I don't think a differnet engine would fit. Even if you got it on it would just do wheelies constantly. I still play with my nikko periodically but would never spend money hoping it up. Just my opinion. Do you have any other rc's?

MAD MATT 06-12-2003 12:49 AM

Thanks for the help i fly electric planes the buggy is my sons and it is very nice just not very fast it looks like about a 400 size motor and every thing comes apart if i could just get one rim off the rest would unscrew and a cobalt motor might make it more fun. It looks like they press fit the rims or something d-mit.

geoboy 06-14-2003 12:30 PM

would a micro motor fit??

speenair 06-14-2003 06:05 PM

probably would fit but good luck trying to get the old one out. And if you are sucessful it will just do wheelies the whole timecuz it has too much power. My advice leave toy rc's alone just spend money upgrading real rc's

shadowedkilla 06-14-2003 08:33 PM

ive messed around with this A LOT and all i can say is the engine is not what you will have problems with, its getting the REST of the electronics to work with that engine. usually on nikko cars they have those like rivited rims which like you said are impossible to get off however, the car should come apart into pieces to where that whole axel can almost be removed. the other problem you might run into is that they use wierd gears and since yould would have to use staock gears it might be a bit challenging.

T3Guy 06-27-2003 03:35 AM

At christmas i got a carnivore 4x4 truck from radioshack played with it for a while took out the rear dog bones to make it front wheel drive and the tires would not hook up for nothing then after a couple days like that I broke a front dogbone but after that i ran it rear wheel drive then i got a little tired of it so after a couple months i took out the motor and put in a 15x2 and it would make it haul @$$ for radioshack truck and before i good get it over to the mud hole the electronics fried I was ticked off. :mad: :angry: :boxing:

Concoursetegra 06-29-2003 03:32 AM

Nikko had a hobby grade car before, It was a viper. I have to say i was very pleased with it.I could change the body, the wheels and i even replaced the motor. IT lost a lot radio reception but it was faster, i even put super nitro wheels on it and it flew.

MAD MATT 06-29-2003 09:20 PM

Thanks for all your replys. Love this site!!!

marquette 07-07-2003 12:47 PM

im trying to upgrade my nikko harley davison F-150

IBRC 08-09-2003 02:36 AM

I have a Nikko Viper GTS-R and a Nikko Jeep Wrangler. The Viper can be and was meant to be upgraded. I upgraded the motor, the wheels with radial tires instead of slicks and a bearing set for the wheels. The Jeep on the other hand was not meant to be upgraded, although I messed around with it a little bit. It is my sons, so I didn't want to tear it apart and not have it work. I couldn't get the wheel off, but I could get the motor out. It is like a 380 or something. What I did was drilled a small hole in the rim from the the side where the motor screws are located and put the screwdriver through the hole unscrewed the casing for the motor, it was tricky but it worked. The pinion gears are pressed on, so you have to get another gear for your LHS, it might be a tough match. I didn't go much further than that, I was just curious to see what was in there. When I buy my son a new R/C car, I will use the jeep for an experiment. It is actually not a bad vehicle for a kid. I did own the 1/8 octane buggy, but it was to big and heavy for the motor and returned it. I am very happy with the viper though, it goes about 25 to 28mph, the transmitter is a little chintzy, but it does have removable crystals and trim controls for throttle and steering, also reversible for left handed drivers.

patparsons03 08-09-2003 03:11 AM

I have a Radio Shack Avalanche and is easy to hop up but it takes a lot of time get into it,I dont like nikkos it really hard to get to the gear box they have these metal bars that dont allow you to get in it,that sucks,I would just get a car that meant to be hopped up save you a lot of time

ferrari_turtle 08-09-2003 05:43 AM

If you guys r talking about really crappy £50 cars from Argos (I dunno if they have Argos in america) or Radioshack then why not try wiring in two extra AA batteries. I had a little crappy Nikko car that hardly moved it was so slow. When i increased the battery power it went pretty fast (8 -9 mph (jogging/running speed))which seems quite fast as before it did 3 mph (walking speed)

sugabwoy929 08-09-2003 03:51 PM

i have a radio shack black hawk ne1 wun got ne ideas on how i can make it faster?

patparsons03 08-09-2003 11:58 PM

Buy a good speed control and motor

Daverr 01-07-2015 08:24 AM

I have one and put a traxxas vxl 3s in it its a blast now I c azn ride a wheely for a block