RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Question about Value. Tamiya Madbull (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8988857-question-about-value-tamiya-madbull.html)

john01374 08-04-2009 08:53 AM

Question about Value. Tamiya Madbull

Here's one i'm sure you guys haven't thought about in a while. I stumbled across a Tamiya Madbull new in the box. Never assembled etc etc. It's all there and in the original packaging. I picked it up for what I think is a fair price. I'm tempted to build it but from what I have found this seems to be a somewhat rare car. Seems like they never caught on and just kind of faded away.

Any idea what this thing is worth? Is it worth holding onto for a future sale or just build and run it?

kaiser01 08-04-2009 09:03 AM

RE: Question about Value. Tamiya Madbull

they aren't considered vintage by any means, so they aren't worth much.

they are an evolution of the grasshopper/hornet chassis but with independent front suspension.
still has a soild "live" rear end, lots of rear unsprung weight.

the car is rather fun to build and drive. bouncy but fun. it's like a cross between a lunch box and a grasshopper with a more modern front end.

Lunchboxer 08-04-2009 09:30 AM

The Hopper / Hornet have independent front suspension too...

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

they are an evolution of the grasshopper/hornet chassis but with independent front suspension.
still has a soild ''live'' rear end, lots of rear unsprung weight.

kaiser01 08-04-2009 09:52 AM

lol, you know what i mean.

you are right though, let me re-phrase: they had horrible friction dampers and a nasty toe problem. (kinda sounds like it's infectious lol)

john01374 08-04-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I have a few cars waiting to be built along with a half dozen projects in the works so there's no hurry to do anything with this one.

Lunchboxer 08-04-2009 01:26 PM

Yeah, crazy bump steer.... :D

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

lol, you know what i mean.

you are right though, let me re-phrase: they had horrible friction dampers and a nasty toe problem. (kinda sounds like it's infectious lol)

john01374 08-04-2009 01:36 PM

Think anyone would be interested in a build up of an old car like this? I could do one if anyone wants to see it..

Dale Gribble 08-04-2009 01:46 PM

People here ALWAYS love to see build-ups, so I say yes. By all means, build it. The Mad-Bull won't go down as one of Tamiya's must have vintages.

john01374 08-04-2009 01:58 PM

Alright cool, I'll build this one next. I'm currently modding an old TL-01 mustang into a rally car complete with skid plates, rally tires, wheels, shocks and a good old Subbie body. Once that's done I'll build the Bull.

TIGER76 08-04-2009 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: john01374

Think anyone would be interested in a build up of an old car like this? I could do one if anyone wants to see it..
Hell yeah its always nice to see a tamiya born hehe ;) Like others have said it wont ever been a classic and the handling was terrible but its unique like some other tamiyas and we always love a build thread [sm=thumbup.gif]

Just to get you in the mood

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQAhdPtyx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQAhdPtyx4[/link] :D

rclugnut10 08-04-2009 07:59 PM

yeah my friend gave me one, i really didn't like it that much my evader was better in every way... except the tires, they were BIG, tho not a lot of grip, so i let it go for a very low price, but yeah i did drive it a few times, major suspention geometry issues... tho a fun car i bet if you got some badlands to slap on there, and some better shocks...

the lug

john01374 08-05-2009 09:08 AM

Tiger - I watched that Vid about 10 times the day I bought the car home (along with all the other youtube vids). I love the way it just kind of slides around.

RC - I have to agree with you. The stock L-box tires are hard as a rock smooth so there is no grip there.

I'm going to build it all stock and give it a good run then I think I'm thinking i'll slap on an old set of spikes I had left over from my old Monster Beetle. That should give it a little traction and keep it all Tamiya. Then maybe a S-600 for a little more go. We'll see how it goes. if I can find some free time I might be able to start this sometime next week.

Lunchboxer 08-05-2009 09:23 AM

Do the build thread... :D

I will post my NIB in the thread tonight... ;)

redfisher1974 08-05-2009 09:26 AM

Build threads are cool...go for it.[8D]

kaiser01 08-05-2009 09:36 AM

build it!

thats the most fun part.

Dale Gribble 08-05-2009 09:59 AM

Oh what, oh what does the LB have in store for us tonight...

Lunchboxer 08-05-2009 10:13 AM

LOL, nothin'.. just saying I have a NIB Mad Bull, so I will post a pic at the thread if John make an official Mad Bull thread or if he use this thread as the build thread.. that's all..

Yes, I broke my vow of no more RCs.. [:@]

john01374 08-05-2009 10:52 AM

BOX - I'll start an MADBULL build thread in a week or so when i'm ready to put it together.

Lunchboxer 08-05-2009 10:54 AM

I'd suggest start a "Mad Bull Resource Thread" so all the Mad Bull discussion / pics / etc. can go into it.. as well as the build..

And yeah, you can start that now.. and maybe put some background info / research of Mad Bull in it... Make a thread that's useful to others..

LOL, just a suggestion, you don't have to.. !

TIGER76 08-05-2009 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

LOL, nothin'.. just saying I have a NIB Mad Bull, so I will post a pic at the thread if John make an official Mad Bull thread or if he use this thread as the build thread.. that's all..

Yes, I broke my vow of no more RCs.. [:@]
LOL :D Mr tamiya hasnt slept properly since you made that vow lb [:o]

You know that NIB is calling your name right?...LB..LB..LB..Build me ..build meeeee !! :D

john01374 08-05-2009 11:08 AM

Good suggestion LB. I'll start that thread when I have some time tonight.

Lunchboxer 08-05-2009 11:12 AM

Yeah, Tamiya Inc. reported below than expectation earning last quarter due to my absence, so I decided that I can't let that happen.. (joke) :D

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

LOL :D Mr tamiya hasnt slept properly since you made that vow lb [:o]

You know that NIB is calling your name right?...LB..LB..LB..Build me ..build meeeee !! :D

Lunchboxer 08-07-2009 03:03 PM

Still waiting for the Mad Bull thread... :D

kaiser01 08-07-2009 03:07 PM

lol LB.

a little impatient huh? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

Lunchboxer 08-07-2009 03:19 PM

Well, I got to post my pics, right?!?! ;)