RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   which lipo battery fits the grasshopper? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9090798-lipo-battery-fits-grasshopper.html)

frugalman 09-12-2009 10:13 PM

which lipo battery fits the grasshopper?

[&:]

gelbschnee 09-12-2009 10:15 PM

RE: which lipo battery fits the grasshopper?

I think just a standard 6 cell fits in there. Im not 100% sure but im close.

crushgear64 09-12-2009 10:16 PM

if a 6 cell sub c pack fits you can use an intellect 2s 4000mah lipo. its the same size as a 6 cell stick pack.

Druss 09-12-2009 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of the 2S lipos will fit where a 6 cell sub c will fit.

See pic below of a Trinity 6 cell 3700mah nimh pack and a Trakpower 2S 4900mah 25C lipo.

gelbschnee 09-12-2009 10:33 PM

Oh gosh I did not see that you put LIPO in the thread title. Sorry, in that case I couldn't tell you :D

robwiljas 09-13-2009 03:07 AM

No idea how good it is, but this one will fit perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYPERION-SWIFT-R...d=p3286.c0.m14

ekimusman2 09-13-2009 04:28 AM

a little off topic, but can the grasshopper handle brushless/lipo power?

JPerrone 09-13-2009 07:01 AM

I have an elite 4800 Mah, 2S, it fits fine.

Seems to work fine with the stock motor and electronics. This also works fine in Midnight Pumpkin.

I suspect an upgrade in motor will eventually require an upgrade in ESC; maybe the next size up brushed motor will work, but brushless is doubtful

regards

rebuilder 09-13-2009 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

No idea how good it is, but this one will fit perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYPERION-SWIFT-R...d=p3286.c0.m14
Thats a novel idea..............it actually looks kinda neat. But, i have never seen a lipo with a molex connector, it looks sort of odd.....................makes the whole pack look like an old nicad stick.[:'(]

Druss 09-13-2009 11:47 AM

If you think that's odd, imagine the fact that the novak hv maxx esc comes with dual molex connectors and it's for 1/8 size 4S lipos.

Anyway... most 2S packs will fit if they are designed for car use.

Also, while brushless + lipo is usually associated with power you can also use them for less maintenance, better efficiency and longer run times w/ a 17.5t system which I'm sure the grasshopper can handle.

Redvanmafia 09-13-2009 11:53 AM

brushless tamiya's?, my lunchbox's tranny stipped right out with a titan 12t on 7 cells

gman1 09-13-2009 05:24 PM

A good batter y for the grasshopper is one that has the wires that protrude from the side. For example SMC lightning volts, Zippy flightmax hardcase lipos are good as well, plus you can't beat the price on them. I just picked up a Zippy flightmax 4000Mah 30C for $32.18 which is a steal if you ask me. The quality is superb and about 1/4 the price of some of the bigger names. Here's a link to one of the batterey's i own from Hobby K I N G http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...000mAh_2S1P_30. It's funny that you ask this question since i just rebuilt mine 2 nights ago. I used my SMC which is the same as the Zippy. Good luck my friend.

86waterpumper 09-14-2009 12:36 PM

The picture of the trakpower next to the 3700 pack is deceptive. The problem is that the grasshopper isn't even designed for cells 3300 size or larger, so most 4200 and such as this won't fit even if they are regular sub c stick packs. I like the ace lipo it is small enough to fit good in all the tamiyas i have found so far.

rebuilder 09-14-2009 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 86waterpumper

The picture of the trakpower next to the 3700 pack is deceptive. The problem is that the grasshopper isn't even designed for cells 3300 size or larger, so most 4200 and such as this won't fit even if they are regular sub c stick packs. I like the ace lipo it is small enough to fit good in all the tamiyas i have found so far.
I wasnt under the impression that mah value had an impact on the size of sub "C" cells....................mine are all the same size.:eek:

Casper06 09-14-2009 01:52 PM

The Ace Lipo packs fit perfectly in the older re-released model Tamiyas. Just be careful with the balancing plugs they are fragile on those packs I need to replace mine because it snapped. [:'(]

kaiser01 09-14-2009 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

brushless tamiya's?, my lunchbox's tranny stipped right out with a titan 12t on 7 cells
something wasn't right then because that gearbox in particular is damn near bullet proof.

the lb has a little bit more weight to push but i have run 9t motors in my hornet with no issues at all. (must have bearings)

Druss 09-14-2009 03:28 PM

That's a little weird. I have a friend with a working hotshot and he runs 4500mah nimh packs in it with no problems. Unless the grasshoper is that much different from other buggies of similar era.

860Crawler 09-14-2009 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Druss

That's a little weird. I have a friend with a working hotshot and he runs 4500mah nimh packs in it with no problems. Unless the grasshoper is that much different from other buggies of similar era.

The GH battery slot is tight. I barely fit a 3600nimh IB pack in there, I mean barely. It was made for dinky 1500nicd packs

frugalman 09-14-2009 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: gman1

A good batter y for the grasshopper is one that has the wires that protrude from the side. For example SMC lightning volts, Zippy flightmax hardcase lipos are good as well, plus you can't beat the price on them. I just picked up a Zippy flightmax 4000Mah 30C for $32.18 which is a steal if you ask me. The quality is superb and about 1/4 the price of some of the bigger names. Here's a link to one of the batterey's i own from Hobby K I N G http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...000mAh_2S1P_30. It's funny that you ask this question since i just rebuilt mine 2 nights ago. I used my SMC which is the same as the Zippy. Good luck my friend.
hi gman1, do you have any pics of the GH with the zippy pack?
i'd be interested to see this

thanks!

Druss 09-14-2009 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

ORIGINAL: Druss

The GH battery slot is tight. I barely fit a 3600nimh IB pack in there, I mean barely. It was made for dinky 1500nicd packs
Sorry but... the first pic is a very old shark 1500mah nicad beside the trakpower. The second pic is of the 1500mah nicad on top of the trakpower. The only problems with lipos with some of the older cars/trucks are like the TL series where the battery holder is under the car and has rounded corners.