RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   how to remove stripped screws (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9265230-how-remove-stripped-screws.html)

fiatuno09 11-19-2009 12:41 PM

how to remove stripped screws

Hiya,

I just received my used Hyper 8, but many of the underside countersunk hex screw are stripped and wont come out.
Is there a tool to remove them?

Also, the center driveshafts on the car have a lot of movement in them - they can move back and forth a large amount. Is this normal for this car?

Many thanks for any help!

rclugnut10 11-19-2009 05:08 PM

RE: how to remove stripped screws

you'll need to dremel out a slot in the head of the screw make sure its deep and use a flat head tho it could be the differance between metric and SAE too, idk about the driveshaft you can use feul tubing to make up the differance

the lug

Chris_RC 11-19-2009 05:27 PM

Dremel cutoff tool, make sure you get a nice clean cut so the screwdriver will grip.

If it is back and forth play, it is fine. If the outdrives have a slot in them from being worn by the driveshafts, then you might want to replace.

fiatuno09 11-20-2009 06:13 AM

the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out

happywing 11-20-2009 06:52 AM

If there's red thread-lock, then you'll have to head it up with a small torch or lighter.

Chris_RC 11-20-2009 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: jjl5590

the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out
Don't use allen keys, they will strip out very easily causing the screws to strip.

hummbug 11-21-2009 06:40 PM

I imagine you plan to replace the screws. Then you could use worn allen wrenches of that specific size and glue them in. That should even overcome the locktite

rclugnut10 11-21-2009 09:28 PM

i'd epoxy over glue... its a much stronger bond imo

the lug

hummbug 11-22-2009 11:13 AM

Doesn´t epoxy belong in the glue-category?

rclugnut10 11-22-2009 11:36 AM

imo epoxy is different because its a chemical reaction between two compounds where as glue is a reaction bewteen the air and the glue but yes you could argue that expoy is a glue but you can't really compair epoxy to elmers, or wood glue, or even super glue while the super is the strongest epoxy is stronger just becuase there's a stronger chemical reation going on this makes stronger molecual bonds so it will take more force/heat to break them apart

the lug