RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Which car is best for me? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9726052-car-best-me.html)

AtomicSpeed 05-11-2010 11:00 AM

Which car is best for me?

Hi there,
At the moment I have a Micro High roller which I love but it won't do a few few things that I want so I am thinking about getting a new car!

I am thinking about the Losi High roller, Traxxas Stampede,Traxxas Rustler or the HPI wheelie king.

With my car I would like:

1. Be able to drive in a forrest

2. be very strong

3. go fast

4. Be able to drive in a field

5. Be able to go at high speeds without the gears stripping

Thats about it.

Please could you help me choose which one is best for me.

Thanks,
John.<br type="_moz" />

MountainMotor 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

RE: Which car is best for me?

If your driving it much in the woods I wouldn't get a Rustler. They're better on pavement/dirt, not so much off-road. It sounds to me like you want something fairly fast so I'd go with the VXL Stampede, they're fast and really tough. The Wheelie King isn't very fast but it is 4X4 so it will get around better off-road. It depends a lot on how much off-road driving you plan on doing.

john01374 05-11-2010 11:26 AM

You just described the Stampede....

Drive in forest - All of them

Be very strong - Just eliminated the HR

Be able to drive in field - Pede is good, WK will be better if it's really rough. Rusty has low ground clearance.

Go fast - Just eliminated the WK

High speeds without stripping gears. Again just eliminate the HR again.

John

rymansl2 05-11-2010 11:35 AM

I voted Stampede. Both of the traxxas vehicles will probably be the strongest (and have metal tranny gears so you don't have to worry about stripping) but the Rustler won't have the ground clearance you are looking for compared with the Pede.

AtomicSpeed 05-11-2010 11:36 AM

WOW that was a fast reply!
Thanks a lot!

It looks like I would be getting a stampede - I don't have a lot of money and can only afford the normal stampede (Not the VXL) would it still go fast with a Lipo?

Thanks,
John.

proanti1 05-11-2010 11:46 AM

Be able to drive under water.

I want a car that can also fly.

It must be able to go 90 miles an hour in grass.

Must be able to wheelie backwards.

Must have 6 hours run times.

You can describe what you really want... but you will really be let down when you finally pick up a car that you were told can do all these things. A stampede is a rustler with ground clearance, word is that the highroller sucks, wheelie king wheelies. Go to a hobby shop and see them in person. Whichever one you decide to buy, you will be making compromises.

MountainMotor 05-11-2010 11:47 AM

The lipo would pick up quite a bit of speed but you need to get the correct lipo, lipo charger, lipo low voltage alarm, etc. If your just starting into r/c then I'd probably just stick with a nice 7-cell NiMH for a while.

rpg711 05-11-2010 12:06 PM

What about the emaxx?

MountainMotor 05-11-2010 12:12 PM

I think for his price point the E-maxx will cost too much. Even a brushed E-maxx costs more than a VXL Stampede.

Eman77 05-11-2010 12:13 PM

Stampede seems to fit most of the OP's criteria. One problem though, is it's only 2WD. But that's what you get in a relatively inexpensive, light truck.

Once you start looking for durable 4WD trucks, you end up spending more $$ for bigger/heavier vehicles like E-Savage, E-Maxx - that run 2 motors, 2 battery packs, etc. Cost just keeps going up if you want that.

Maybe start with the Stampede and go from there.

PS - driving in grass is rough on RC vehicles, and the stock Pede tires (Talons) suck at it. Fortunately, Imex makes some great aftermarket wheels/tires that won't break the bank. I really enjoyed having these on my Pede when I had it:
http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-25...JA-WIDE/Detail

(hope I'm linking to the correct size - 2.8s seem correct, right?)

AtomicSpeed 05-11-2010 12:34 PM

Hey thanks - it looks like the stampede is the coolest!
Those tyres look cool - do they sell them in the UK?

Where can I buy metal parts for the stampede xl-5 in the UK?

Thanks,
John.

kaiser01 05-11-2010 12:37 PM

if you didn't need to go so fast a clodbuster would fit the bill, they are a blast inthe woods.

but i voted for the 'pede, damn tough trucks.

MountainMotor 05-11-2010 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: AtomicSpeed

Hey thanks - it looks like the stampede is the coolest!
Those tyres look cool - do they sell them in the UK?

Where can I buy metal parts for the stampede xl-5 in the UK?

Thanks,
John.

What kind of metal parts are you looking for? If at all possible I would stay away from too much aluminum, it adds weight, can be bent, and costs a lot more. The stock parts on the pede are tough but I'd look into RPM arms or other parts that are really tough.

AtomicSpeed 05-11-2010 01:14 PM

I thought that aluminium parts where lighter and stronger?

Where do they sell all the hop ups for the stampede?

kaiser01 05-11-2010 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: AtomicSpeed

I thought that aluminium parts where lighter and stronger?

Where do they sell all the hop ups for the stampede?
think about that for a minute:

say you break an A arm and replace it with an alloy arm. next time you do the same thing instead of an A arm you now break the bulkhead.

i'd rather replace plastic A arms when they break then the entire front end.

rymansl2 05-11-2010 01:54 PM

Yea stay away from aluminum if you plan on beating on the truck. If you want stronger parts get some RPM ones. The stock Pede is decently quick and with a lipo it should be peppy. You can always upgrade to a faster brushed motor since the stock XL-5 speed controller takes down to a 15 turn.

cika 05-11-2010 04:40 PM

Get the Stampede VXL. MUCH faster, tuff as nails, good runtime, a bad a** truck. I love mine! Put some RPM arms,bumpers,carriers,etc. and you will have a blast with little down time for repairs with the RPM parts. I cant break mine if I try!

qoisdhc oqina 05-11-2010 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cika

Get the Stampede VXL. MUCH faster, tuff as nails, good runtime, a bad a** truck. I love mine! Put some RPM arms,bumpers,carriers,etc. and you will have a blast with little down time for repairs with the RPM parts. I cant break mine if I try!

Did you read his previous post?He doesnt have enough.

I vote pede as well, i had a rustler(its been converted to a slash) and i mostly bashed onroad with a few pavement jumps.Like others said,doesnt have the clearance for offroad.

rclugnut10 05-11-2010 07:53 PM

hpi e firestorm flux and some bigger tires like PL badlands sounds like a sweet setup to me

thelug

Johnny_B500 05-11-2010 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

hpi e firestorm flux and some bigger tires like PL badlands sounds like a sweet setup to me
What he said lol. [8D]

SyCo_VeNoM 05-12-2010 11:24 AM

Aluminum arms are only if your going to put the truck on a shelf and never run it ;)

I've used them once on one of my nitros I tore the whole rear end up (including diff case) off a really low jump. The arms bent and had to be chucked also.
Went back to nylon arms never had that issue again

ScottKelly911 05-12-2010 11:39 AM

I suggest that you save a little longer, mow some lawns or wash your neighbors cars (assuming you're a kid) so you can save for the VXL Stampede. Brushless will not only handle more power, but will be more reliable since you wont have to mess with the brushes etc. later down the road. You'll be much happier.

Redvanmafia 05-12-2010 11:57 AM

If your smart kid, you'll listen to the people that say dont get aluminum, ive experianced the headache for my self, but i do have a few friends that just bend there bent aluminum back, there just bashers so it doesnt matter

J.D.T 05-12-2010 01:06 PM

wheely king is the only 4 x 4 option, you'll be so sorry if you get a 2wd, they don't bash well, poor in grass, very poor in the field and will get stuck alot in the woods as all it will take is one toothpick sized twig to get it stuck IMO.
For a cheap 4 x 4 on your side of the pond I would look into the Ansmann Royal Flash or tamiya DF 02 buggy which can easily be converted to a truggy with just wheels and tires plus a truck body
Exteme Machines Thunder Traxx and Raptor Traxx are based on the Df 02 and come with big tires and RTR for very cheap ($79.99 at costco for a while $119.99 US from various internet dealers) but it seems everyone is out of stock.