RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Thunder Tiger Electric offroad (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9998384-thunder-tiger-electric-offroad.html)

mc4798 09-13-2010 05:01 AM

Thunder Tiger Electric offroad

A thread for Electric Thunder TIger offroad rc's
Plenty of info out there for the bikes,boats and heli's but not much to be found on the electric offroad stuff.

Also figured it would be a good place for thunder tiger electric owners to talk shop :)

mc4798 09-13-2010 05:20 AM

RE: Thunder Tiger Electric offroad

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few bad pics of the sparrowhawk xt tore down getting diffs cleaned and filled with oil.

mc4798 09-13-2010 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a pic of the truck

airmayle 09-13-2010 08:47 AM

Nice pics. Did it come with bearings in the steering posts or did you add that? That's nice if they added bearing there, most company's just put bushings in that area. Really looks like good quality RC. I was able to get a parts list for the XB, XXB and thundertiger4u has the parts and even the hop up parts. Tower Hobbies stocks this company just no vehicles. Thanks for all the info.

mc4798 09-13-2010 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: airmayle

Nice pics. Did it come with bearings in the steering posts or did you add that? That's nice if they added bearing there, most company's just put bushings in that area. Really looks like good quality RC. I was able to get a parts list for the XB, XXB and thundertiger4u has the parts and even the hop up parts. Tower Hobbies stocks this company just no vehicles. Thanks for all the info.
No problem and glad to help.

They come stock with full rubber sealed ball bearings including the steering posts. They have a real quality product . The phoenix i have had for a month or so. Was running it all the time and didnt have to touch the ball diff:) Will get pics and info up soon.

Thundertiger4u has had everything I have inquired about. Somethings are not listed but you can email them and they are fast to repley and add items to web page.

have to upgrade the servo,shocks and those fixed camber links.

Shocks that are correct length are Blitz/e-firestorm, Evader ST.

Thinking this will be the next motor it gets. Should wake it up a little.

filly.bluntz 09-13-2010 11:11 AM

nice pics I have the xxt and that motor cart handle lipos or can the esc burnt mine out on the first run I dont rate that motor but that just me

mc4798 09-13-2010 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: filly.bluntz

nice pics I have the xxt and that motor cart handle lipos or can the esc burnt mine out on the first run I dont rate that motor but that just me

What gearing did you use ?

Dark asylumn 09-13-2010 11:34 AM

mc just a thought I noticed that the diff has straight cut teeth  the raze st uses a spital cut gear it might fit. I know that when the raze was just out and popular sorta, the ones that had the straight cut teeth people were chewing up, but once they upgraded to the new sytle they quit chewing them up. its just a thought. figured you might have one around you could check. nice ride there

mc4798 09-13-2010 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Dark asylumn

mc just a thought I noticed that the diff has straight cut teeth the raze st uses a spital cut gear it might fit. I know that when the raze was just out and popular sorta, the ones that had the straight cut teeth people were chewing up, but once they upgraded to the new sytle they quit chewing them up. its just a thought. figured you might have one around you could check. nice ride there

raze gear diffs are a little large.

Thanks also.

filly.bluntz 09-13-2010 11:54 AM

i used the gearing it came with 72/22

mc4798 09-13-2010 12:00 PM

i used the gearing it came with 72/22
that is what caused the failure.

Whenever you go up in kv you need to gear down.

mc4798 09-13-2010 04:21 PM

Ran the xt at the track again today.

Reedy 3300kv motor, Ezrun 60a esc 22/72 gearing

7k diff fluid in front
5k in rear
35wt oil all around
hitec 645mg servo (borrowed)

Much better run this time. Proably wont be any better till I replace the fixed camber links and replace replace stock tires. Which have good grip just not on a very loose track.

Video now up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U8Ks27bD_M

mc4798 09-14-2010 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update and upgrades.

Replaced the fixed camber / steering links. Added rpm ball links and 4/40 balls.

Installed evader st shocks.

PN#'s used
DTXC9821 X2 : 65mm camber links 2 sets
DTXC9820 x1 : 60mm steering link 1 set
RPM #73372 x1 : 4-40 rode ends black
ASC6272 x1 : Ball cup dust covers

Already had this stuff laying around and feel this will be the best thing I have done to the truck. Besides replacing the servo.

Next is more motor and tires. Time to start begging the wife ;)

airmayle 09-14-2010 04:20 PM

Looks good MC. Did you get my PM about the seller on Ebay (tires). Also that auction has five days left will place a bid closer to the end. Thanks.

filly.bluntz 09-14-2010 05:00 PM

MC what motor you getting next
</p>

mc4798 09-14-2010 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: airmayle

Looks good MC. Did you get my PM about the seller on Ebay (tires). Also that auction has five days left will place a bid closer to the end. Thanks.
Thanks, Didnt get a chance to run it yet but will friday. Was busy with another TTR car http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

I did get the message. Big thanks btw . We should proably communicate so we dont bid against each other ;)

filly bluntz : Im really thinking that ripper4900kv motor will be next. Has a good price and the 3900kv version motor has great power and runs cool. Just the way I like them.

filly.bluntz 09-16-2010 08:33 AM

can the ripper take lipo's and the kv is a bit high so I have been told,  people say nothing over 4000kv max for 4wd models that's why I had to get another motor due to having a high kv on my ez-run motor[:@]

mc4798 09-16-2010 05:30 PM

can the ripper take lipo's and the kv is a bit high so I have been told, people say nothing over 4000kv max for 4wd models that's why I had to get another motor due to having a high kv on my ez-run motor[:@]
On the 60a ezrunthat is the limit. 4000kv on a offroad vehicle.

You could put 4900kv motor in the xxt or xxb without issue with the stock esc, But you have to gear it down.

Gearing is critical in saving your esc and motor .

filly.bluntz 09-18-2010 07:22 AM

so on my xxt i have a 3570kv motor and a 60a on 3s gearing 72/22  so i should be able to go up a gear or so

mc4798 09-18-2010 08:46 AM

so on my xxt i have a 3570kv motor and a 60a on 3s gearing 72/22 so i should be able to go up a gear or so

on 3s ? No You need to go down on pinion.

Maybe 16t would be a good starting point.

Even on 2s you should go down to maybe a 20/21t. The original motor is a 3300kv so a faster motor means gear it down and 3s means gear down some more ;)

mc4798 09-18-2010 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple pics of the phoenix xb

Its a copy of a b3 with metric tooling.

mc4798 09-18-2010 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is a nice discovery.

Have not had any tranny issues with the phoenix but did not like the single slipper pad with bushing setup. SO figured proably mod it to the b4 set up like the evader.

Removed tranny inspected ball diff etc... Removed top shaft and compared it to b4 shaft. Same tooth count, offset and diameter http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...y/msn/idea.gif

Well figured why not install the whole setup andwhat do you know ?Perfect fit http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifNo mod needed other than bolting on parts.

BTW. b4/t4 gear cover fits also.

rufus2000 09-19-2010 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
great thread!
Just as I am discovering their 4x4 lineup
I am really trying to decide between the truck or the buggy.

This one's the buggy, XB version...

I love that these come with steel transmissions, they should be able to handle some crazy fast setups.
Wonder if its better to get the basic version XB or XT and then upgrade...

mc4798 09-19-2010 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: rufus2000

great thread!
Just as I am discovering their 4x4 lineup
I am really trying to decide between the truck or the buggy.

This one's the buggy, XB version...

I love that these come with steel transmissions, they should be able to handle some crazy fast setups.
Wonder if its better to get the basic version XB or XT and then upgrade...
Depends of you need a 2.4g radio and brushless sytem ? The sparrowhawk xxb/xxt come with a nice brushless setup and a pretty good 10 model 2.4g radio for roughly a 100.00 more. So if you dont have either it is worth the extra bones.

From what I can tell the diffs are bomb proof, smooth as butter and dont leak when using silicone fluid.

Either is a blast and tough as (minus the shocks) nails just depends which one you like :)

rufus2000 09-19-2010 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tough decision for sure, I already have brushless and electronics but I could get the brushless version and sell the electronics.
However take a look at this beauty with all the hop ups, I would definitely get that motor mount.
The carbon fibre chassis and top deck look really nice too, but they're pricey. Maybe its time to consider making my own.
Also, I understand they sell titanium camber and steering links... probably those in the pictures.
I'll have to get a quote on all those hopups and see what makes more sense..