Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TC6 drive system help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
SiLlY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC6 drive system help?

Hello people! Previous member coming back for more fun. I used to be reg'd here but I guess they might have pruned old registrations.

Anyhoo.. I'm coming back for another round of RC addiction. This time I'm jumping into the 10's, on-road cars, nitro and electrics. I've got an ntc3 with an OS .12xz speed spec II that I've been playing with. Last night i just picked up the TC6. I'm looking around, researching a good setup for the TC6. My lhs suggested a GTB Novak system but.. I've read a lot of cons about it. Not really diggin that. I've got a 65c lipo, sitting on the shelf, waiting for it's life partner.

What do you guys suggest for the tc6? I know it's a loaded question with all the crazy options out there. But hopefully your suggestions can get me in the right direction.

I'm mostly a "lot basher" with inspiration to race someday. My skills need serious honing though. Till then.. I'll practice in the alleys.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TC6 drive system help?

Tekin RS or RS pro. Great units.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
OvalRacer99

Novak GTB's are great esc's. Been running them for a while and not a single problem.
The things I have hers is about the Novak Havoc esc's but haven't tried them. Recntly purchased a Novak Kinetics and so far it is working great, still learning all the programing.
Also, tried a Tekin RS and it was JUNK, smoked 3 within a month so I went back to good ol Novak!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
associatedrules

Tekin RS is the best speed control period, especially if you are going to race. You also get excellent customer support and free updates from Tekin. Novak GTBs are very old and do not offer dynamic timing advance. The Novak Kinetic is a good speed control as well, but you don't see them in many winner circles in onroad lately.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

My opinion -

Trash it or sell it.

Buy an XRay T3 2011 edition or Tamiya TRF417. Those two cars DO NOTPLAYAROUND. They win.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM
SiLlY

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info. I'd like to keep trusting my lhs. He's been very helpful and hasn't steered me wrong yet. I was surprised when I read some of the negatives of the GTB. But of course.. I'm aware that at some point it's a lot of opinion and bias. I'll take a look at the Tekin RS/Pro.

dragnse7en, as much as I appreciate everyones opinion.. please don't waste my time, nor your own.. with that kind of noise. I research what I get into quite a bit. And while you are somewhat correct about the models you've mentioned.. I was obviously not interested in the options you've suggested, at this time. Read the OP. Reason is irrelevant. If there is any amount of sincerity in your reply.. I appreciate it. Otherwise... got any useful info or advice for me? TIA
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 PM
SiLlY

Well fellas.. I ended up going with Novak's GTB. I read good and bad from both suggested systems. Decided on the GTB because the lhs had one in hand.

I don't know if I'll be one of the unlucky guys but I gotta say.. I am happy!! Aside from the car jumping off the table when I first turned it on (luckily..the battery was not secured to the chasis and yanked itself apart, mid air)... this little beast is a projectile missile on the black top.

Thanks for the help everyone! Time to order more batteries!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
r/c_freak

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

Novak GTB's are great esc's. Been running them for a while and not a single problem.
The things I have hers is about the Novak Havoc esc's but haven't tried them. Recntly purchased a Novak Kinetics and so far it is working great, still learning all the programing.
Also, tried a Tekin RS and it was JUNK, smoked 3 within a month so I went back to good ol Novak!!!

this guy must work for novak, lol. Novac = cheapest china parts for most american dollars.

I have been running Tekin in my 8 scale buggy, my 10 scale b4, my girlfriends b4, my losi xxx-s, which i have just put in my tc6. i have been running these systems from 1 year and nothing, with my newest tekin system being about 2 months old. NO issues, before my girlfriend ran a novaK system in her buggy, burned out in 3 months, i was at the track the other day and a week old novak system smoked real nice, i even got video of that one. We will see if novak replaces it, doubt it, as they didnt replace my girlfriends, but hey stuff happens.

Also These is a Xray team driver that races at my local track, dude has a stick up his butt, he swears he is the best and his car is a secret that know one can know about. Once i seen him freak out on this kid for putting a drift car on the track, i had never seen him there before and there was no sign saying drift cars couldnt be on the track. Issue was he had plastic tires, track only allows rubber. I totally understand, but do freak out like he just broke your car on purpose. Anyways because of him, i will never get a Xray car. Bob from associated is an awsome guy willing to tell you anything and everything about his car. which is why I go associated from here on out. Ialso like their customer support alot!!!!

Also only get the pro speed controller if you wanna go lower than i think 10 turn motor, other wise the rs will be fine. And just cause you car is old doesnt mean it cant perform, i brought a losi xxx -s and had a tc5 keeping up with me!!! nice its the driver more than the car.

oh wow, just read the last one stating you went with novak, well i hope the best for you. hopefully you get a few years from it, i would invest in a fan for the esc to try and keep it cool.